1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need technical help with power fold mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need technical help with power fold mirrors

My 2008 did not originally come with power folding mirrors, but i swapped them over. I installed both mirrors, switches, folding relay, and even swapped my factory door wiring harness with ones from a truck with power folding / telescoping mirrors. All wiring done as if it were factory at the door plugs. All functions of the mirrors work fine except folding.
Is there anything that needs to be done in order to get them to function properly? Does the body control module operate the folding function requiring a flash update?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:34 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think in 08 only the 450 and up came with the power fold so the wiring harness in the truck probably does not support the application, I could be mistaken so don't jump on me.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
I think in 08 only the 450 and up came with the power fold so the wiring harness in the truck probably does not support the application, I could be mistaken so don't jump on me.
Actually 08 JOB 1(built 2007-jan 2008) fx4 and lariats came with power fold/telescoping mirrors. Job 2 (built after feb 2008) xlt trucks were available with power folding mirrors also. My dash was wired for the mirrors, but not the doors.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Anyone Able to help?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
Anyone Able to help?
Do they move at all when you push on the powerfold button?

Here are some instruction I did for my mirrors. I had to add all the wiring and switches for powerfold and powertelescoping. My mirrors still need to be sync'd in order to fold properly but I do get some movement on them. Perhaps something in the thread below can help out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15271495

Tim M

Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by timf150

Here are some instruction I did for my mirrors. I had to add all the wiring and switches for powerfold and powertelescoping. My mirrors still need to be sync'd in order to fold properly but I do get some movement on them. Perhaps something in the thread below can help out.

Tim M
Nothing. I only here the relay click. I tried manually folding them in and still nothing. I will check out that thread you posted.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by timf150

Tim M
So i gave it some more thought. First thing i need to do is bench test the mirrors to verify they do fold. I should be able to connect a battery to pin 2 & 3 on the mirror and they should fold, then reverse polarity to unfold?
If that works, seeing as i hear the relay click when the switch is pressed. I know power is getting to the relay. I would need to test the relay outputs or check the relay itself. Perhaps the relay is bad?? I could also check the male pin connectors i added to the door plugs. Maybe they aren't making contact? Does this sound about right? And tips for testing the relay?

Old 05-17-2015, 02:28 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
So i bench tested each mirror. Tested the passenger side first. It folded and unfolded. i put all the wiring back together, and it folded with the switch. i tested the driver side mirror it folded as it should. but after i put that wiring back together, i tried the switch again. And neither mirror folded. I only heard the relay click. So i am thinking i have a bad relay. I will attempt to test that after.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So i bench tested each mirror. Tested the passenger side first. It folded and unfolded. i put all the wiring back together, and it folded with the switch. i tested the driver side mirror it folded as it should. but after i put that wiring back together, i tried the switch again. And neither mirror folded. I only heard the relay click. So i am thinking i have a bad relay. I will attempt to test that after.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have the answer.
You still need the power fold relay module and the pigtail that plugs into the harness above the parking brake. The relay runs roughly $85 shipped through most discount Ford parts online stores.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Any updates on this?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:57 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by brickman
Any updates on this?
Yes! Not from who you want, but there is a harness that plugs in (BC3Z-14A413-A) directly to the main harness and with the relay, controls the power fold functions.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome Thanks ! I want to get the power fold /extend mirrors for my 2013 F250

Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Awesome Thanks ! I want to get the power fold /extend mirrors for my 2013 F250
You're welcome. Realize that you may still need to change your door harnesses to make it work. Of course you need the proper mirror switch as well as door bezel and telescope switch.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:00 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Any updates on this?
So my problem is had after I installed everything turned out to be a bad electrical splice I had made. Redid the splice, and all worked fine. The install was pretty easy once you figure out the wiring and pin locations. To simplify everything, I replaced the entire driver side door harness, and used wiring from the original harness to add on the passenger side. Made it easier to have the pins from the drivers idea harness. I went to a Ford dealer and got the pin pigtails for the cab side harness, and used trailer wire for under the dash. They have worked great the last 2 years.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:27 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
So my problem is had after I installed everything turned out to be a bad electrical splice I had made. Redid the splice, and all worked fine. The install was pretty easy once you figure out the wiring and pin locations. To simplify everything, I replaced the entire driver side door harness, and used wiring from the original harness to add on the passenger side. Made it easier to have the pins from the drivers idea harness. I went to a Ford dealer and got the pin pigtails for the cab side harness, and used trailer wire for under the dash. They have worked great the last 2 years.
I'm curious about what you're saying here. The driver's side was plug and play, correct? Then you used your original driver's side harness wires to add the extra wires needed for fold and telescope to the original passenger side harness? What or how did you use the pin pigtails? Then you ran the fold and telescope wires under.the dash? Or am I missing what you're saying? I see that in my original post to this thread, I mentioned the folding relay despite you saying you had it already.
I'm trying to get this set up on my dad's truck, but the passenger side door harness is on backorder. The driver's side harness is off from a 2014, so it's possible the plugs don't match up to the switches. Any insight or further explanation would be appreciated. By the way, according to the dealer, '08-'10 door harnesses are obsolete.

Quick Reply: need technical help with power fold mirrors