Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Questions on Replacing Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Festivan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on Replacing Power Steering Pump

Hey guys, proud owner here of a '96 3.0L RWD Aerostar Utility Van with about 138k miles, and leaking power steering fluid. At this point I'm replacing fluid from zero every time I have to drive it which is about once a week. I've located the leak and it seems to be coming from the pump/reservoir around the pressure hose. The hose is loose as in i can move it around a bit, but from what I've read, this is normal and the hose is supposed to be like that. I figure that at this mileage, with so much air going through the pump, all the crazy squeeling and whining it does even when full, at this point it probably makes sense to replace the whole pump while I'm in there, as opposed to just doing the reservoir. Anyway, I'm planning to do this in a couple of weeks, and have some questions...

1) The pump - I've read on this forum that the best way to go on brand of the pump is Motorcraft. Thing is, I have a friend who works at Napa that can get me parts at cost, so after core refund I think I can get a reman for about $30 all in. The motorcraft on rock auto is about $125. I'd prefer to save the money if its not that big of a deal. I don't mind squealing/whining, but I don't want to have to do the job over.

2) Hoses - I'd like to replace the hoses coming out of the pump while I have this thing all taken apart, but I'm not exactly sure what parts to get. I know one is the pressure and one is the return, but there are variations of each based on the research I've done. The parts on the Napa site have different descriptions like "with switch port", "without switch port" "56in hose" "26in hose", and so on. Any idea which ones I need, specifically the ones connecting directly to the pump? I havent been able to find anything in my research online, in Haynes, or Chiltons manuals.

3) Washers - Whether or not I replace the hoses, should I replace the washers at the connection point? Chilton's seems to recommend replacing them. Will they come with the new pump?

My local auto parts shop has the pulley remover/installer for me to rent so I've already got that squared away. I'm pretty sure I've covered all of my bases otherwise. Any other tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you take anything apart check the return hose where it returns to the reservoir (it's in the back and hard to see). It may be as simple as tightening the worm clamp that holds it secure. I've had this leak on both of mine.