1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally getting started on my F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally getting started on my F1

Sort of. I'll start a build thread once I actually get the truck in the shop and start actually working on it but figured everyone like pics.

bought the F1 a few months ago but didn't want to start it till my other project was finished. But i did start gathering parts like this Mark viii donor and a lexus IFS

Finally got my car finished for the 2nd time

I've had this donor car in my yard for a month or so and 2 days ago decided to get the drivetrain out. This was my first time pulling a motor from the bottom and it was a little sketchy

100k mile Aluminum 4.6 DOHC with 4r70w for $500

Believe it or not my shop was clean before I started on this. Still thinking about using the IRS 8.8 but its something like a 3.08 ratio and thats way too tall with a 4r70w overdrive so by the time i add gears and install i could have just bought a explorer 8.8 and build a 4 link plus I've been wanting to build a watts link instead of the triangulated 4 link that i've built before. Anything you guys can think of that i should snag off the donor before taking it to the scrapper.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So lets see the F1??

Old 04-30-2015, 02:46 PM
c91x
Senior User
Sadly I don't have many, only the ones I took when I first got it home. I should be ashamed of myself for having teased the poor F1. I brought it to a new home with a big shop and got its hopes up that it would be worked on after 20 years of neglect. Then i parked it on the side of the shop and didn't touch it. I know I'm strange

Here's the pics from the ad

Here's when I got it home and $700 bucks poorer

Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel bad. Mine has been sitting outside my shop for about a year now. Working on the donor cab so there is not much room for it. Nice fairlane by the way. I had a 67 with the 390/C6. Zoom Zoom.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a great engine you are yanking from the Mark VIII! I have a '98 donor for a yet undiscovered project that I need to get the drivetrain out of sometime. I'm surprised you didn't pull it from the top.
The F1 looks like an nice project too. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM
c91x
Senior User
I read you could do it both ways but out the bottom was easier and out the top you have to separate the trans and engine. It was only 6 bolts holding that cradle in

Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Clint,
So what convinced you to pick that engine? Looking at those engine stands
sitting up on top of stacked 2x4 platform - yikes.... I would have let your buddy do the under car bit.

That pic of your beautiful car with the mountains in the back ground could be West Texas - I had no idea Utah
looked like that. Good start on your F1 Project!!! I like the multi paint color look.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Clint,
So what convinced you to pick that engine? Looking at those engine stands
sitting up on top of stacked 2x4 platform - yikes.... I would have let your buddy do the under car bit.

That pic of your beautiful car with the mountains in the back ground could be West Texas - I had no idea Utah
looked like that. Good start on your F1 Project!!! I like the multi paint color look.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Thanks for the compliment on my car. Utah is a pretty place but I'll be moving back to Arizona here in the next year or so.

Why i picked the motor.....
Well I really like the terminator/aluminator 4V motors but the price always scares me off. For all intents and purposes this is the same engine but without forged internals. Second thing is this truck is being built for my wife who's been wanting a truck for a few years now and I'd rather have EFI and overdrive for her than a 3 speed and carb. Third is price, I paid 500 for this car with a bad fuel pump. I got it running so I could here the valve train and all sounded good. So i get 280hp (in its choked up configuration), EFI, 4R70W, power steering, AC, etc.. for cheap

When my nephew was under the car it was on the wheel cribs in the back and on jack stands and a jack as a back up in the front. Now once we got the front high enough to slide the engine out and it was on the jacks stands on top of the cribs i didn't allow either of us to go under it. The wheel cribs are a life saver though if you don't have a lift. I trust them far more than jack stands.

They are glued and screwed and have mitered edges the wheel rest in. You can't get the car to move at all on them

Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, nice Fairlane and a great motor for your F1. What I really like are your wheel cribs.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM
c91x
Senior User
I saw Detroit Speed Inc using them and figured if they use them in a shop like that then why not. I never have trusted jack stands and these have allowed me to do all the underbody stuff that I just couldn't do with jack stands. I would recommend them to anyone

Old 05-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Originally Posted by c91x
I read you could do it both ways but out the bottom was easier and out the top you have to separate the trans and engine. It was only 6 bolts holding that cradle in
That does sound like a nice alternative to reaching in from the top. I am glad to know this before I tackle mine, thanks!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I might add, great cribbing.....we were taught that the configuration you have demonstrated will carry 6000 lbs per column (corner) yielding 24k per crib box. Rule was stack not to exceed 3x the base....I've lifted a Cat D6 with air bags on top of a crib box....while they aren't Snap-On fancy...they work!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They use the same form when they raise a building, making them out of 6 x 6's. Our neighbors just had their 3 car 60 year old garage apt raised 5' higher and they have 6 stacks exactly like the crib to hold it up while the carpenters build the new walls to hold it up permanently.

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
You asked about parts to save from the scrapper- although not of interest for an F1, there are some components on these that are coveted by those that drive them: the headlight elements (factory HID and not available in aftermarket I am told), the rear neon panel from the trunk with the power supply, and other electronic components unique to this model. How much of the harness are you keeping and are you using a wiring diagram for the Mark VIII to work this in your F-1?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:22 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by c91x
Sort of. I'll start a build thread once I actually get the truck in the shop and start actually working on it but figured everyone like pics.

bought the F1 a few months ago but didn't want to start it till my other project was finished. But i did start gathering parts like this Mark viii donor and a lexus IFS

Finally got my car finished for the 2nd time

I've had this donor car in my yard for a month or so and 2 days ago decided to get the drivetrain out. This was my first time pulling a motor from the bottom and it was a little sketchy

100k mile Aluminum 4.6 DOHC with 4r70w for $500

Believe it or not my shop was clean before I started on this. Still thinking about using the IRS 8.8 but its something like a 3.08 ratio and thats way too tall with a 4r70w overdrive so by the time i add gears and install i could have just bought a explorer 8.8 and build a 4 link plus I've been wanting to build a watts link instead of the triangulated 4 link that i've built before. Anything you guys can think of that i should snag off the donor before taking it to the scrapper.
What year is the Mark VIII ? Mine is a 93 and the IRS is a 3.07 ratio. I've seen guys use the IFS also in an F1. If you check my build thread (attach) you will see how I installed the IRS.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lt-thread.html

__________________________________________________ ________
48 Ford F1 - Darkside
46 Ford Tudor - Lightly Toasted

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Quick Reply: Finally getting started on my F1