Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Anybody thinkk these IDI motors good investment long term ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Buy as many as you can. People who will want them will have no money. You will be totally set if you like to barter for hides and other scrap. That's what's going to happen you know. We are headed for arm and geddon. Some of those folks will trade you bullets for the engines. Not cartridges, just the bullets. So better arm up too. Surround yourself with IDI engine blocks and .50 caliber rifles. You will be set.

Seriously, ever ^&*(ing thread you start is the same "things are going to poop" nonsense. Do you have anything constructive going on in your life? Did you have a career, make any money, or were you a "down by the river in a van" kind of guy?

This isn't the middle ages, it isn't 1939, hell it's not even 1962. Find something positive to do rather than plan for failure and try to convince everyone else that the sky is falling. IDI as an "investment". Balderdash!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Buy as many as you can. People who will want them will have no money. You will be totally set if you like to barter for hides and other scrap. That's what's going to happen you know. We are headed for arm and geddon. Some of those folks will trade you bullets for the engines. Not cartridges, just the bullets. So better arm up too. Surround yourself with IDI engine blocks and .50 caliber rifles. You will be set.

Seriously, ever ^&*(ing thread you start is the same "things are going to poop" nonsense. Do you have anything constructive going on in your life? Did you have a career, make any money, or were you a "down by the river in a van" kind of guy?

This isn't the middle ages, it isn't 1939, hell it's not even 1962. Find something positive to do rather than plan for failure and try to convince everyone else that the sky is falling. IDI as an "investment". Balderdash!

You are right it isn't the middle ages it's more like the cretaceous period 65 million years ago.

And by the way all the money is paid back to the central planners plus interest if you want to keep your credit rating in tact.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
When they did Cash for Clunkers in 2008 n 2009 what did they do with the old vehicles they took in ? they destroyed the motors so they could not be used ever again.

Then you replace them with vehicles that are reliant on cheap Chinese made parts so when they destroy the Petro $ and China cuts us off and the vehicles need those parts Americans are walking and need Daddy Gov's mass transit system to get around. Could the money changers be this devious ? Welcome to Communism!

I believe they are.

Put down the crack pipe, Tinfoil Tony....

Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I was told they destroyed all the engines so they would not run ever again in the cash for clunkers, I know the old engines that were carbureted will be highly sought after and in demand if they are not already. I figure the old mechanical diesels as well.

One thing is for sure the newer engines are highly dependent on electrical parts manufactured in China and China is a authoritarian dictatorship trying to mask itself as a champion of human rights for worldly appearance.

You know who was smoking crack big time ? the guy's who put this country together and thought if given a chance the masses could govern themselves as a collective.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM
ddeflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but electrical parts are manufactured in alot more places than China. Even if all electrical component production were to be cut off it wouldn't affect vehicles on the road today. The rate of failure for engine electrical components is pretty astonishingly low today. Yes, GM has, in the past, had a pretty abysmal track record (and I am skeptical of them now too) but the other manufacturers haven't had as much trouble. If you are going to talk about what to worry about in a dooms day scenario, it isn't the fuel injection system or ECUs or what not, its stuff like bearings and half shafts, brake disks, etc. You know, the things that are commonly serviced by a mechanic (and not made here anymore).

The cash for clunkers program destroyed the engines on vehicles to make sure they weren't shipped to other countries (thereby eliminating the social good of the program). Most of the vehicles that were destroyed were not carbureted by the way; the average age of traded in cars was something like 14 years old, ie. 1995. The oldest cars that could be traded in were 1984 (25 years max age) so even at the far end you would still not have all that many carbureted engines. There are alot of things to hate about "cash for clunkers", the destruction of the traded in vehicles is low on my list.

As far as masses ruling, I think the other option is authoritarian dictatorship. I'll take the masses over that.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddeflyer
I also am in the minority on the owners of these vehicles in that I bought mine as a fixer up project (wanted a bullnose diesel for style and nostalgia reasons). For what I've put into the truck so far I could have bought a very nice 6.4L diesel (yeah, early one with a good number of miles, but still). If I had done that though, I would have the same truck as everyone else and what fun would that be? It has also been alot of fun trying to build this truck back into really good shape and making it my own. I don't expect that there are alot of people like me yet, but the bullnoses have a unique style that the later years just don't have.
I can second the notion on them bullnose truck that's hands down my favorite body style, I really love the dash's they came with!!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ddeflyer
Hate to burst your bubble, but electrical parts are manufactured in alot more places than China. Even if all electrical component production were to be cut off it wouldn't affect vehicles on the road today. The rate of failure for engine electrical components is pretty astonishingly low today. Yes, GM has, in the past, had a pretty abysmal track record (and I am skeptical of them now too) but the other manufacturers haven't had as much trouble. If you are going to talk about what to worry about in a dooms day scenario, it isn't the fuel injection system or ECUs or what not, its stuff like bearings and half shafts, brake disks, etc. You know, the things that are commonly serviced by a mechanic (and not made here anymore).

The cash for clunkers program destroyed the engines on vehicles to make sure they weren't shipped to other countries (thereby eliminating the social good of the program). Most of the vehicles that were destroyed were not carbureted by the way; the average age of traded in cars was something like 14 years old, ie. 1995. The oldest cars that could be traded in were 1984 (25 years max age) so even at the far end you would still not have all that many carbureted engines. There are alot of things to hate about "cash for clunkers", the destruction of the traded in vehicles is low on my list.

As far as masses ruling, I think the other option is authoritarian dictatorship. I'll take the masses over that.

Thanks for the education, well America hardly makes anything any longer and the masses let them come in and set their dictatorship up here in the USA.

Allow me to issue the currency and I care who not makes the laws!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Allow me to issue the currency and I care who not makes the laws!
Bingo! Who was that? Morgan? Rothschild? One of the Pentamvirate:
, perhaps. Whoever it was, was dead-on. Sadly more true today than it was when it was uttered.

But back on topic, to your "investment" question, I wouldn't count on any vehicle or any type of engine going up in value. Depends on your definition of "investment". The IDI is still a wise "investment" as a zombie-apocalypse-proof SHTF vehicle. So, resale value, hard to say. Utility value, no doubt.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
It just seems like to me all the new vehicles are way over priced and definitely to complex to be keepers for a weekend tinkerer.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
You have been listening to the lie about US industrial output, or maybe you're the one making it up and telling it over and over.

"....................America hardly makes anything any longer......."

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_sector_composition
You should hire a minder.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
It just seems like to me all the new vehicles are way over priced and definitely to complex to be keepers for a tinkerer.

Finally something I agree with. You can't "tinker", you need to have the proper diagnostic tools and some skills. And they are overpriced. On the other hand, most go well past 200k without much work, and most do a marvelous job of protecting you in a crash, power is back, and mpgs are impressive in many.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

It just seems like to me all the new vehicles are way over priced and definitely to complex to be keepers for a weekend tinkerer.

Sounds like that "weekend tinkerer" is just too much of a simpleton to understand anything then

Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ Such a "simpleton" understands that, with the newest vehicles on the market having almost EVERY system under computer control, DIY modifications can run you afoul of intellectual property copyright law.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Such a "simpleton" understands that, with the newest vehicles on the market having almost EVERY system under computer control, DIY modifications can run you afoul of intellectual property copyright law.
Riiight, please show me a case where somebody was prosecuted for that.

Quick Reply: Anybody thinkk these IDI motors good investment long term ?