Lets see those 5th wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM
cferguson77
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by defyrftr
My new 16 Coachman Chaparral 370FL front living. First trip out with it. So nice to able to press auto level button and be done with it.

How do you like that front living Doug? We looked at a few of them before we bought ours. We also saw the newest front kitchen with a big window in the cap. Way out of my price range, but nice!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:15 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Mods to my Montana 5th wheel..........

Did some upgrades to the Forward Storage Compartment...........

A Water reel for fresh water connection. This reel connects directly into the FW's water system.

I have to get a male connector for the hose. Then it connects to the Bronze fitting.
Roy, I am interested in that hose real setup.

How did you attach those 1x4's to the aluminum floor joists? Or did you bolt through the 1x4's from the reel to the joists? What bolt/screws are you using?

Looks like a typical hose reel from the department store, just turned upside down?

Did you run a potable water hose from the reel to your water inlet for the trailer?

I like the idea. Don't know if I can make it work, but it would be nice to get my water hose out of a storage container.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:29 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cferguson77
How do you like that front living Doug? We looked at a few of them before we bought ours. We also saw the newest front kitchen with a big window in the cap. Way out of my price range, but nice!
The front living is growing on me. This like most other big ticket items, I'm just a signature. Wife fell in love with it, now it sits in driveway. It also came with a bigger TV than what I have in my home.

Two coaches pull out into beds and there is a dual recliner facing the tv

Old 04-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by wingedone

How did you attach those 1x4's to the aluminum floor joists? Or did you bolt through the 1x4's from the reel to the joists? What bolt/screws are you using?

Looks like a typical hose reel from the department store, just turned upside down?

Did you run a potable water hose from the reel to your water inlet for the trailer?

I like the idea. Don't know if I can make it work, but it would be nice to get my water hose out of a storage container.
Wish I had that much space under my rig but toy haulers assume you store stuff in th"garage" area. Oh well. Very nice setup thou.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,600 Posts

The 1x3's are attached directly to the Alum floor joist. In front with #8 self tapping steel screws. The rear with #10 self tapping screws. The front also has #8 self tapping screws with big washers going through the hose reel and board into the joist. The rear of the hose reel didn't line up on a floor joist. So it is attached to just the board with a #10 wood screw.

The hose from the reel to the water inlet of the FW (5th wheel) is the short connector hose that came with the reel. Had to cut off on of the FM ends...push the hose through the wall between the beg compartment and the small control center compartment. (I had drilled a 7/8" hole in the top of the control center compartment) Then I attached a Male brass fitting to the end of the cut hose. This attaches to the water inlet to the FW. (I used an elbow there).

What I have not done yet but will.........
Putting the drinking safe (White) hose on the reel.......The hose must be put on backwards.......the Male end must be attached to the Male connector in the center of the reel. I have a FM to FM brass coupling.connector for that.
The FM end of the hose will then be pulled from the reel and connected to the fresh water supply at the campground. To do that, I am going to drill a hole (probably 1" dia) through the side of the control center compartment. That way the hose comes from the reel.....through the control compartment wall.....into the control compartment......through the 4" hole built in to the bottom of the control compartment.....out the bottom of the FW.....on to the fresh water faucet at the campground.

I'll post more pictures as I finish.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
Wish I had that much space under my rig but toy haulers assume you store stuff in th"garage" area. Oh well. Very nice setup thou.
Understand.........I have my 2010 Raptor up for sale.........

Old 04-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by defyrftr
The front living is growing on me. This like most other big ticket items, I'm just a signature. Wife fell in love with it, now it sits in driveway. It also came with a bigger TV than what I have in my home.

Two coaches pull out into beds and there is a dual recliner facing the tv
This is your new Man Cave....

Old 04-25-2016, 05:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Since mine Is for extended cold weather I don't have the exposed floor joist to do the nice job Roy did.

I do have the mor ryde reel for the electrical and probably the best thing I did was an over engineered step for the better half.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 PM
wingedone
Tuned

I'll post more pictures as I finish.
Thanks!

I saved your description to Word for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing the final system.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Mods......Montana FW

Photos of work done......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16256969

Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Great work Roy!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Great work Roy!
Thank You........This is fun.....

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 PM
rangerider1247
New User
My Fifth wheel old but still works for me.

2002 HR Alumascape with my Harley in tow.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
It gets you out there Ranger, thats the main thing, happy camping

Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 AM
rangerider1247
New User
Thanks GIGGER, we looked at those toy haulers couldn't find anything that tickled our fancy, didn't like the idea you lose 10 feet of living area. So we just live with what we have.

Quick Reply: Lets see those 5th wheels