New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

Socal New Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:18 PM
whalepirot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Socal New Old Guy

I hope I can help some others, as y'all have already helped me.

A retired pilot, but a lifelong car guy, I now own two F100s. The new one is a survivor '57 that is very stock, a lifelong California truck L6, 3-treed, (mfd San Jose) that I bought as a cheap service vehicle for my '55 F100. The odo works as did every gauge, but the ammeter. The replacement voltmeter works, as do all dash lights, heater, vents and cables, wipers; all but the E-brake, so far. The L6 purrs nicely after I retuned it, and runs cool with a rodded radiator, newly cored heater, new hoses and 160* thermostat.

I am doing minimal items to it, for safety, reliability and convenience, for now, like the 3-point belts, anti-rattle window kits, rebuilt suspension (including new king pins); am mid-3rd member change to lower the 3.70 ratio to 3.10. I was thrilled to find repop defroster ducts, after fabricating a sheet metal glovebox and making my own horn connector for the deluxe wheel horn ring (unavailable on earth, I found). I canned the PO's crudely cut carpet and cleaned, prepped, then 2-coated the cab floor with truck bed liner. Quick work with a leaf blower cleans her right up! The glass is all okay but the rubber is cracked, the sheet metal is outstanding but for small sections of the lower doors and fwd bed floor, chrome is suitably pitted but the 'patina' is attractively and refreshingly, simple as is this great truck.

I bought a new 15" wheel, trim rings and innie small hubcaps, which are proper for earlier trucks, but my preference. The paint is a flat brownish purple which strangely looks cool against the white wheels with new chrome. There are a few small creases and dents so I neither sweat or seek parking lot dings; a nice break from driving the other cars.

They are: custom '84 Corvette, heavily modified and fast, a pearl white '55 Nash Rambler with '93 mustang GT 5.0L and AOD (ever a sleeper) sporting gold body 'chrome", but appearing totally stock and running a stock '56 Nash diffy and stock wheels and hubcaps. A couple BMW 7s and a Smart Cabrio share space with a '95 BMW sport bike, which loves running parts in Socal traffic.

The '55 got me into a local truck club (hosting the Western nationals, every June), after it lay dormant for 25 years while my prospective build partner finished junior and senior high, the Navy and 4 degrees. Flame away, but it sits on C4 Corvette suspension and runs my original Vette's engine, now stroked to 383, thru a 700R4, 3.07 rear end to 18" steelies. Were I to do this today, it'd be a five liter and AOD.

enough

Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 AM
TrueBlue02
Junior User
Welcome from another new member.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM
whalepirot
Freshman User
Thank you.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How bout some pic's of your Fords at least.

Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer? If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your picture taking device before you can post it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here

Tony

Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM
whalepirot
Freshman User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
How bout some pic's of your Fords?
Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.
Are those Arctic Kats? I have a house in Anchorage, arctic.

I figured I was restricted from posting pics, being too new.

The '55's nose:

Downsized headlights, surrounded by a self-made ring of LEDs, as DRLs.

The '57, as it arrived home, prior to any work of any kind:

Survivor, as I found it,with very little rust, only on lower doors and front of bed floor.