Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost Bad fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rutherk1
You sure are burning a lot of fuel trying to make sure you are saving on fuel . Drive it for a couple months and just see if it gets better. No sense in sweating it. You just got the truck. Enjoy it and revisit it when its more broken in. You have high ethanol gas in it by any chance?

I think ford tests/rates their trucks with 100% petrol where as most pump gas is at least 10% ethanol, which will hurt MPG.
Oh that explains why they charge $90.00 for five gallons of gas at the factory they must be using the good stuff.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM
VegasF150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure are burning a lot of fuel trying to make sure you are saving on fuel . Drive it for a couple months and just see if it gets better. No sense in sweating it. You just got the truck. Enjoy it and revisit it when its more broken in. You have high ethanol gas in it by any chance?

I think ford tests/rates their trucks with 100% petrol where as most pump gas is at least 10% ethanol, which will hurt MPG.
Running 87, dealership told me if I ran a higher octane it would actually get less mpg's. It comes down to getting what you pay for, I honestly don't care if it gets 10 mpg long as I was told that before I bought it so I can make a educated decision and be duped into false claims and over exaggerated ratings.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 AM
rutherk1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasF150
Running 87, dealership told me if I ran a higher octane it would actually get less mpg's. It comes down to getting what you pay for, I honestly don't care if it gets 10 mpg long as I was told that before I bought it so I can make a educated decision and be duped into false claims and over exaggerated ratings.
Ford tests these with 100% petrol. Any gas station you go to will have at least 10% ethanol, which gives you worse MPG. I am willing to bet so many people have mis matched ratings for this reason.

Again, others say to wait until the truck is broken in to make the decision.

I'm sure that motor is capable of 20+ MPG but that's hard to guarantee. I wish they didn't guarantee. Roads, tires inflation, fuel, wind, driving style, oil, elevation all change it.

I wish they would say "18-22 achievable". Not "With 21MPG highway".

Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
Ford tests these with 100% petrol. Any gas station you go to will have at least 10% ethanol, which gives you worse MPG. I am willing to bet so many people have mis matched ratings for this reason.

Again, others say to wait until the truck is broken in to make the decision.

I'm sure that motor is capable of 20+ MPG but that's hard to guarantee. I wish they didn't guarantee. Roads, tires inflation, fuel, wind, driving style, oil, elevation all change it.

I wish they would say "18-22 achievable". Not "With 21MPG highway".
Here's part of my issue also, I can't just drive it and enjoy it I have to drive at a unrealistic driving style with no turbo engagement to get with in atleast a few mpg's of stated. When I drive it to actually enjoy it 10-11 mpg's is what I get. Major bummer. Obviously there's no guarantees on mpg and it is a estimate but common really. I have 3 other vehicles in our household well 4 if you include the work truck, a Mini Cooper countyman turbo, a Range Rover sport supercharged, and a 15' C7 Vette all these cars get as estimated or atleast very close and all get better mpg's than the Eco boost. Heck our 2005 GMC Box truck gets better mpg go figure.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Here's part of my issue also, I can't just drive it and enjoy it I have to drive at a unrealistic driving style with no turbo engagement to get with in atleast a few mpg's of stated. When I drive it to actually enjoy it 10-11 mpg's is what I get. Major bummer. Obviously there's no guarantees on mpg and it is a estimate but common really. I have 3 other vehicles in our household well 4 if you include the work truck, a Mini Cooper countyman turbo, a Range Rover sport supercharged, and a 15' C7 Vette all these cars get as estimated or atleast very close and all get better mpg's than the Eco boost. Heck our 2005 GMC Box truck gets better mpg go figure.
Keep in mind that most of us don't drive the way the mpg testing is done.

The EPA test for city fuel economy is conducted at very low speeds, with gen*-tle acceleration and minimal idling. The highway test includes quite a bit of stop-and-go driving, with a maximum speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 48.

In my case their highway speed is my local driving to the store speed and my highway speed is usually 73mph or more depending on what everyone else is doing. My big test will be my trip to the cottage, I know it's 173 miles away and my last three ford trucks with the 4.6 would burn 11gallons on average to get there. My experance with the 4.6 engines is why I went with the 5.0 on the 2015 as I figured I would be hitting the turbo all the time with the smaller engines.

My dealer just called to say they think they found the problem with the airbag light being on. Seems up in the head liner on the drivers side some wiring is messed up. I might be able to pick the truck later today.

How it got out of the factory and thru dearer prep and was driven 13 miles by them and no one questioned why the light was on I don't know!

While I got all you reading,,, on my touch screen it's really a push very very hard screen how are all yours? Does your finger get sore pushing on it?

Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM
rutherk1
Senior User
Ford may be going down the wrong path for fuel economy.

Like you said most of your other cars get advertised MPG. Heck... My good friends 6.2 STEEL bodied big pig of an Escalade (the longer of the Escalades) will get 18-19 mpg on the freeway.

I don't get what Ford is doing. The EcoDiesel rams are getting 22 combined and high 20s freeway with a big steel body.

My 1 ton 6.2, if they advertised MPG, I would imagine they would say 17-18 MPG (which COULD be possible) realistically its more like 10-12. Which is no better than my 1991 bronco 351W.

