1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown out tires

Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 AM
synfinatic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown out tires

Ok, so this has officially got me spooked.

Three times I've had a blown out tire on my '02 F350 crew cab/long bed 4x4 V10 while driving long distances on the freeway. Twice drivers rear, once drivers front.

All 3 times were in warm weather (85-95F). First time (rear) was on the Yokahama's which were on the truck when I bought it and a bit oversized. The date code says they were 10 years old, so I replaced all the tires with OEM sized BFG Rugged Terrains. Then it happened again- front last October. Did about $4K worth of damage. Now my buddy, called me up saying it happened to him (rear) while he was borrowing my truck for a trip.

In the first first two cases, I noticed a wobble. The second time wasn't as bad and stopped when slowed down (75 to 65mph), but it still blew. I specifically mentioned this to my friend to be on the look out and he said it never wobbled, but prior to it blowing the truck started to pull to the left.

In all three cases, the truck wasn't towing anything, but had stuff in the bed. The first two times I was taking my race motorcycle to the track, so probably had about 800lbs worth of gear in the bed & cab. My buddy was probably carrying less weight, but I'm not exactly sure how much. Before my buddy borrowed the truck I set the tires to 70PSI since he was going to drive 400mi down to Barstow and then some light offroading on BLM land.

The alignment was done after October and it has four new shocks. Tires look great, have maybe 15K miles and I rotate them every 5K miles. The only mods to the truck are swapping the 4" F350 rear axle blocks with the 2" F250 to lower the bed.

Ideas?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size tires?

Some of these tires come in the same size with different ratings

So what's the tire rating? P=passenger or E=Heavier loads the F350 needs

What the date code on the replacement tires? I've seen "new" tires that were a few years old before they were ever installed.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM
synfinatic
New User
It's the OEM size: LT265/75R16. E rating.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you rub your hand across the top of the tire do you feel a cupping, like a snagging feeling or are they smooth on all 4. I would quess the front tire was destroyed but could you tell on the rear tires the reason for the blow out? Shifted belts, sidewall damage, tread seperated from the liner? A 10 year old tire blowing out doesn't surprise me, how old and mileage on the 2 rear before they blew. Are the tires wearing normal, no edge wear. hot roads and fast moving trucks weaken the sidewalls and increase pressure. Fill them with nitrogen to keep the pressure stable. I have friends in Arizona who do that for the same reason. Off-roading could damage a tire as well. Check the rims for damage along the bead. Belts shifting or ply separation is a major cause for blowouts, you see them all along the highways, but we cant retread or regroove our tires like the big trucks do, we just pull over and change the flat.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
synfinatic
New User
here's two photos from the blown front:
https://synfin.net/misc/front1.jpg
https://synfin.net/misc/front2.jpg

Looks like the sidewall blew to me.

And here's the photo of the rear that just blew:
https://synfin.net/misc/rear1.jpg

The truck is still with my buddy in Barstow for the weekend, so I'll have to check the tires when he gets back.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on picture 2 of the front. It looks like you hit something (pothole) that took out the chunk of the side tread, and damaged the tire bead. At the same time it damage the internal cords of the tire in the same spot.

On the Rear. Some of that rim damage looks old. If that was the case, that could cause the tire to not seal right and eventually let go.

Looks to me, like you need a couple new rims.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:58 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Did you say that they wobbled, but the wobble stopped when you slowed down to 75mph? How fast are you running and what's the speed rating on the tires?

Edit - never mind. Just reread your post.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...150505155826:s
My observation: Your likely getting close if not over the tires designed tolerance with excessive speed, heat and weight. Excessive heat will cause a de-rating of the the other two specifications. Inflation pressure will play a part as well, under and over inflation. You say your slowing down to 75? What speeds do you normally cruse at on the highway? What pressure do you run in these tires? Where do you live, desert? Those blowouts look overheated by the way the tread is delaminating from the inner. When your driving "normally" in the next few days with the same conditions your experiencing these failures; stop and feel your tires. Ill bet they are hotter then hell, too hot. Just one mans ideas to another trying to keep u safe.

EDIT>Ok amazing how sometimes we all have refrigerator eyes, at least I do. I see 70 psi and 75 down to 65 thing so thats all ok. Something else is going on for sure. What else is in the equation? Age, something with the truck? Are the brakes doing something causing excessive heat?
To the OP do you see, smell or feel anything else out of sorts?
If all else checks out with the truck and the manor which you're using it then Id take the advice of contacting the local BFG rep and start driving it up the ladder. This aint something to mess around with.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
I read somewhere that tires have a shelf life....something like 6 years...meaning a tire produced in 2008 and sits on the shelf for 6 years and sold to us as new today...is already at the end of its service life.....so factor what ever truth there is to that into the weight, heat, load, road conditions equation.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you certain they are E rated tires? BFG's website doesn't show an E rated 265/75/16 anymore. They only show the 265/75/16 being C rated. I did read some reviews about tread separation and certain sizes being discontinued. I would contact BFG with pictures. They have been known to be very helpful to people in the travel trailer/5th wheel community. Here is snip from their website. That is the only LT 265/75/16 they show.

BTW: I read his post as slowing down to 65 from 75mph, no slowing down to 75. Hardly seems like excessive speed.