Parkers' Prairie Panel Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:32 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gary, never regret what you don't have. Your inventiveness, greasy hands and face are worth a heck of a lot more in my mind than the rich dude who pays someone to do a full restoration.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 586 Likes on 526 Posts
Sounds like you are trying your best to keep piorities straight which is not easy for some folks. A start up video would be a very cool thing. Nothing like that first moment when everything that was laying in different parts of the garage now starts working together and makes power on it's own.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:03 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks so much you guys. I went down and put on the distributer and plug wires and conduits and coil and bracket while my wife went over to her old place to paint some of the parts I have been making for the house. I told her by lunch time , which is in 5 minutes I'd head over to install them. Kinda like working on trucks in the afternoon, since it isn't 'real work' I can have a beer or two while I'm working on her house. If I know her she'll already have a six pack for me in the fridge. (Not the '59 fridge Spur, the tall white box thing in the kitchen)..... Here's an update from this morning.

Attached Images     
Old 05-23-2015, 02:14 PM
geomechs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it's shaping up quite well for you. It looks like you've got a '42 vintage distributor there. Do you plan on using it or the newer type? I see you've got a few in your collection.

I'm looking forward to seeing you get this on the road. Nothing like a full-sized panel.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 586 Likes on 526 Posts
So cool to see so much personality in a vehicle without chrome! That flat head looks close.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Patiently waiting for startup and how good it runs! Nothing sounds better than a fresh flatty. Great progress!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Another day on the house today. My best buddy and his wife called and wanted to help us get the old place up to speed. Everyone should have such a friend. Maybe the first fire late this afternoon when I get back. On the '47 2 ton I did last year I painted up the engine real pretty like, while keeping the exterior pretty much 'as found'. Well this time I'm carrying the 'as found' theme all the way to under the hood. It's hard to know where to stop once one starts painting things. One of my goals is to pay attention to not doing anything permanent that a later restorer would have to undo. The heavy steel floors being a notable exception. I will need a temporary drivers seat after I plumb up a radiator for the ceremonial 'first drive'. Maybe next weekend!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Had a great day in the truck shop today. Engine runs perfectly. Actually can't really drive it yet, but soon, very soon. Had some issues with the distributor, but stole a condenser off a spare dist and she fired right up. The carb I used is one I bought at a swap meet last Saturday for 20 bucks. Didn't touch it. I could tell it hadn't been mounted since some rebuild in bygone years. I had to go down to the shop about 4 times tonight and clip the alligator clip onto the coil resistor and hit the button on the solenoid just to hear that idle. I love those buttons. And flathead V8s. Been a great experience bringing this block from a corner in my attic back to life. Since my wife seems to think we need to name the trucks, I named this one 'Second Hand Rose'. Wish I could paint bomber nose art.....

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
And NO video? Getting selfish are we? Grats on getting the old girl running again.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the start up Gary! I told you it would purr.......

What's next on the panel?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put seats in and drive her!!!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sweet cackle of a flatty is pure therapy for the soul!!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by newold46
And NO video? Getting selfish are we? Grats on getting the old girl running again.

Once again thanks guys. Here's a funny one... Last summer we did about 2 months of work for a couple that have a summer home about a mile from us, but on the water. They both work in Hollywood, he's a cinematographer and she's a director. Well they are back for a while and this morning I met with them about building a dining table and chairs for their place here. Turns out he's coming to the shop tomorrow to select materials and bringing his Hi definition camera and a case full of gear to make my youtube video of the panel. I'm even gonna be wearing some kind of hidden microphone. I'll have to buy some of them sunglasses after this! I did drive the panel today from the shop and parked at the house. There is no water circulation, belts, fan or radiator. The water jackets are full and I run it til I see steam starting to form at the standpipes on the heads. These standpipes are 10" lengths of 1 3/4 hose. The reason it doesn't run out at the water pumps is because I have them connected together by a big loop of old motorcycle inner tube and two hose clamps. I'll point it out in the video. It's sort of strange like a warm, wiggly loop of large intestine swinging down there. Wish me luck tomorrow. Can't possibly be better than the three truck startup videos my son has made for me over the years.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch out! the camera guy is going to want a discount on his table?! Lol you know no good Deed goes un punished.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Well when I got the radiator in it this morning of course it was pissing a few leaks so I held off the film guy til tomorrow or Friday. After I did some real work I had to do for the real business I hung a gallon can on the cowl full of gas and took her for the first real drive since i would imagine 1966 since that's the last plates. I just did two laps through 'the hole' which is the low and level ground where I have my sawmill. It's about a 1/4 mile up and down a couple hills. My wife took some pics. The radiator held with a pinch of alumiseal and the thing ran like a bat outa you know where. Add a dinner my wife served up of fresh salmon, asparagus and sweet potatoes and it doesn't get much better than an evening like this! Oh and ice cream for desert.

Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Parkers' Prairie Panel Progress