1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question on AOD for 8BA

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:20 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It doesn't have it, some trucks that had manual throttle have 1/2" - 3/4" of the throttle shaft sticking out. You would be able to fab a lever off that.

There are two flatheads in the local EFV8 club with AODs behind them, but both are blower motors with 4-bbls, so no help there.
Yea, I'm thinking I may have to put a 4 bbl on it or a multi-carb setup, which I want to avoid.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Replace your throttle section of your existing carb with this:
CL-94-P-ALUM
Can't link directly, it's on Vintage Speed's catalog under 94 Parts
$119.00. It has I believe larger throttle bores than a stock 94, might need to clearance your manifold a little or just run double gaskets. Then figure out an arm that will clear the bowl.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks Ross, I have sent an email to Charlie Price to see if he can confirm that this will solve the problem.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by harleymsn
Thanks Ross, I have sent an email to Charlie Price to see if he can confirm that this will solve the problem.
Well, it looks like despite all the claims by the folks selling the conversion kits, the AOD will not work with the stock carburetor. After contacting Charlie Price (who never got back to me), Speedway,(It should work with a modification?) Bendetson's,(It's not all bolt up, you have to fabricate some stuff) Wilcap,(no response) Summit (don't know) and Holley who recommended that I contact Daytona Parts Co. Ron from Daytona got back to me "Joseph! Sorry, but there is no 3bolt base carburetor that will fit your manifold that used a "kickdown" lever. You would need to find an adapter plate from the 3 bolt manifold to a normal 4 bolt holley base pattern, and then use a later style FORD 1965-1971 (Motorcraft) 2100 2bbl with the FORD kickdown lever on the throttle shaft.
Thank You!
RON"
I found that Speedway sells an adapter from the 3 bolt to a 4 bolt that fits a Rochester 2CG carb, so it won't fit a Ford or Holley. They also have an adapter from the Holley base to the Rochester carb. I'm trying to find out if that will work the opposite way.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I would call Vintage Speed, they aren't known for being responsive to emails. From my perspective, no question you can use their base section with the longer shaft, but you'd have to adapt an arm of the right length to the shaft and rig up a way to anchor the cable-type AOD throttle valve.

I ran a 2110 on my stock manifold for a number of years, no problems. The 2G solution isn't viable, they get mounted backwards so all the throttle arms are on the passenger side.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

I would call Vintage Speed, they aren't known for being responsive to emails. From my perspective, no question you can use their base section with the longer shaft, but you'd have to adapt an arm of the right length to the shaft and rig up a way to anchor the cable-type AOD throttle valve.

I ran a 2110 on my stock manifold for a number of years, no problems. The 2G solution isn't viable, they get mounted backwards so all the throttle arms are on the passenger side.
I figured the Rochester would not work, what I was trying to figure out is if I can't find a 3-4 bolt adapter that will fit the 2100, if I could use both adapters to match up the 2100 carb to the manifold.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Sorry, I misunderstood about the "2100", you are talking about the Autolite 2100 I believe. Like used on SBF's in the 60's? I'm sure only an aftermarket manifold will fit them, unless you make your own adapter.

The Holley 2110 (sometimes called a 2100 or ECG) has the same bolt pattern as a 94 but bigger throttle bores.

I'll ask around the guys I know with AODs on their flatties, even tho they are blower motors they may know some trick to do it.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:43 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry, I misunderstood about the "2100", you are talking about the Autolite 2100 I believe. Like used on SBF's in the 60's? I'm sure only an aftermarket manifold will fit them, unless you make your own adapter.

The Holley 2110 (sometimes called a 2100 or ECG) has the same bolt pattern as a 94 but bigger throttle bores.

I'll ask around the guys I know with AODs on their flatties, even tho they are blower motors they may know some trick to do it.
That's the problem, I have been unable to locate any flathead manifolds that would fit that carb, that is why I have been looking at various adapters.

As I mentioned before, Speedway has This adapter Late Carburetor Adapter - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors to convert the FH 3 bolt to the Rochester 4 bolt. They also have this adapter Holley 2300 to Rochester 2G Two Barrel Intake Carburetor Adapter - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors that adapts the Rochester 2G to the Holley 2300. And they also have this adapter Universal 2 Barrel Carburetor Adapter - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors That fits multiple carbs.
The multiple adapters would wind up also acting as spacers, so I'm not sure how that effects the motor.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I can hardly wait for this discussion to continue at Truckstock...

Thanks Joe and Ross...

Old 08-02-2015, 01:39 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I can hardly wait for this discussion to continue at Truckstock...

Thanks Joe and Ross...
Installing another carb and getting the transmission hooked up is several months away, but I am trying to get things lined up.
The sad part is that I contacted three different transmission adapter companies before I bought the transmission, doing my research and asked specifically about the carb, they all said that many folks have set them up with that carb.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
How about using a 49-53 Mercury intake? Cast iron single carb intake with four hold down studs and larger bores under the carburetor throats. If a convenient carburetor doesn't bolt directly on it still may be easier to find an compatible adapter.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
See below. "Krylon32" is the Cornhuskers guy. From other threads it sounds like he is running a 4-bbl.

aod trans behind flathead - The Ford Barn

Old 08-02-2015, 08:07 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Ross, I just noticed that you have a rochester 2G carb on your truck, do you have an adapter for that or the Mercury manifold?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You keep using the term "kickdown" and are talking about running a 2100 with an auto. Bear in mind these kickdown linkages will not work with an AOD. Nor will a 'Ford' Holley with a kickdown linkage. The AOD needs a "pull" not a "push" as most stock non-AOD kickdowns are.

Lokar makes a kit, but requires some sort of linkage to PULL the cable. Ross suggested an extended throttle shaft for the 94 - speedway sells them for $15.99:

Ford/Holley 94 Extended Throttle Shaft - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors

Use this and an arm like this:

Aluminum Throttle Linkage Arms - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors

Then you can install the Lokar TV cable - you may have to fab/mod the carb side of the bracketry, but that shouldn't be a big deal. You want to have the TV arm attach point for the cable be a 1:1 movement of the throttle. So it will need to be the same distance away from the centerline of the shaft as the throttle ball is.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Ross, I just noticed that you have a rochester 2G carb on your truck, do you have an adapter for that or the Mercury manifold?
I'm running a Canadian Merc aluminum manifold. I also have a Canadian 8RT aluminum manifold with an adapter (below) for a 2G, if you're interested. But I don't see how it would help, unless you ditch the stock pedal linkage and go to a cable-type gas pedal. Then you could run the Rochester "facing forward". And even then you'd have to fab a lever arm to pull the AOD cable.

Quick Reply: Question on AOD for 8BA