1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Break in" period

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Joe Choi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Break in" period

Hello all. Just picked up my new baby 2015 F250 XLT FX4 supercab. 40/20/40 seats,nowplow prep rear sliding, lift step, spray in bedliner, xlt value package are the only options chosenAfter reading a few posts I decided to drop tire PSI to 60 front 65 rear. Ride still kinda bouncing and skipping. Seriously a "stiff ride"

I am planning on doing a chssis lube, seam seal, and fluid film job on monday when my shop is open. I just hope their lift can handle the truck. I noticed today how hight the frame is. I wonder if they can even get it up.
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how long of a period of time before the truck settles in and ride will get a little better.
Any other new truck advice would be appreciated. But so far I love this truck! Always been a ford nut from '95 Bronco, to getting a '66 fastback, and now my newborn.
Hope to get to know a lot of you as many of you guys seem to know a lot.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Choi
Hello all. Just picked up my new baby 2015 F250 XLT FX4 supercab. 40/20/40 seats,nowplow prep rear sliding, lift step, spray in bedliner, xlt value package are the only options chosenAfter reading a few posts I decided to drop tire PSI to 60 front 65 rear. Ride still kinda bouncing and skipping. Seriously a "stiff ride"

I am planning on doing a chssis lube, seam seal, and fluid film job on monday when my shop is open. I just hope their lift can handle the truck. I noticed today how hight the frame is. I wonder if they can even get it up.
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how long of a period of time before the truck settles in and ride will get a little better.
Any other new truck advice would be appreciated. But so far I love this truck! Always been a ford nut from '95 Bronco, to getting a '66 fastback, and now my newborn.
Hope to get to know a lot of you as many of you guys seem to know a lot.

Welcome aboard! Nice truck, I had the 6.2 and loved it. I can't recall any vehicle Iv'e owned settling in height. Given your location, the fluid film is probably a wise idea for the winter, and as far as the chassis lube goes you may be out of luck because nothing has zerks for greasing. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
That's what I like about the trucks - a nice solid ride. Makes me feel like it can handle just about anything. You'll get used to it. I run my tires at 72 all year long.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
Welcome aboard! Nice truck, I had the 6.2 and loved it. I can't recall any vehicle Iv'e owned settling in height. Given your location, the fluid film is probably a wise idea for the winter, and as far as the chassis lube goes you may be out of luck because nothing has zerks for greasing. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.
My 2011 F350 has two OEM zerks on the front wheel knuckles. My 2006 F350 has the same OEM zerks plus a third one on the bottom of the front passenger wheel spindle. The Ford dealer always said there weren't any. Once when I took the 2006 to an oil change place, they told me that they greased the three zerks, so I had them show me where they were.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by seville009
My 2011 F350 has two OEM zerks on the front wheel knuckles. My 2006 F350 has the same OEM zerks plus a third one on the bottom of the front passenger wheel spindle. The Ford dealer always said there weren't any. Once when I took the 2006 to an oil change place, they told me that they greased the three zerks, so I had them show me where they were.
only zerks on my '13 are on the u-joints at each hub. I never noticed any change in ride as the truck got a few miles on it. Best you can do is keep the tire PSI as low as you can without setting off the TPMS light and maybe try some different shocks.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:36 AM
Joe Choi
New User
Thanks guys. I will probably get used to the bouncy ride. I don't mind thd truck feel but NYC is pot hole heaven. I will try to get under and look for lube points to see if there are any.
I'm gonna try to decrease tire pressure and see what the min limit is before setting off the tpms. Was going to try and add a few bags of sand in bed area.
Hopefully the shocks and spring break in enough for less of an amusement ride feel. My kids love it though.
Picked up the truck with 8 miles on it and it's now 156. Wonder how much the decrease in value is.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
congrats! Be sure to read the diesel supplement and visit the engine forum for the 6.7 for concerns.

Walmart carries any type of oil you want to run as well as the oil filter.

dieselfiltersonline is where I go for fuel filters. Order a couple and carry a spare set if you travel.

Good fuel source Is important. Water in the fuel is the enemy.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Joe Choi
New User
I'm sorry i didn't post that its a 6.2 gasser....i just couldn't justify a reason spending a few thousand more for the diesel.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry i didn't post that its a 6.2 gasser....i just couldn't justify a reason spending a few thousand more for the diesel.
Nobodys mad at you here If you want to you can go to your user settings and create a signature to include you truck specs. This will help everyone answer your questions easier. The 6.2 is an amazing engine and I'm sure you will love it.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 AM
rjcorazza
Senior User
I am able to run 58 psi without setting off the tpms, which perhaps smoothes out the ride a very small amount. Unloaded, your truck is going to always give a stiff ride.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:47 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
No badges on the doors no diesel no problem

Mines a 4x2 and DRW but it did ride hard when I first picked it up, I started pulling our trailer with 370 miles on it and even with 3300 lbs on the pin the ride was not all that great but after about 1500 miles I beat the new out of it and it smoothed out, not as good as my 2000 DRW was but I beat the new out of it for 13 years

Denny

Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Nice truck! Welcome and congrats.
I use tranny fluid mixed 50-50 with wd-40 for rust prevention. I treated my truck with it as soon as I bought it. A side benefit was that as soon as I did it the ride settled down measurably. I spray everything especially anything that is showing any sign on surface rust. I think getting into the bushings at the pivot points on the front end and leafs in the rear is what settled the ride. Still firm, but not sharp and jarring over bumps. If not treating the truck like I do, I would hit all those points with some white lithium grease aerosol that will get in there and you may be surprised how well it can ride.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:06 AM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
The ride won't improve, it will continue to pound you to death. It is stunning how awful the Super Duty trucks ride. It is like there is no suspension at all. The only thing that will make it slightly less painful is to put 3000 pounds in the bed as far forward as you can get it. Towing lots of weight makes things no better.

I have 66,000 miles on a 2013 F250 SD 4x4, new late June 2013. 3/4 of the miles are with a load or towing at least 5000 pounds, up to 10,000 pounds.

Drive a Chevy 2500HD 4WD, you'll be stunned at the smooth ride & vastly superior handling compared to the SD.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
You comprise. You want a good ride empty and no ability for the heavy loads or do you want it to handle those heavy loads well? It is built with the heaviest of loads in mind. That I much prefer.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
"Break in" period

Originally Posted by senix
You comprise. You want a good ride empty and no ability for the heavy loads or do you want it to handle those heavy loads well? It is built with the heaviest of loads in mind. That I much prefer.
2X
This is how I look at it, I buy my trucks for the job I want it to do. If I didn't pull a heavy trailer I would have a F150 not a F350 DRW, the empty ride doesn't figure into my choice.

Denny

Quick Reply: "Break in" period