I don't have pictiures of the whole process, I am poor with taking pictures and I never had a camera that took pictures that would transfer over until after I was done with these, so here is what I have.
I am a retired sheet metal worker so I have access to a power brake.
I made these out of 16 ga cold rolled steel. I had replaced the firewall on my panel and put a volare front clip which necessitated new inner fenders.
4 ft pc of j bar I fabbed to make the fire wall brackets to mount the inner fenders
Inside the wheel well where the inner fender mounts to the firewall. Formed the j bar to my desired shape, used weld nuts to secure the inner fender to the brackets and plug welded the bracket to the firewall
Inside the engine compartment showing the connection to the firewall. All holes are elongated to give me some adjustment forward and back.
I am seriously considering powdercoating these if I can get close to my color.
The two bottles are my master cylinder remote reservoirs.
The bends were patterned after the original bends with some mods to acommodate the volare clip and flat firewall. The top 90 degree brake line was the first layout line, I call it the baseline, everything works off a baseline and a 90 degree line. From the baseline all other actual length lines are worked from there. The end point was determined by plumbing up from the wheel side of the frame straight up to the firewall and air deflector. With those points established I was able to layout the contour of the frame and upper a-arm cut out. This was all done on a pc of 1/8 hard cardboard they use on pallets that go between cans and made a pattern, this way I was able to trim and fit.
I will go out later and try and get a picture of the whole view, my camera skills are not that good tho.
One other point. I established the brake lines on the air deflector and firewall first. Than I fabbed the mounting brackets, installed them,, than layed out the bend lines using the tools I acquired durring my career. I used a plasma cutter, 4" grinder with cutting wheels, left and right wiss snips, die grinders and polishing wheels to de burr the edges.
Those look fantastic!! I also have the Volare clip, so I modified my original inner fenders. Yours look much neater. I'm sure you could do a brisk side business building those for us who have limited sheet metal skills (or tools). I am now building a 1954 Victoria to go with my 1954 F-100. You have inspired me to attempt to build my own inner fenders since after market is practically non-existent for this car. Thanks, Steve
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.