1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally getting started on my F1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUCH!!!!

how did you manage that?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was cutting a lip off a wheel spacer and had my thumb in one of the lug holes. The cut off wheel caught and spun around. I've been hit a few times with a cut off wheel but never had it do any major cutting. Dumb thing was I was right next to my vise

Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM
c91x
Senior User
But at least I'm not in the Navy anymore. The Military hospital would have given me Motrin and water.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
And a hard time!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's hot must be August

August is here so the trailer queens are passin through on their way to Reno

Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by c91x
But at least I'm not in the Navy anymore. The Military hospital would have given me Motrin and water.

Depending on the severity the doc might have prescribed fresh socks too, no light duty chit tho

Old 08-06-2015, 07:55 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51fred
And a hard time!
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
Depending on the severity the doc might have prescribed fresh socks too, no light duty chit tho
Lol.... Exactly. I raced Motocross for 20 years so I used to get injured quite a bit. Once I broke my collar bone and tore the ligaments in my AC joint so my collar bone was just floating around in my shoulder. Went to the ER at medical and they sent me home with a sprained shoulder (motrin and rest). Another time i broke my left heel and fractured my right ankle. Same thing they sent me home with an ankle sprain and motrin. But at least both those times I got a call sometime the next week when a real doc took a look at the xrays and they fixed me up

Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by c91x
Lol.... Exactly. I raced Motocross for 20 years so I used to get injured quite a bit. Once I broke my collar bone and tore the ligaments in my AC joint so my collar bone was just floating around in my shoulder. Went to the ER at medical and they sent me home with a sprained shoulder (motrin and rest). Another time i broke my left heel and fractured my right ankle. Same thing they sent me home with an ankle sprain and motrin. But at least both those times I got a call sometime the next week when a real doc took a look at the xrays and they fixed me up
Oh, I hear ya. I trashed my back in Corporals Course (USMC). I rode the pain out for a few months til I couldnt walk one morning. I went in and they immediately sent me to physical therapy and gave me muscle relaxers. I had to do the required 3 weeks of PT before I could even get an Xray. The Xray came back ok so I had to push for an MRI... talk about an uphill battle. I finally got an MRI and they found deviation in my spine, degenerative disc disorder and some severely hernaited discs to the point of them giving me the option to finish my enlistment or be medically seperated. The doc basically told me that I'm too young for surgery and that I will just have to live with it until I cant take it anymore then go to the VA for surgery. Great docs hahaha

Hopefully you make a speedy recovery

Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 PM
c91x
Senior User
I'm horrible at taking pics and documenting my builds. I get caught up in the project i'm working on and forget. I got the motor mounted but haven't made the trans mount yet so its just sitting on a jack. I need to order a steering column or go to the junk yard and pick one up so I can get the driver side header fabbed up. I got tired of welding so I started doing some metal work to my rear fenders and its amazing how many dents are in these things that the multiple colors of paint hid till i took a 16" sanding block to em. Lots of hammer and dolly work

On the passenger side of the stock mount had this and I figured id keep it so I cut it out with my bandsaw and reused it. This little oblong hole on one side made it so easy to line up the motor when I installed it

Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice progress- that dammer is going to look menacing when you raise the hood at your local cruise-in!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Looks good so far. What geometry model did you use for the rear tri 4 bar?
Is that the raised driveshaft notch in the crossmember pic or the original? You must be going to run very low in the back that the DS goes that high? Are you going to have to raise the bed floor to clear the centersection?
I've documented the header fit issues we had with the 4.6 3V we are installing in Gary's F1. I'll be watching how you do it with yours. Those engines are REALLY wide! Maybe the OEM manifolds are a different shape on the Mark? The OEM or aftermarket ones for the 07 Mustang GT even if we would have used an IFS the outlet would have been directly in line with the steering column shaft too close to go around it with the engine centered. Since Ford made the port shape and mounting bolt pattern unique on the 3V heads no one offered any any other header or manifolds that would have cleared. Hence we had to move the engine 1" to the passenger side and have the driver's side header custom made.
If you think it's hard to weld around a circle, build a set of headers!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:14 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Looks good so far. What geometry model did you use for the rear tri 4 bar?
Is that the raised driveshaft notch in the crossmember pic or the original? You must be going to run very low in the back that the DS goes that high? Are you going to have to raise the bed floor to clear the centersection?
I've documented the header fit issues we had with the 4.6 3V we are installing in Gary's F1. I'll be watching how you do it with yours. Those engines are REALLY wide! Maybe the OEM manifolds are a different shape on the Mark? The OEM or aftermarket ones for the 07 Mustang GT even if we would have used an IFS the outlet would have been directly in line with the steering column shaft too close to go around it with the engine centered. Since Ford made the port shape and mounting bolt pattern unique on the 3V heads no one offered any any other header or manifolds that would have cleared. Hence we had to move the engine 1" to the passenger side and have the driver's side header custom made.
If you think it's hard to weld around a circle, build a set of headers!
One pic shows the older smaller one and the other pics show it cut deeper.. I'm still gonna add some material to the top to thicken up the center area and I'll Tig that so it looks prrrdy. The problems with the DS relief is that the crossmember doesn't sweep up like the factory one did in that area so it makes it looks like its cut so deep and high that i'm going to be dragging frame and 2. Is when i first cycled the axle I used some 2" tubing as a DS to get a general idea made the x-member, cut the relief and then mocked it up but this time with a really fat aluminum driveshaft and saw that i'd hit at full bump. I think you would have been fine with a front rack mounted IFS and not had any problems. I looked into the Jag unit because it looked so easy to install but the rear mount rack and where the output splines were just wouldn't work with this motor. So it was (front mount) Lexus or MII for me. I should say that I'm making an exh manifold not a full on header (tried it once). I have quite a bit of room for some headers but the stock Mark driver side manifold has a cat welded to the end of it and the exit wraps around where the stock steering shaft comes down. I might modifiy it or I may just order a stock 96-04 cobra manifold or some headers and be done with it

Old 09-11-2015, 08:18 AM
c91x
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder2004
Nice progress- that dammer is going to look menacing when you raise the hood at your local cruise-in!
Thanks... probably be more impressive if it was an old 427 cammer under the hood but for the price I got this at it should be pretty cool

Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 AM
c91x
Senior User
And Ax it was called 4 bar linkage calculator...

heres the stock manifolds

Old 09-11-2015, 06:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Gary wanted dropped beam axle and Toy power steering not IFS. But the OEM 3V manifolds wouldn't work even with an IFS The exit would have pointed directly at the steering column shaft and about 3" away.

Quick Reply: Finally getting started on my F1