1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

50 F1 title problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I don't see what the problem is with getting the new MVD-assigned title? It's legal for one thing. Anyone looking at the truck is going to know it isn't a 2015.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I wouldnt think it is a big deal getting a new state assigned VIN either, it is not like you are dealing with a rare vehicle that needs the original VIN for proof of original history. If it were a yenko nova I would be irate, an old farm truck not so much. I would get the new state assigned number and move on.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
I go to car shows and I see they sell titles with vin plates, I really don't see the problem with that,these vehicles are 60 or70 years old in accidents back then parts were just swaped a way with out much thought. If your concerned by a junker with a good title and use that.
Every states laws are different. If you get caught doing that in Kentucky you can go to jail. South Dakota? I don't know.

Edit: I just saw where Joe already addressed this. What he said.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
kev63rod
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the thing is this truck has never been wrecked as far as i can tell. the only bondo i have found so far is a softball size piece by the pass door by the cowl. the bed is beat up from being a farm truck but not wrecked. at this point i would be willing to label it as a 15 but from what she said there is no way to title it, period. guess i will call back and try to get someone different and ask what you have to do to get an assigned title. call it homebuilt, i couldnt give a rip at this point.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
It may not have ever been wrecked. But in 1960, the truck was 10 years old, and by then most vehicles of the day were all but used up and junk. It's entirely possible the engine was worn out and wasn't worth messing with, and someone hauled it over the scales for scrap. The title was turned into the state as junk, and there you have it. Someone with good intentions tried to save it after the fact and it's been sitting in a field for 55 years. It's probably the nicest parts truck you'll ever find. Good luck with your quest.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
South Dakota Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Reading the SD rules posted on line, I wonder if you could argue the point that a mistake could have been made? Does SD have a dispute process? Seems odd, that if it was to be used on the farm simply not paying the fees would have been done and not going to the extent of a salvage title. There are folks out here in Ca who help car guys (for a fee) register their old iron, maybe someone out your way could help in your case?
Regards, T.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
I would give the guys at Hot Rod Garage in Minot a call. While in ND, they have certainly dealt with this issue from SD considering all the vehicles they have bought/sold through the years.

Dick & Mike's Hot Rod Garage- Streetrods, Hotrods, Classics, and Project Cars

Old 04-29-2015, 07:03 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kev,
Getting these old trucks back on the road will test your patience & drive to get it done. There are a lot of road blocks & financial hurdles. It's not the easiest path to a used truck but it's worth it in the end. If you look hard - you should be able to find a perfectly good frame that's not in the DMV's system as a salvaged vehicle. It's not a huge deal to put that frame under your truck to start your rebuild.

What year frames would work for your truck? At least '48 - '50 but someone will chime in and give us the years.

Good luck over there in South Dakota. Why not give that guy in Lake Park, MN a call & get the Vin #'s from him & run them through the SD DMV & see if they are clear. For $400 you get past this road bump. What were you figuring as a budget to bring your old truck back to life?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Harleymsn you are right about that! But I have actually been to car shows were there are vendors that sell titles, I have seen them with vin plates as well, as far as parts being swapped I'm talking about 60 years ago when accidents occurred and parts were changed out specifically cabs I'm sure the documentation wasn't like what it is today, I certainly don't want anyone getting arrested. Check out hemmings motor news there are people that deal with titles
Well, it IS Illegal to sell a title without the actual vehicle. I know that some people have tried to use the ruse of 'historical documents' but that does not hold water legally, it is still a felony to sell the titles and/or the vin plates, in fact, its a felony to posses vin plates not attached to a vehicle.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM
kev63rod
Freshman User
im hoping to have it on the road for $2000. im talking drive it like it looks but would like to get a jag front end and put a motor that i already have in it. eventually want to fix it up but right now just want to get it rolling and stopping lol. im still convinced if i can get ahold of the right person the title is somehow fixable. i know its going to cost and be a pain in the rear but right now i have $100 into it plus odds parts to make it fire just to check the engine.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 PM
kev63rod
Freshman User
also, i called the state again and asked about buying that frame and putting it under my truck and they no, can only use minor parts. i dont see the big deal here. you can buy blank plate for the firewall because that is just a serial num and the vin is on the frame the way i understand. leave it to the gov to screw stuff up. they want these old vehicles of the road really bad. (cash for "clunkers")

Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
So far as making one legal truck from various truck parts, what the state does not know hurts no one. What does the source list look like for a built vehicle? What controls are there to verify this list? Not that I am suggesting you do anything illegal, sometimes you have to play their stupid games. If SD is like most DMV, don't expect anyone knowing or giving correct and common sense answers.
Only problem I see with it being registered with a new vin and as a modern vehicle is safety and emissions. Just what are the laws in SD? What would the law if an old truck were sold to an out of state buyer? But, I guess you've thought of all this.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Just one more chime in...... If this was Hilary there would be no problem with any of this!!!! Lol!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kev,
We had to get our Vin verified at a service station that does State Inspections. All they did was look at the nice shiny tag in our glove box that matched what was on the Title. Maybe the South Dakota guys will crawl around & look at the frame - but here in Texas they had zero interest.

Good luck over there. $2,000 is ambitious - maybe around $6,000 with minimal paint - It's a good goal though.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-29-2015, 04:25 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go to car shows and I see they sell titles with vin plates, I really don't see the problem with that,these vehicles are 60 or70 years old in accidents back then parts were just swaped a way with out much thought. If your concerned by a junker with a good title and use that.
Very good way to get your truck seized and you paying a heavy fine - States are really cracking down on this type of operation

Quick Reply: 50 F1 title problems