3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

diesel f-150?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smlford
Let's not forget that we are talking about an option...possibly to go along with the Ecoboost engines.
Why not have a choice...it doesn't mean you have to buy one if you don't want it.

Currently as we know the Ram is offered with a 3.0 L Ecodiesel which has been getting mileage in the high twenties.
As I understand it Nissan (?) will be coming out with a "Heavy Half Ton" with the much anticipated 5.0 L Cummins which should be getting into the low to mid twenties.
Chebby will be offering a small diesel in their Canyon model for 2016 which should be approaching 30 mpg

Why wouldn't Ford join the party?
if this is happening for other manufactiors why not ford?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Because Ford decided to build EcoBoost instead. Even though rumor was it before the economy tanked that they were putting in a 4.4L Twin turbo diesel into the F150. Top of that I think EPA standards changed almost right away.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Two years ago today my wife, son, DiL, and I started a 4 week tour of Europe. Our rent car, a small SUV just big enough for 4 and some luggage, had a little bitty turbo'd diesel and a 5-speed manual. We drove that thing for over 2,000 miles, keeping up with traffic on the autostrada and autobahn, putt-putting through quaint villages, and climbing switchbacks on mountains that required constant rowing of the gears. But that thing did everything we asked of it and we averaged over 50 MPG.

I realize that our emissions standards are more strict than those of Europe, so our diesel fuel costs more and the engines cost more and don't get the same MPG. But, there's no way a gasoline engine would have given us the performance and economy that little diesel did. We were seriously impressed, which led to my wife buying a diesel-powered SUV when we got back. And had diesel been a viable option in a 1/2 ton pickup, including the ability to tow our 6,000 lb boat handily, I would have been on it like white on rice. But it wasn't as the Ram doesn't tow that much weight very well (ever notice the commercials show it towing a couple of motorcycles) and the Nissan isn't ready. And I didn't want to go to a 3/4 ton truck. So I ordered the 3.5L EB. But Ford is going to have to step up to diesel some day soon.
Gary- we had the exact same experience in Europe a couple of years ago and guess what we ended up renting? A Ford Focus Diesel wagon with a manual.
It was a great vehicle and had no problem going 80 mph fully loaded!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM
manwheels
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I didn't answer the poll but my I say no, I would not.

I refuse to pay the ridiculously high buy in costs that all automakers think they can charge for the diesel option. Plus, fuel is higher and maintenance costs are much higher.

Lastly, I don't think the small diesel is going to last any longer than a well maintained gasser. Sorry guys, i'm just not seeing the benefit here.
You have a good point here...

Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by smlford
Gary- we had the exact same experience in Europe a couple of years ago and guess what we ended up renting? A Ford Focus Diesel wagon with a manual.
It was a great vehicle and had no problem going 80 mph fully loaded!
Yep! In both Germany and Italy the speedlimit on the autobahn/autostrada was frequently 130 clicks, which is 81 MPH, and we did every bit of it. That little Peugeot would run. In fact, I was somewhat expecting to get a speeding ticket. Sure enough, 6 months after getting back we got a ticket in the mail - in Italian. No idea what it said, but it was official. Turns out it was for driving in a "locals only" area. The wily Italians have created locals-only areas and posted little bitty signs in Italian saying that you have to have a certain sticker on your car to drive there. And, they positioned a camera to record all the vehicles entering and leaving - in both Pisa and Parma. Sure enough, they caught us.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:09 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by manwheels
You have a good point here...
If Ford would price the diesel competitively and not a huge jump, kind of how a VW TDI is an extra $2500 or so over a gasser I bet that would be probably make them more appealing. Just as long as the diesel can actually last worth a crap. GM only guarantees with maintenance 200,000 miles with the new Duramax with all the emissions on it. Cummins 350,000 or so. Gas engines can last this long...but are probably worn down by then.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 AM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
Two years ago today my wife, son, DiL, and I started a 4 week tour of Europe. Our rent car, a small SUV just big enough for 4 and some luggage, had a little bitty turbo'd diesel and a 5-speed manual. We drove that thing for over 2,000 miles, keeping up with traffic on the autostrada and autobahn, putt-putting through quaint villages, and climbing switchbacks on mountains that required constant rowing of the gears. But that thing did everything we asked of it and we averaged over 50 MPG.

I realize that our emissions standards are more strict than those of Europe, so our diesel fuel costs more and the engines cost more and don't get the same MPG. But, there's no way a gasoline engine would have given us the performance and economy that little diesel did. We were seriously impressed, which led to my wife buying a diesel-powered SUV when we got back. And had diesel been a viable option in a 1/2 ton pickup, including the ability to tow our 6,000 lb boat handily, I would have been on it like white on rice. But it wasn't as the Ram doesn't tow that much weight very well (ever notice the commercials show it towing a couple of motorcycles) and the Nissan isn't ready. And I didn't want to go to a 3/4 ton truck. So I ordered the 3.5L EB. But Ford is going to have to step up to diesel some day soon.
My wife and I had the same experience on a 2 week trip in Norway. We rented a little Mercedes B series 4 door hatchback with a diesel engine and loved the car. We hand calculated 72 MPG, we think. Conversion from liters to gallons and kilometers to miles left a lot of room for errors, but the little car was terrific.

