1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What would McGuyver do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
What would McGuyver do?

I just did the kingpins on my one ton panel truck without any of the special tools usually associated with the job. There is no machine shop on the island so like with a lot of my repairs I had to get creative. This was on a '47, but the same as most of your trucks. To remove the old pins I welded a 1/2" bolt on top of the stuck kingpin and placed a socket for a spacer over this bolt. They wouldn't budge so I applied heat and the usual pb blaster and had a beer while it cooled. Then another quick heat and put tension on the bolt. Pounding from underneath with a 3 lb hammer onto a 5/8 short bolt held with vice grips, I was able to get a bit of rotation on my socket wench. I went back and forth between the hammer and the wrench, each couple of beatings yielding about 1/4 tun on the wench. Finally my employee stopped by to get some tools and he held tension on the socket wrench while I pounded. This resulted in a fairly steady draw and produced quick results. Next I pressed the old bushings from the spindle with a socket and my vice and pressed in the new ones with the same method. Now to ream the pins to fit the new bushings I took a 3/4" hardwood dowel and slotted it down the center with my bandsaw and tore 2 strips about 3/4" wide from a 120 grit sanding belt. I folded these into a long 'L' shape and put them in the saw kerf on the dowel and secured with a split piece of poly pipe and a hose clamp. Turning this with my cordless drill, I was able to hone the bushings in a very controlled manner, with really nice alignment. The results were excellent and when completed and oiled they would slowly slide into the bushings under their own weight. They are now back on the truck with a tie rod I borrowed from my 1/2 ton which I plan to restore in the future. Hope this helps somebody. It was actually kinda fun.

Attached Images      
Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Excellent!!!

Thanks for posting the process and the pics.
Its amazing what you can get done when you put your mind to it.

Thanks
Bobby

Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Bravo!! Excellent work with what you have available.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:57 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I always smile when I see your solutions to problems. No whining, just using your brain and getting it done. Some might question the method, but the results speak for themselves.
On to the next challenge!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Looks like I said I reamed the pins to fit the bushings. Obviously it was the other way around. Reminds me of that old bumper sticker 'dyslectics untie!' While I'm showing off my hillside machine works, this is how I surface heads and manifolds. I love the look on peoples faces when I say I surfaced my cylinder head on my table saw.....

Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey GB,
Looking good over there!!! Ingenious! Have you seen a recent pic. of McGyver lately? Hmmmm......

Is That You, 'MacGyver'? See What Richard Dean Anderson Looks Like Now | ExtraTV.com

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Right On' Right On'' Right On!!! Now that's ingenuity in action, nice job.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most ingenious. I've used my tablesaw a few times like that. I like the 4" sticky sheets though. Either way you still get the grit where you need it.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Great solution.
Funny thing, before I popped over here, I was watching Stargate best of Richard Dean Anderson clips...good stuff.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey GB,
Looking good over there!!! Ingenious! Have you seen a recent pic. of McGyver lately? Hmmmm......

Is That You, 'MacGyver'? See What Richard Dean Anderson Looks Like Now | ExtraTV.com

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Matter of fact I posted that same pic on the fordbarn today. I have been dabbling a bit on there as I'm rebuilding a 59ab, mostly on my kitchen table and they have a couple of guys who have devoted their lives to rebuilding the flathead v8. I referenced the thread to me living on an island so titled it 'How would Gilligan and the Skipper do king pins?' It pretty much got all bogged down in Gilligan's Island banter so I lamented I shoud have used 'McGuyver instead. It is pretty funny though. Especially one guys post of how Gilligan looks today. Of course it includes the age old Ginger vs MaryAnne debate......I thought it was rare to see so much sillyness on fb, as I normally think of them more like Detective Joe Friday. That's an age test btw.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey GB
I always liked Officer Bill Gannon - always wondered what he had in that lunchbox of his.... Ginger was a realtor in L.A.
still looking pretty good - but it's been a few years...... I hope I pass the age test..

I like keeping track of your truck fleet - What's your latest update? That Powerwagon was sure cool...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-26-2015, 11:30 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
This tonner panel has been a huge draw on my time since I got it in February. I can't leave it it alone but it needs EVERYTHING. It was used really, really hard. I'm thinking maybe in a mining operation. Dynamite wagon??? 3 of the leaf springs have multiple breaks, Engine stuck bad, steering was locked up until yesterday, all tie rod ends falling apart, running boards almost disentegrated, seats (rare original pair) are just springs. The rear axle assembly was in 2 rough pieces and unusable, clutch was in pieces in the bell housing. Hood caved in, no doors shut right. Well maybe the pass door, but it's locked shut. All other latches are non functioning. One piece at a time It's coming together. The trip to Tinman's place was very beneficial in parts (and time away from work, work, work) Tomorrow my 2' length of 3/4" teflon rod should arrive and then I can make the buttons that will replace the circlips im my 59 ab's pistons. I will get some pics of that operation tomorrow. Oh and yes, Gannon. Yes, you pass the test.

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
He goes back much further than that. I remember Col. Potter, (Harry Morgan), in the same role in "Pete & Gladys" and "December Bride". Half the shows took place in the kitchen, talking over a Dutch Door.
Loving that 1 ton. Nice tow hitch.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That panel looks beautiful, as it is!
Excellent job getting your repairs done with what you have available.
Nothing wrong with your table saw surfacer, either. I do the same thing using my granite surface plate and the same adhesive backed discs that you use.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Matter of fact I posted that same pic on the fordbarn today. I have been dabbling a bit on there as I'm rebuilding a 59ab, mostly on my kitchen table and they have a couple of guys who have devoted their lives to rebuilding the flathead v8. I referenced the thread to me living on an island so titled it 'How would Gilligan and the Skipper do king pins?' It pretty much got all bogged down in Gilligan's Island banter so I lamented I shoud have used 'McGuyver instead. It is pretty funny though. Especially one guys post of how Gilligan looks today. Of course it includes the age old Ginger vs MaryAnne debate......I thought it was rare to see so much sillyness on fb, as I normally think of them more like Detective Joe Friday. That's an age test btw.
Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts!

Quick Reply: What would McGuyver do?