Im really surprised they aren't doing cylinder deactivation like GM. 400+ HP 6.2 liter non DI pushrod motor in an SUV can get better MPG than a little V6 in an aluminum bodied pickup truck. Not dissing Ford, just really surprised. This definitely isn't the first thread about this.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:41 PM
rutherk1
Senior User
Originally Posted by rmccbride

While I got all you reading,,, on my touch screen it's really a push very very hard screen how are all yours? Does your finger get sore pushing on it?
Use your knuckle.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
Keep in mind that most of us don't drive the way the mpg testing is done.

The EPA test for city fuel economy is conducted at very low speeds, with gen*-tle acceleration and minimal idling. The highway test includes quite a bit of stop-and-go driving, with a maximum speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 48.

In my case their highway speed is my local driving to the store speed and my highway speed is usually 73mph or more depending on what everyone else is doing. My big test will be my trip to the cottage, I know it's 173 miles away and my last three ford trucks with the 4.6 would burn 11gallons on average to get there. My experance with the 4.6 engines is why I went with the 5.0 on the 2015 as I figured I would be hitting the turbo all the time with the smaller engines.

My dealer just called to say they think they found the problem with the airbag light being on. Seems up in the head liner on the drivers side some wiring is messed up. I might be able to pick the truck later today.

How it got out of the factory and thru dearer prep and was driven 13 miles by them and no one questioned why the light was on I don't know!

My touch screen does require hard pushing and a slight pause at it touch very slow my brain is way to fast for it. I switched to a stylus pen I had laying around and it works much better still a bit slow. As far as quality from the factory well it's lacking for sure. My passenger seat massager was not working nor finished assembling air hoses not connected, and my drivers door came way out of alignment I'll show a picture of it before they realigned it. Again I don't want to come across as just hating on the truck, I love it actually, great styling seems super strong, great Hp and torq but just don't use them turbos or your mpg's will be in the toilet.

Picture is of how it showed up to the dealership, before they fixed it.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
Ford may be going down the wrong path for fuel economy.

Like you said most of your other cars get advertised MPG. Heck... My good friends 6.2 STEEL bodied big pig of an Escalade (the longer of the Escalades) will get 18-19 mpg on the freeway.

I don't get what Ford is doing. The EcoDiesel rams are getting 22 combined and high 20s freeway with a big steel body.

My 1 ton 6.2, if they advertised MPG, I would imagine they would say 17-18 MPG (which COULD be possible) realistically its more like 10-12. Which is no better than my 1991 bronco 351W.

Im really surprised they aren't doing cylinder deactivation like GM. 400+ HP 6.2 liter non DI pushrod motor in an SUV can get better MPG than a little V6 in an aluminum bodied pickup truck. Not dissing Ford, just really surprised. This definitely isn't the first thread about this.

I totally agree my 15' vette gets a average of 22 city and 28 plus on the highway and I can prove it all day long and don't have to drive slower than dirt to make it happen. My father and his friend just ordered the new Dodge Diesel 1500 after seeing what my truck is getting. They couldn't do much better driving my truck to get the mpg's and when I showed them how they needed to drive to get anywhere close to Fords estimates they laughed. You hear that Ford people are laughing at you. But hey atleast it will out pull and out run that Dodge but going to cost more fuel to do it. Face palm🙈

Old 04-30-2015, 02:36 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I totally agree my 15' vette gets a average of 22 city and 28 plus on the highway and I can prove it all day long and don't have to drive slower than dirt to make it happen. My father and his friend just ordered the new Dodge Diesel 1500 after seeing what my truck is getting. They couldn't do much better driving my truck to get the mpg's and when I showed them how they needed to drive to get anywhere close to Fords estimates they laughed. You hear that Ford people are laughing at you. But hey atleast it will out pull and out run that Dodge but going to cost more fuel to do it. Face palm🙈
That depends where you live, diesel costs $.60 more per gallon than 87 octane costs here. So the Ecodiesel may use less fuel but it won't save you much $$ in fuel costs in this area.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
My touch screen does require hard pushing and a slight pause at it touch very slow my brain is way to fast for it. I switched to a stylus pen I had laying around and it works much better still a bit slow. As far as quality from the factory well it's lacking for sure. My passenger seat massager was not working nor finished assembling air hoses not connected, and my drivers door came way out of alignment I'll show a picture of it before they realigned it. Again I don't want to come across as just hating on the truck, I love it actually, great styling seems super strong, great Hp and torq but just don't use them turbos or your mpg's will be in the toilet[/I]
If they missed your door looking like that no wonder my little airbag light didn't get noticed!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:19 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
That depends where you live, diesel costs $.60 more per gallon than 87 octane costs here. So the Ecodiesel may use less fuel but it won't save you much $$ in fuel costs in this area.
I ment will use more fuel not so much actual dollar cost. But yeah diesel fuel prices are a joke to.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:25 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
If they missed your door looking like that no wonder my little airbag light didn't get noticed!
I know right, it's crazy I've never had problems like this and usually have no complaints and nothing to say really. But oh man don't even get me started on the fiasco of even just getting the greenslip from the dealer they couldn't even get that right. But hey they were super nice not any help but super nice. LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 PM
mark waller
Mountain Pass
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I would love to hear what others with a 2015 are getting in fuel mileage. I'm looking at a Lariat 4x4 and was going to the 3.5 engine because I tow but wonder how accurate the 5.0 engine mileage is.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG reporting has always been questionable because you really don't know how the others drive. But now that we have turbos the variability is much wider than heretofore.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost Bad fuel mileage