Rear Leaf Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:44 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Rear Leaf Spring Question

Hi Everyone,

I am sick of the "soccer mom" leaf spring feel.
I have been looking at doing the V/B spring upgrade and have not been able to find any used springs yet but I have only begun searching. I currently run 275/55/20 tires and the left front will just touch the inner wheel well at a full right turn so I would like to raise it 2-3 inches higher and make it level too.
I have been reading on here about V/Bs till my head is ready to explode.
I did locate a set of 2006 F350 2WD springs but the owner doesn't have the truck anymore so I can't get a door code off of him.
I tow a twin axle trailer about once a month and a 21 foot Chris Craft boat on occasion as well. Most of the time my Ex is my daily commuter vehicle to work and back( 20 miles each way)
My questions are:
1. Will these springs fit my Ex?
2. Does anyone know what code these springs would be?
3. Any have any idea as to how much this would approximately raise my Ex?

I would like a little firmer ride but nothing crazy. If these springs would work all I would need to find are the front leafs.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-02-2015, 12:17 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used used X codes off a 550 and the standard modded B codes and got exactly 2 inches.

I can't comment re your tire sizes but I think the V codes hardly raise it more than an inch or so, mostly stiffen and support better.

Probably the modded B codes with a taller 3.5 inch block or an add a leaf out back or add some of you old springs that you cut down to take place if the taller block.

And up front, do the V or X codes and add an aftermarker Mini pac or front spring hanger spacer or add cut down oem springs as spacers.

Look up WE3ZS posts on here for pics.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:26 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Thanks ARodder, My big question is if the 2WD springs would fit my Ex. I want to be sure before I try and negotiate to buy these springs. I do like the idea of having the F350 springs to the F250 springs being a little heavier duty. I actually had the 16' twin axle trailer hooked up today with 2 snowmobiles inside and I could not believe how much the back went down. Keep in mind I do not own a WD hitch which would probably help some. I just want a better ride than the factory supplies.

Rob

Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
In most cases the F-250 and SRW F-350 actually have the same springs, with the 1 ton having the taller blocks.
Yes those '06 rear SD springs will fit your EX, but without more info it's going to be an unknown as to how much they will give you. But they should be better than the wet noodles on a stock EX. If you can get the numbers/letters off the actual springs maybe our local spring data guru Rob Ross can decipher them for you, he has super spring powers!
Also with your PSD a new V code should raise your front end about 1.5" according to my notes. With aftermarket longer shackles the finished ride height can be tuned to your target height while keeping the more mellow V codes instead of moving up to the heavier W or X codes.
Likewise the rear springs can be modded various ways to meet your towing load needs and targeted ride height.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:12 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
In most cases the F-250 and SRW F-350 actually have the same springs, with the 1 ton having the taller blocks.
Yes those '06 rear SD springs will fit your EX, but without more info it's going to be an unknown as to how much they will give you. But they should be better than the wet noodles on a stock EX. If you can get the numbers/letters off the actual springs maybe our local spring data guru Robb Ross can decipher them for you, he has super spring powers!
Also with your PSD a new V code should raise your front end about 1.5" according to my notes. With aftermarket longer shackles the finished ride height can be tuned to your target height while keeping the more mellow V codes instead of moving up to the heavier W or X codes.
Likewise the rear springs can be modded various ways to meet your towing load needs and targeted ride height.
Thank you Tom, you're too kind!

If you get the part number off the spring there is a good chance I can help you.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys! I will email him and see if he can pull some info off the springs at all. It would be nice to get half of my needed springs to get going on this project.

Rob

Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Well he can't seem to find any numbers off the springs but told me that it was a 2006 F350 with single rear wheels.

Would the VIN number be of any help?

Rob

Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob
Well he can't seem to find any numbers off the springs but told me that it was a 2006 F350 with single rear wheels.

Would the VIN number be of any help?

Rob
Part number is best but I can use a vin. The part number is stamped on the bottom side of the last leaf, near the center bolt.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Hi RobRoss,

The VIN number for the truck is 1FTWW31P06EB80713.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Hi RobRoss,

The VIN number for the truck is 1FTWW31P06EB80713.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
The rear spring is what is referred to as an SRW C code. This is what I put on my Ex, I think it's the best choice (I outlined this in my thread). The rates are ~330/650 lbs/in and transitions around 1800 lbs, max loading is ~2800 lbs. Again, these are sprung weights. With my SRW C codes I was able to reuse the stock block.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Thanks RobRoss for the quick response.

I will see if I can make a deal with him. Can my factory rear Ex springs be added to these to adjust the ride height? I am looking for about a 3" lift overall.
I will find your thread and start researching this. At least if I get these I am halfway there.

Rob

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Thanks RobRoss for the quick response.

I will see if I can make a deal with him. Can my factory rear Ex springs be added to these to adjust the ride height? I am looking for about a 3" lift overall.
I will find your thread and start researching this. At least if I get these I am halfway there.

Rob
You're welcome! Here is my thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ring-swap.html

You can mod the spring if you like. That spring should have the thick spacers so you'd need the bottom two leafs and spacers from the Ex pack. I was warned about modding springs because it is an untested combination and it affects your jounce clearance. Many do it and have success. I ordered F250 blocks but never needed them.

Last edited by RobRoss; 05-05-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts

Rob
yes.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12962144

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
I forgot to mention these springs should also have an overload spring. If you get to look at these springs, to confirm you should see "5C34 CE" on them. Going from the vin doesn't insure the vehicle was actually built this way but as I said earlier, any SD spring is an upgrade.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
The picture shows a top and bottom overload spring. I have attached a photo showing the setup.

Rob

Quick Reply: Rear Leaf Spring Question