6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wolf motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:03 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wolf motor oil?

Stopped at Fleet Supply for oil, they had Wolf brand synthetic 15w40 for $12.71 a gallon. Anybody heard of this or used it?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I haven't seen Wolf oil since the early 90's. The shop I worked for stocked it because of it's price. I thought they might of been bought out because I haven't seen it since then. It was oil and it worked. That's about all I can say.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 AM
mohoneywell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotella T6 FTW.

but of course you can use whatever oil you want.

is it even diesel rated?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mohoneywell
Rotella T6 FTW.

but of course you can use whatever oil you want.

is it even diesel rated?
Guy behind the counter said it was diesel rated. There were other brands there like Mobil 1 and so forth, no Rotella.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Randy: Was it Wolf's Head brand? Here's a site you can check out to see if they've tested an oil you are considering:

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

I See they did test Wolf's Head 15W 40 and it looked like decent stuff...

Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just make sure it's CJ-4 rated.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I used to buy oil labeled as WOLF'S HEAD LUBE back in the 80's when I was broke. Straight weights only and looked dirty coming out of the bottle. It did come in a cool looking black bottle with a cartoon wolf on the label.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How many of you are old enough to remember Union 76 Purple Triton Motor Oil from the mid 60's. That stuff was dirty looking out of the parafin coated card board can.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Randy: Was it Wolf's Head brand? Here's a site you can check out to see if they've tested an oil you are considering:

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

I See they did test Wolf's Head 15W 40 and it looked like decent stuff...
That's the brand. This fleet supply has been pretty good to me, customer service guy knows his stuff, tried to trip him a few times to test his knowledge.

He's revealed some interesting stuff to me like... all the alternators that some parts supply houses carry are of second quality.... even though the part may carry a lifetime warranty from say Autozone. Those parts stores are not allowed to even purchase the first tier quality parts, say someone like Ford gets or some fleet supply houses get. They may refer to them as first run or second run. First run are the top quality, perfect tolerance parts, seconds are just that, not as good but still pretty good overall. Probably the reason some parts places offer the "best" at $300 and "good" at $150.

I've been buying my filters there, a handful of parts from him as he is very competitively priced and now possibly oil.

Thanks for the input and that link!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Using that link Dan posted, Wolf's head brand looks pretty good and a synthetic blend at under $13 a gallon. I really want it in 5W40, but summer is just around the corner, may try this for the summer and then back to 5W40 for the winter. CJ-4 rated, here's the info.
Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remind me of the old Quaker State, Penzoil debates stuff looked like raw crude and nearly was.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Not meaning to come off sarcastic but good lord here we go again.

One question...does the oil have cj-4 on it?

If the answer is yes then buy it, run it, and don't worry about it. This oil thing is a pet peeve of mine because something I want to tell you that is far more important than the label...

HOW YOU CHANGE THE OIL...
This should NOT be determined as an automatic by miles or time only. Rather it should be based on how the machine has been used during that span. Towing a lot up many hills requires a more frequent change of the oil don't you think than the low mileage occasional commuter.

This falls under gas or diesel. If a vehicle is under a high load the oil will break down much faster than the machine that sees light use.

As far as synthetic or non....there is one clear advantage to synthetic. The flow ability at cold temperature. As the ambient temperature is warmer this becomes less of an advantage because the non synthetic starts to pour pretty close to the same.
Think I'm wrong? Put a quart of each in the freezer. Come back in 24 hours open cap and pour. You will see instantly the benefit of synthetic.
Outside of this, possibly the only advantage could be an very minute increase in MPG. I'm not 100 percent sold on that either and in the event it were true the difference would be so minute it might equate to a few dollars over the span of the entire oil change window.

Can some of these companies oil last longer? I suppose. But are these companies testing their oil longevity in your vehicle with your driving style and usage? No.
Change the oil. More frequently if using the machine hard.

Keep it simple and run it.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcursion88

If the answer is yes then buy it, run it, and don't worry about it. This oil thing is a pet peeve of mine because something I want to tell you that is far more important than the label...

This should NOT be determined as an automatic by miles or time only. Rather it should be based on how the machine has been used during that span. Towing a lot up many hills requires a more frequent change of the oil don't you think than the low mileage occasional commuter.

This falls under gas or diesel. If a vehicle is under a high load the oil will break down much faster than the machine that sees light use.

As far as synthetic or non....there is one clear advantage to synthetic. The flow ability at cold temperature. As the ambient temperature is warmer this becomes less of an advantage because the non synthetic starts to pour pretty close to the same.
Think I'm wrong? Put a quart of each in the freezer. Come back in 24 hours open cap and pour. You will see instantly the benefit of synthetic.
Outside of this, possibly the only advantage could be an very minute increase in MPG. I'm not 100 percent sold on that either and in the event it were true the difference would be so minute it might equate to a few dollars over the span of the entire oil change window.

Can some of these companies oil last longer? I suppose. But are these companies testing their oil longevity in your vehicle with your driving style and usage? No.

I'm going to have to call you on this rant

Randy asked a simple question and I think most gave an honest answer; To his question. This is the kind of post that Oil threads are known for: a whole lot of passion, about what your deal on oil and about changing it is?

You need to do a hell of a lot more research because all CJ4s are not all the same. Some people spend their money on nice wheels and tires and a lift kit. I don't subscribe to that, but I also don't get on every thread that someone asks about wheels or lift kits and say they are just stupid for even wanting one.

Randy asked a simple question. Try to keep that in mind... This wasn't an oil war thread.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Xcursion88
Tuned
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm going to have to call you on this rant

Randy asked a simple question and I think most gave an honest answer; To his question. This is the kind of post that Oil threads are known for: a whole lot of passion, about what your deal on oil and about changing it is?

You need to do a hell of a lot more research because all CJ4s are not all the same. Some people spend their money on nice wheels and tires and a lift kit. I don't subscribe to that, but I also don't get on every thread that someone asks about wheels or lift kits and say they are just stupid for even wanting one.

Randy asked a simple question. Try to keep that in mind... This wasn't an oil war thread.
there was/is no war. I offered up a simple...if it had cj-4 buy it..run it opinion. Change accordingly to driving style. I said nothing of any product being better than or less than etc. So I'm not sure if you are the military police looking for a war or just trying stir....
but when I decide to start telling mythical opinions of oil A being better than oil B...I'll let you know. Thanks and keep calm.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:05 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcursion88

Also - true synthetics can usually withstand higher temperatures and they are generally less volatile and generate less ccv vapors. To each his own on whether or not these characteristics are all that important (personally, I see a value in it).

Lastly, CI4 and CI4+ are acceptable ratings - it doesn't have to be CJ4

Good point on changing it more often when used in severe service. Ford recommendation has always been 7.5k mile OCI in normal service and 5k miles in severe service. With so many people experiencing stiction issues, generally a 5k interval seems common even for regular service.

Quick Reply: Wolf motor oil?