1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Losing a quart of oil every 500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Losing a quart of oil every 500 miles

So about 2 weeks ago I did an oil change on the old Ford, yesterday before I had started it up, I checked the dipstick and it was already a half quart low and it's been 279 miles since I just did the oil change. I know the passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking, but any ideas where the other bit of oil is going? The only time it burns oil is the little bit that drips on to the exhaust manifold and that's it. I've checked under the truck for drops and nothing. I'd expect about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so but with 260,000 miles I think the old truck is on its last life.

Currently I'm looking for another truck anyway so my dad can have the truck back for himself...need something that gets better than 12mpg on a good day.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
try replacing the the PCV, not with a el-cheep-o aftermarket one, as these tend to not works as well. You'll need to get a Motorcraft one as see if things improve.

Is the tranny gaining fluid? or the radiator gaining? trace down the oil that is leaking on the exhaust to its source. What all has been done to correct this so far?

I bet dear ole dad would appreciate you trying to get things back to a reasonable rate before you hand the keys back.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Not much really. Transmission hasn't gained any oil. Somehow the truck is loosing about half a coolant res. of coolant about every couple of months even after adding Bars stop leak so probably a cracked head there. The oil leaking on the exhaust is from the passenger side valve cover gasket...would have replaced that but with how old the truck is the bolts are severely rusted and will snap if I even try to get a socket or wrench on it.

Truck is still under his name for insurance and everything...other than putting gas in the tank, changing oil and doing maintenance to it everything else is up to him for the truck, unfortunately...so it probably won't be done.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't around that level to begin with? I know if I filled my '97 to the book specs it would be at least half a quart low according to the dipstick.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
100% positive. Started it up to let it go into the oil filter, checked and re-checked and it was on level ground each time.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Not much really. Transmission hasn't gained any oil. Somehow the truck is loosing about half a coolant res. of coolant about every couple of months even after adding Bars stop leak so probably a cracked head there. The oil leaking on the exhaust is from the passenger side valve cover gasket...would have replaced that but with how old the truck is the bolts are severely rusted and will snap if I even try to get a socket or wrench on it.

Truck is still under his name for insurance and everything...other than putting gas in the tank, changing oil and doing maintenance to it everything else is up to him for the truck, unfortunately...so it probably won't be done.
Well.... considering that your loosing coolant as well...you probably have a bad intake or head gasket....sounds like you could use a good tune up anyway with getting 12mpgs. unless you have your foot into the bottom side of throttle more times then not.

Kinda doubt that the cam/valve cover bolts are on that tight that you can't get them off...agreed they may need replacing, but they should come loose.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Could be a head gasket. Ive seen it leak at the back of the head, and drip on the exhaust..........and its also probably burning it as well.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Fuel economy is more than likely do to a missfire in number 5. Injector I'm pretty positive is the problem, since the plugs were changed about 30,000 miles ago and we are doing every 50K or so. Coils are good so far. The bolts on the valve cover are pretty rusted out, and I rather not break one off.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
if it is not the PCV valve, then you are burning it......... Change the valve and test.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:57 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Testing the valve is by shaking it and listening if it rattles or not correct and if its not rattling its bad? That's honestly what my dad told me.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Testing the valve is by shaking it and listening if it rattles or not correct and if its not rattling its bad? That's honestly what my dad told me.
for the most part that works and holds true...but, from what you're experiencing, if a new approxamatly $10 item can help slow down the consumption, wouldn't it be worth the try.

Yes, you clearly have other issues that are more concerning. the misfire that has been happening , that recently came to light , which will contribute to the poor MPGs. & if let go long enough will take out the catalytic converters.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
There is a laundry list of stuff wrong with the truck, such as the muffler falling apart from the inside (baffles are nearly shot if not already) the sheet metal for the muffler is already breaking from the seem. Though the mileage is getting a bit better about a constant 13.2mpg around town, getting the injector replaced as well as looking into the PCV valve is going to have to be next. I'll credit Ford engineers that its been a pretty reliable engine despite it being such a huge PITA to work on.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Well I just pulled out the PCV valve and it was still rattling. But my dad is going to pick up a new replacement. To his knowledge since we've had the truck for about 200,000 miles or so we have never replace it. Looking at the valve cover closer the top half and the side that faces upwards is caked in oil so maybe its not the valve cover gasket? When the valve is replaced what am I going to look for to make sure that it was for sure that? Just top off the engine with the missing amount of oil and check it every few hundred miles?

If anyone ever needs the part number the one my dad picked up from O'Reilly's its a MicroGard PCV 2322 part# FRAM FV2322

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Well I just pulled out the PCV valve and it was still rattling. But my dad is going to pick up a new replacement. To his knowledge since we've had the truck for about 200,000 miles or so we have never replace it. Looking at the valve cover closer the top half and the side that faces upwards is caked in oil so maybe its not the valve cover gasket? When the valve is replaced what am I going to look for to make sure that it was for sure that? Just top off the engine with the missing amount of oil and check it every few hundred miles?

If anyone ever needs the part number the one my dad picked up from O'Reilly's its a MicroGard PCV 2322 part# FRAM FV2322
good luck with those after market PCV's...especially the Fram, including Puralator,...I'd stays far away as possible from the Fram & their subsidiary's . Their (Fram),quality has suffered greatly in the last few years...you are really better off with Motorcraft. hate to be this nit picky...but I've been there done that & wasn't happy with the results. Put a MC one in and life returned to normal.

Yes, if the rubber grommet that the PCV sets in isn't sealing and oil coated/crustly it probably would be good to get a new one of those too. If it does't seal you will loose vacuum and that plays into efficiency

But yes , in general, change it (PCV) out and continue to monitor the oil level.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
I did not see any grommet at all, might be on the valve cover? New valve did not even come with one either. All it came with was a universal 90* elbow for other vehicles. If it were up to me it would have been a MotorCraft part but only a handful of places around here carry them except for dealers. But so far it seems to be running a bit better. Who'd of thought a small simple piece could make such a huge difference? If I can find a replacement grommet it's going in. I've known Fram filters were crappy compared to other brands and OEM. Even though the quality of those were not there we still ran the filters and never had any issues. I think the first 6 years we owned the truck we used Fram filters (still do for air filters) but since Wally world carries MotorCraft oil filters I run those now.

Quick Reply: Losing a quart of oil every 500 miles