BTW, we don't have more stringent emissions laws than Europe, just different. They were actually using ULSD and DEF before we were.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by redford
…. BTW, we don't have more stringent emissions laws than Europe, just different. They were actually using ULSD and DEF before we were.
Yes, they were. But the key is what "ULSD" means, and it is and has been quite different in Europe than in the US. In fact, Europe's goals were established to promote MPG and reduce CO2 emissions, whereas the goals in the US have been to reduce particulate emissions - as discussed in this paper. Here is a telling statement copied from that paper:
Janez Potocnik, member of the European Commission in charge of Environment said in December 2013 that since 1992 Euro 1 through Euro 5 regulations have failed to spur improved diesel emissions, particularly regarding NOx. He said stricter “Euro 6” regulations to replace Euro 5 this September must correct this.
That, plus the fact that about half of the vehicles now are diesel, explains why Europe has a significant problem with smog right now. People here complain about the EPA but they appear to have done a fairly decent job in averting that problem for us. Or, is it that our fuel costs are so low in comparison to Europe that the incentive to convert to diesel hasn't been so compelling, and the resulting lower number of diesels hasn't caused a problem?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Plus the fact that they have utilized the diesel engine a lot longer than we have here. They never had the failed engines the 350 olds, 6.2/6.5 GM diesels, problematic 6.0L PSD/6.4L. Look at Brazil for example, in the F250 size trucks they have a 3.9L turbo diesel where as here 6-something liter MINIMUM in that size of a truck. I've heard in recent years in Europe they have had a lot of gasoline powered vehicles sold over diesel.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'll watch and see if I can figure out how many gassers to diesels there are when we are there in Sept. But, two years ago the vast majority were diesel. My son and I were watching and were amazed. However, the Italians are also somewhat smitten with the sports/go-fast cars and few, if any, of those are diesel. So that alters the percentages.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
Yes, they were. But the key is what "ULSD" means, and it is and has been quite different in Europe than in the US. In fact, Europe's goals were established to promote MPG and reduce CO2 emissions, whereas the goals in the US have been to reduce particulate emissions - as discussed in this paper. Here is a telling statement copied from that paper:
Janez Potocnik, member of the European Commission in charge of Environment said in December 2013 that since 1992 Euro 1 through Euro 5 regulations have failed to spur improved diesel emissions, particularly regarding NOx. He said stricter “Euro 6” regulations to replace Euro 5 this September must correct this.
That, plus the fact that about half of the vehicles now are diesel, explains why Europe has a significant problem with smog right now. People here complain about the EPA but they appear to have done a fairly decent job in averting that problem for us. Or, is it that our fuel costs are so low in comparison to Europe that the incentive to convert to diesel hasn't been so compelling, and the resulting lower number of diesels hasn't caused a problem?
Certainly, our low fuel prices are a large dis-incentive to create vehicles with good fuel mileage. We develop the technology to make it happen, but instead of making more fuel efficient vehicles, the public demands higher performance.

The Ford diesel engine trucks are a great example of this. Ford could have been working to create more fuel efficient diesel engines, but instead the power output and towing capacity keeps going up. Ten years ago, if I would have told you that in 2015 Joe Average could buy a pickup capable of towing 31,200 pounds, you would have asked why I wasn't sharing whatever it was that I was smoking.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Too bad the lowest price of the F150 is close to $26,000 with high end kissing $70,000! I recall that either I posted or someone mentioned a few months ago that Ford was toying with the idea of an Atkinson F150...aka gasoline/electric hybrid F150. I still think that'll tick off more people than what has already happened. Ford is adamant about EcoBoost, but fuel economy still is not where it should be. Think it'd be better if Ford got off of their pedestal for the truck that tow the most, for the one can get the best mileage and still can tow a decent amount. I don't need a truck that can tow 6 tons.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep! In both Germany and Italy the speedlimit on the autobahn/autostrada was frequently 130 clicks, which is 81 MPH, and we did every bit of it. That little Peugeot would run. In fact, I was somewhat expecting to get a speeding ticket. Sure enough, 6 months after getting back we got a ticket in the mail - in Italian. No idea what it said, but it was official. Turns out it was for driving in a "locals only" area. The wily Italians have created locals-only areas and posted little bitty signs in Italian saying that you have to have a certain sticker on your car to drive there. And, they positioned a camera to record all the vehicles entering and leaving - in both Pisa and Parma. Sure enough, they caught us.
Did you pay the ticket?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Both of them - $150 each. We should have done our homework better. But, we were wrong so paid the fines.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did not know since you were a foreigner of you could slip out of it or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: diesel f-150?