1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

poor man's dyna mat

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
As seen in my sig I have a '59 f350 I put an old school cummins 6 cyl turbo diesel in. It has no floor mat, no headliner,no firewall mat, no nuthin' but bare steel. The temporary straight pipe exits just behind my door. I love this truck, but with town 12 miles away I'm about deaf by the time I get home. I am definitely going to try this out and try some homemade lizard skin I read about by mixing cheap latex house paint with micro spheres sold for thickening epoxy or polyester resins. Last summer my wife brought home a dodge emblemed exhaust system from the dump. Perfect shape, like someone upgraded to a high performance system. Muffler, pipe and resonator all like new. I think it was a hint.....

Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using peel & seal for years. I did have an adhesion challenge in the trunk lid of my 1940 Coupe in Albuquerque, where the temps can be well over 100 degrees. One of the pieces kept falling off, but the paint in this area was flaking as well, so I'm not certain it was the peel & seal or the poor paint. Once it falls off once, though, it never seems to want to stay on long afterwards (ie - lower temps would make it drop off).

I never had any smell from it whatsoever. I now use it exclusively on floors and use the foil-backed bubble insulation with 3M heavy duty spray on rubber cement for everything else. I'm experimenting with spray-on undercoating inside of doors and kickpanel wells...jury is still out as I don't have enough data points.

The 3' roll is meant for roofing, comes in 1 square (ie - 33' roll) and is about $100, but will do multiple cars. If you have multiple projects, it's a worthwhile investment, otherwise, the 6" roll and patience are better.

As an aside, it's a great roof repair over rubber roofs for campers and RVs.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I just bought a case of 3M 8840 sound isolation pads. They are 20 x 20 inches and about a 16th inch thick.
I just did a quick search for these pads. From Amazon, they are $14.48 per pad. From O'Reilly's, they are $94 for a set of 10.

At 19"x 19" in size, how many would one of our cabs need?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
The pads are actually 500 cm on a side which figures out to be somewhere between 19-5/8 to 19-3/4. Not a big deal but it may mean something to someone who has some close tolerances. The pads do cut with scissors and they are FLAT with an even surface...unlike Dynamat. There is a clear film on the outside surface of the pad which can be left in place or removed should you wish to paint the pad. The audio installer told me that they regularly use a heat gun to help the pad conform to curves. If you are in the San Diego area and want to pick some up, I buy them from my jobber for $55 a case. As for how many you need that would be up to you to measure on your own truck...one thing I can say is that there is little waste since any cutoff/trimmed pieces can be "tiled" together and used where a full sheet is not needed.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
The pads are actually 500 cm on a side which figures out to be somewhere between 19-5/8 to 19-3/4. Not a big deal but it may mean something to someone who has some close tolerances. The pads do cut with scissors and they are FLAT with an even surface...unlike Dynamat. There is a clear film on the outside surface of the pad which can be left in place or removed should you wish to paint the pad. The audio installer told me that they regularly use a heat gun to help the pad conform to curves. If you are in the San Diego area and want to pick some up, I buy them from my jobber for $55 a case. As for how many you need that would be up to you to measure on your own truck...one thing I can say is that there is little waste since any cutoff/trimmed pieces can be "tiled" together and used where a full sheet is not needed.
Charlie, how many are in a case? I'm in Riverside, so I could make that pick up easily...

Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Normalbloke
Senior User
I've just done the whole cab and under bonnet of our 56 with Dynamat, using nothing but scissors....

Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Charlie, how many are in a case? I'm in Riverside, so I could make that pick up easily...
There are 10 sheets per box. I got the last box they had on the shelf the other day...not sure how many they stock so if you want some let me know a couple of days in advance.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
There are 10 sheets per box. I got the last box they had on the shelf the other day...not sure how many they stock so if you want some let me know a couple of days in advance.
OK, that's a great discount... 75% off the Amazon single sheet price and 47% off the O'Reily's 10 pack.

I'll PM you when the time to do this comes up. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:49 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
OK, that's a great discount... 75% off the Amazon single sheet price and 47% off the O'Reily's 10 pack.

I'll PM you when the time to do this comes up. Thanks.
I don't know how much body/paint work that you do but if you need materials now would be a good time to let me know and I can get it all at the same time. My discount is usually 40-45% which makes a big deal when you are paying $200+ for a gallon of clear, etc.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:00 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I used peel and seal on my entire interior and I'm happy with it. I applied it over home made lizard skin, which is the thermal barrier. The peel and seal is for sound. On vertical surfaces and the roof, I sprayed some 3m contact cement on both surfaces to help out. We get 100 degree heat here in the summer and no loosening or smell. I've had this applied since the truck went on the road in 2011, no problems.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 967 Likes on 861 Posts
Thanks for the endorsement rhopper. That's good to know.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
thanks for all the info guys... this group never fails to amaze me with their knowledge... much bettter than Amazon 'testimonials'.

j