1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Windshield wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why won't you say which is best?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:00 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
why won't you say which is best?
The fact that JWA earns his keep installing glass and says he uses PGW as well as suggesting people ask Safelite to put in PGW is pretty clear to me. I will concur that I've read a LOT of negative stuff about Safelite on the Internet. Cheap glass, expensive advertising...

I had a broken windshield in one of my cars a few years back and JWA said to seek PGW or Pilkington glass. (PGW is presumably Pittsburgh Glass Works, an offshoot of PPG which was Pittsburgh Plate Glass.) I got a PGW windshield and it has gone longer than the OEM windshield although I've had one chip glued (for all of $20)...the repair is holding back any more cracking and the windshield has taken a LOT of hits in its life with our crumbiing Michigan roads.

Since JWA does not now mention Pilkington, it's possible that they are now importing lower quality stuff. I've had a Pilkington in my BMW since I bought the car in 1994 and no cracks in that...

To the OP: have you put a straightedge on the suspected area of the windshield to see if it is truly a concave area you are dealing with? If it is not concave, are you using inexpensive wiper blades? Cheep blades often use stiff rubber edges and plastic spines (instead of stainless) which lack the flexibility to flex with the glass. And if your arms have 15 year old springs, they could lack the pressure you need. I have bent arms to give a little more push but if the springs are gone, maybe try some new arms too...

Good luck,
George

Old 05-06-2015, 05:41 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How hard is it to say this one is best?
He said PGW was so-so. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:04 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
JWA is a really helpful guy and generous with his knowledge. I'm taking what he said exactly as you say above. I can't speak for JWA but it is possible that the auto glass biz is in a "race to the bottom" where the market is moving to China and forcing American mfrs to cut quality to desperately try to compete.

But then I usually try hard to read between lines. And then I go on tangents.

Take care, and good luck to the OP with his wipers.

You GOTTA see what's in front of you.

George

Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I wish my windshield would crack

Here in the great state of Florida, the law requires insurance companies to replace damaged windshields at no charge to the vehicle owner. While I don't like that kind of nanny state regulation, it is a nice benefit to me.

My windshield emblem indicates a brand called SGC… I have an unusual wind noise from the top passenger side, and a visible flat spot also. I don't have any issues with the wiper blades though.

I have one spider crack about the size of a dime down low in the center… I've been praying for that one the spread for two years now.

I hope JWA tells us what the best brand is, because I'll buy that. Even if it costs extra.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Its hard to say because "your mileage may vary......" or words to that effect.

YoGeorge touches upon this topic simply because once upon a time "premium brands" such as PPG, LOF, Guardian, Carlite, Sekurit, Pilkington to name but a few were indeed worthy of that designation. Those companies have undergone changes whereby quality of products meets minimum DOT requirements which as mentioned earlier does not apply to longevity or ruggedness.

IF I state "Brand Z is best.........." and a rare or single instance is shared then that recommendation is viewed as suspect or that I benefit in some way for such a suggestion. A great example is I'm currently experiencing concerned long-term frequent-use customers over one windshield---seemingly a severe lack of ability to withstand somewhat small rock impacts that result in edge-to-edge cracks.

Because these are over-the-road trucks and highly susceptible to inspections broken windshield is subject to fines or if severe enough "grounding" the truck until its fixed, disabling the truck and its load until its once again road worthy. Delays in loads due mechanical issues known before departure carries financial downsides in excess of the citation costs and repair charges.

In this instance my brand recommendation is understandably being questioned albeit only as a minor curiosity however it alerts me there may be a problem with that brand or simply that particular windshield.

Because overall quality has greatly diminished there is no such thing as "the best" any longer----for this reason I simply won't say one brand is superior to another in the general since. What I will say is the brand known as Safelite or Service Auto Glass tend to be the lower quality which from an installers POV is how any one piece fits into the opening for which its intended. This would include its optical properties, the prime one being distortions causing visibility issues or comfort or in the case of this OP how the wipers move across it.

The only real recommendation I'll make is AVOID Safelite, SAG, SGC or Service Auto Glass---all currently or previously sold by Safelite Auto Glass. (FWIW most Safelite employee/installers tend to hate that brand as well, often times selecting another brand from their large inventory---a quite revealing fact I think.)

If looking for a qualified installer in your local areas and greatly depending on your end goals you'll simply have to call around and discuss what warranties or guarantees accompany their glass replacement. DelGriffith's needs would vary considerably from YoGeorge's for example however the common concern would be quality parts AND service after the sale.

It's nearly impossible for me to advise someone who to use in areas outside my own area. I can't and won't say who's good or not if I don't know their work first hand.

Sorry if that's not helpful or definitive enough but its all I'll offer.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe a dumb question: but what about Ford? Would you rate them closer to the Naughty or Nice list?

I'll go ahead and say it regarding my industry: good fire extinguishers are Amerex, Ansul Pyrochem, Buckeye and Badger ( most models ). Don't buy any other brand under any circumstance.