Taller valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Akhnot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taller valve cover

Hi folks,

I have a quick question. I recently installed a reman engine in my 81 f-150. The head on the new engine is a bit different than my core was, and has a taller valve train...which is causing clearance issues where the PCV baffle on the valve cover is. It's already been hammered down to where the PCV is barely staying in, so I'd like to try to find a taller valve cover.

I know I can just go get a Clifford aluminum one, but they sure are proud of that sucker! I'll call that a last resort.

Does anyone know what year 4.9/300 had the tallest valve cover? I can watch the jy's for one and get it. The last trip netted me nothing, they were all short.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Usually the problem is solved by cutting two valve covers (like a hot dog bun) and welding them back together in one taller one.

Another possibility is to locate a VERY RARE 3 x 6 prototype tall valve cover - never made it to production. I'll post pics.

Anglia has stock mid '60s thru mid-'80s valve cover.

White RPU has RARE 3 x 6 valve cover.

Blue unrestored altered has cut-and-spliced valve cover.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:21 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about the EFI valve covers? Are they any taller than the older 4.9L's?

My EFI Valve Cover

Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Akhnot
New User
The ends look taller for sure, but the center section looks shorter? When the rain quits I'll go measure for comparison.

I wish the trans-dapt and spectre chrome ones would put more than "stock height" in the details... Stock height for which year???

Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Heya ZarK-eh,
That's the same valve cover I have on my carb'd head. Granted, my carb'd head has pedestal rockers, which they made a different valve cover for (not necessarily just EFI). I don't think it's any taller though.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
RedOct85I6
New User
Originally Posted by ZarK-eh
What about the EFI valve covers? Are they any taller than the older 4.9L's?

My EFI Valve Cover
That's a clean lookin valve cover sir. Overall engine paint job looks great. Did you also paint the efi manifolds? If so what type of paint?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Akhnot
New User
I think that EFI valve cover would work, now that I rethink the issue. It wasn't that the valve cover itself was touching, it was the baffle for the PCV. The EFI looks like it's taller in both the filler and PCV locations.

To the junkyard I go!

Thanks Zark, I'll update the differences for posterity when I get done with that measurement.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as height, i don't believe there is any difference. the internal baffle of the cover is located different on the later model valve covers though. it had to be reconfigured for the pedestal mount rockers as they take up a little more real estate under there. what kind of rocker arms are in the cylinder head? reman'd engines could have either or type of cylinder head that facilitates different rockers on them. you could make the other work by just trimming some of the sheet metal down from the baffle itself. it'd save you a few bucks and a trip to the j/y.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedOct85I6
That's a clean lookin valve cover sir. Overall engine paint job looks great. Did you also paint the efi manifolds? If so what type of paint?
I didn't paint the EFI manifolds, nice ol' rust. I may take them off and electrolysis them and high heat paint them, but not this year.

Originally Posted by Akhnot
I think that EFI valve cover would work, now that I rethink the issue. It wasn't that the valve cover itself was touching, it was the baffle for the PCV. The EFI looks like it's taller in both the filler and PCV locations.

To the junkyard I go!

Thanks Zark, I'll update the differences for posterity when I get done with that measurement.
If the Cylinder head was OEM then it makes sense that OEM would have designed a valve cover to fit

Old 05-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Akhnot
New User
Well Zark, that was a great idea. I went to the JY, got a nice EFI manifold, cleaned it all up, and then took some measurements to compare the old with the new(er).
The "Powered by Ford" 1981 VC has 2 3/8" clearance to the shortest internal spot between cylinders 5 - 6.

The EFI valve cover has 2 5/8"+.

and the finished job.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:04 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Wow! that looks NICE!

Glad I could be of help.

My Son picked the red, and I picked the New Ford Grey on my engine. Originally I was going to go with Black, cos... Black. But the Son complained "You make everything Black!" and I gave him the choice of colour and he picked Red.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Akhnot
New User
Thanks =)

I had a weird squealing noise show up after installing this...very weird noise! Lemme tell ya, I thought something got in the engine and was wreaking havoc. I opened the oil filler to see if I could narrow it down, and it sounded like a huge gasp for air and the noise was gone.

Turns out that because the engine is so new and has zero blow-by and apparently great ring seal, the PCV was doing a really good job creating a vacuum. The old VC had a breather style oil filler cap. This one does not.

Now I need to find a decent breather to go into the vent hole behind the filler neck in the new VC.

Whew, time for a beer.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
FWIW, I've seen guys use three v.cover gaskets stacked atop one another so they could use the oem v.cover with roller rockers.