Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

happy 16 yr. old

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 AM
halltrash
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happy 16 yr. old

nices son just turnd 16 and is deisel crazy so i gave him my old 91 f250 4x4 with a 7.3 IDI it had not been started in over 4yrs. put set of charged batt. in cycled the glow plugs and it started first shot know he wants to know if it will roll coal

Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 AM
GoFastGuy
Junior User
Wow he is extremely lucky!!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 AM
fnfast88
Senior User
It can but it's hard to do.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 AM
cman1120
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy not this again... it will as you say "roll coal" but won't be happy about it. You can turn up the fuel screw a few flats but I highly recommend he doesn't screw with it unless the truck has an EGT gauge. Even then be careful.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't roll coal... just... don't...
Even coal fired steam engines ain't supposed to roll coal when they're fired right. When you see them pouring out black soot and smoke, that's done for show!

Now a little smoking under load is fine but when there's a huge cloud of it well that just looks dumb. Worse yet it makes the tree huggers whine and gives them a visual "example" of why they should try to make more rules and regs... ignoring the fact that most of what's in diesel exhaust settles to the ground instead of going into the atmosphere.

Otherwise, yes awesome and good for him, nice of you!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Must be nice to do that but if he just wants a diesel to roll coal, IMHO I don't really think he needs a diesel, IDI's aren't very find of rolling coal, like previous poster said, it makes the tree huggers get their panties in a wad and it's really not good for the engine especially if he's gonna tow something, cranking up the fuel w/o a turbo=easiest way to melt a piston etc. if you wanna get some more knowledgeable folks to chime in go post in the IDI subsection, tellin you now you'll get flamed regardless, just make sure you have EGT gauge and pay attention to it, ask the IDI crowd what you should keep it in

Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As the rest say it *could* but I wouldn't recommend it, yes I like to roll coal but I do avoid doing it ( Plus I also have a gasser anyways) and besides the tree hugging people getting in a wad you (or he) may also find some unwanted attention from the local fuzz

Old 05-04-2015, 10:24 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
As the rest say it *could* but I wouldn't recommend it, yes I like to roll coal but I do avoid doing it ( Plus I also have a gasser anyways) and besides the tree hugging people getting in a wad you (or he) may also find some unwanted attention from the local fuzz
Second that notion on the fuzz, just get a gasser and run it really rich just uh don't wash the cylinder walls lol
As for original post yes it'll roll coal just not the best thing to with it

Old 05-04-2015, 10:35 AM
fnfast88
Senior User
I don't think rolling coal is dumb or wasteful. This generations load stereo or hydraulics is rolling coal. I say better rolong coal than a joint.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fnfast88
I don't think rolling coal is dumb or wasteful. This generations load stereo or hydraulics is rolling coal. I say better rolong coal than a joint.
really? "Rolling Coal" as the phaggot flat bill wearing douchers that drive "bro'd" out diesels that completely wreck a vehicle call it, it dumping un burnt fuel out of the exhaust, might as well drive down the road with a can of diesel dumping on the road.

not sure where you are seeing hydraulics its air systems now

loud stereos are illegal as should "rolling coal" be as well. i'm in college and i dont even get it while being right in the middle of the phenomenon, i Even HAVE a sound system in my truck. and yes when i am driving down the highway in the middle of iowa i crank that bad boy up and listen to whatever i want, i know FOR A FACT it will bounce a dime off the roof with every hit if the windows are up, yet i still dont blast it in town.
as least depending where you are at rolling a joint is legal

Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
fnfast88
Senior User
Did you even read my post I am not going to muddy up a happy thread with an argument. But in the 90's I had a 74 caddy on hydraulics 6 15's in an s10 pass through 10 inches of lift and 40 inch tires. Like I said it's the new cool. Let them be the laws will catch up to them.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
I know, let's make two columns: one who thinks "rolling coal" is cool and a column of guys who thinks it's idiotic.

Put yourself in one or the other. There's no doubt which one I'm in and there's no doubt which group contributes more to society.

One column of guys who USE tools and one column of guys who ARE tools.

It's a good parallel to the weight-lifting world: there are those that train to better compete in a sport and/or get stronger and healthier. Then there are those that train to get "jacked" to intimidate, to score (not a total negative there!) with the babes and generally walk around with thier arms sticking out being a douche.

Sorry, OP. You did a great thing!

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Lucky son you have there. As far as rolling coal goes don't do it. As mentioned above a good tuned engine will still smoke a little under load. I don't know about Ohio but out here in the smog **** state of California the dbags rolling around rolling coal got what they deserved diesels after 97 here have to be smogged. It sucks for all the smaller company's with diesel fleets because everything now has to comply with stricter smog laws. Particulate filters the new def fluids blah blah blah. There are a lot of owner operators that wont/can't even come into California any more due to this crap. Some dbag thought it would be funny to roll coal on somebody driving I think it was a prius or some other tree huggers car, come to find out the guy that got the coal rolled on was a somebody in local government. Needless to say the coal roller got in trouble low and behold new stricter laws and legislation was almost instantaneously passed when it was brought to vote. So it's up to you, you can roll that coal and give this hobby yet another reason for them to Crack down on it or you don't roll coal and help this hobby grow responsibly.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM
fnfast88
Senior User
3 columns for, against, and those for letting the youth have their fun if it's not hurting anyone. The bad part about debates like this the same people that say "the world ain't like it used to be there are too many laws we don have any freedoms" are the ones that want laws to limit what they don't think is "cool" or "right". Do I agree with rolling coal no but my dad didn't like my stuff back in the day. But still supported me in my hobbies that didn't hurt anyone. If you don't let a kid be a kid they will find a way to have fun what better way than messing with cars trucks instead of other self destructive behaviors.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Lol I'm not sure how fun rolling coal is. I know how stupid it looks when I'm getting on the freeway and some idiot rolls coal all the way down the ramp and I can hardly see anything. Yeah maybe fun but also dangerous nothing worse than being stuck in traffic behind a truck or semi smoking like a train because it's not tuned right. I am one of the ones that thinks there are to many rules and regulations. Some are for a good reason and some are just because someone pissded the wrong person off.

Quick Reply: happy 16 yr. old