1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

poor man's dyna mat

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
poor man's dyna mat

Cuts with standard scissors

self adhesive

about an 1/8 inch of dense rubberized material with a heavy aluminum foil backing

I just butt the strips together.

I stole this idea from the folks at the Miata site I frequent. If it has been posted here before, please excuse me and consider it a simple reminder.

I bought a roll of aluminum lined, self adhesive roll flashing at Lowes. The cost was about $17.00. Just like the expensive sound deadener, it applies easily a sticks to the surface if it is clean and dry. Instead of square sheets, the roll is 6 inches wide and 25 feet long. One roll will complete the foot well area of an F-1 quite nicely. The product is called "Peel & Stick"

Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Peel and Seal is well known as the poor mans dynamat, only issue is some say it has an asphalt smell and others have said in the heat it will break free and fall if used on the roof. Whether they were speaking from experience or just re-hashing internet babble I dont know. If I could get the truth on those two issues I would try it.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Cool
I've heard of people using it but I don't know anyone with firsthand experience. Please keep us informed on how you like it. I'm curious about the "asphalt" off-gassing smell and how much of an issue it might be.

Thanks for the tip
Bobby

Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I have used it quite a bit. It helps as a sound deadener....however it is not a heat shield. I actually did some redneck heat tests on the stuff with a heat gun and a infra red thermometer. It starts turning liquid at around 100 degrees.
So I won't use it around heat sources or overhead. It also smells when heated...
Just my personal experience.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

I used it in two of my older Miatas. It works great. I have not had any experience with it beginning to turn liquid but, I have had a couple of occasions of the smell. However, it seems once it happens it's done.
As one can see, I used it in the foot wells and across the tranny housing. There shouldn't be much in the way of any heat issues there. I'm going to pull the seat next weekend and cover that area too. Based upon my experiences, it should bring the cab noise, (which is very loud), down a few db anyway.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Dynamat is applied to a body panel to reduce vibrations in that panel...kinda like putting your finger on a vibrating cymbal. It is made of butyl rubber. The aluminum foil backing is there to isolate the butyl rubber from whatever you put over it...upholstery, carpet, etc. and to hold the butyl rubber in the shape of a sheet. Don't believe the hype that this thin sheet of foil does anything to isolate heat, it's an afterthought that the marketing folks threw in. I think that your peel n' seal does a better job at heat isolation than Dynamat. IMO lizardskin is superior to both in that department however.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks Charlie. I mentioned the heat in the foot wells as a notion there should be no melting of the rubberized material. I really find that hard to accept anyway. The stuff is made as a flashing material. I know it has reached well over 100 degrees here I Delaware. I can't imagine this product in parts of Florida, Texas or California if melting is an issue.
I have never heard of lizardskin. Ok, looked it up. Paint on, that's a different approach.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another option is the bubble wrap sold for insulation purposes with foil on both sides. Upholstery/carpet glue it in.

I have used this in my factory five roadster and provides decent temp insulation

Old 05-04-2015, 02:37 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the peel n' seal from Lowe's about 3 years ago when I redid the Bronco interior. I put it on the floor, sidewalls, door interior, and the interior of the metal part of the roof over the front cab area.

I suggest you overlap the edges 1/2" to 1" and roll it to get air bubbles out so it will lay flat.

It did work great for sound deadening. I did notice some heat reduction but it is probably reduced by the black insulation blocking heat transferred through the floors more than anything, and yes there was a smell for about a week only, never again since then.

This is the South Georgia / North Florida area.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Took my first ride in it since the insulation install yesterday. I thought that stuff did a decent job with the Miatas, it's like night and day with the truck. I could actually hear the radio, if I had one. This will, no doubt, go down as the very best <$20 investment in this truck.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A search turned up Peel and Seal in several different sizes. The three foot wide may be a better choice for a vehicle. ???????

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Three foot wide would be great. My local store doesn't even advertise it that way.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

I have been doing a lot of research on this and similar products. It seems the general agreement is the peel&seal is not a good choice for vertical or overhead surfaces. The most common suggestion is that it can soften and slide/fall from these areas. However, every where I looked, most people were/are happy with it when used on the floor or other horizontal areas. Since I do not intend to do the doors or any other vertical surface, I think I'm going to remain happy with what I have.
My Miatas needed help in the trunk floor and rear shelf areas. Both are horizontal surfaces. Maybe that is why I have not had a negative experience.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Great info
Thanks everyone

Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I just bought a case of 3M 8840 sound isolation pads. They are 20 x 20 inches and about a 16th inch thick. Their main claim to fame is that they have the appearance of late model automobile sound isolation treatments. A high end sound system installer here local speaks very highly of them and uses them in all his installations. The adhesive is not as well suited for applying of rough surfaces (read, my course application of home-made lizardskin) but it looks to be perfect for my 40 coupe for the new floors and wheelwells. 3M has some videos online if anyone is interested...

Quick Reply: poor man's dyna mat