1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help me choose my wheel spacers please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
The misunderstanding of tire wear, look, I'll give you a simple break down, if you drive in a straight line, you get even wear, but when you turn, those rear dually wheels are facing ahead, so one is being drug around as they can not turn independently with their partner, ever hear the noise made by one turning in a parkinglot, same goes for the argument on why a spool in the rear axle is bad. What you have are 2 tires bolted together, giving you a double footprint, now a wide tire pivots on it's center, just how does the dually pivot, either on the outer tire, dragging the inside, or vise verse, thus creating a lot of wear, you get the same with dual axle trailers. I can't believe you guys can't see this, I spotted it when I was a kid playing with my toys!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Now your comparing Apples (16" rims) to Oranges (24" rims) and single axles to tandem axles.

Plus your variables do weight in on how/which tire wears.

My tire guru has been doing tires for over 40+ years, and taking over his fathers business, I've been dealing with him for over 35 years, and he sells/changes tires on every thing from lawn mowers to tractor/trailers, so I'll kind of take his word for this. He's not a truck driver.

And I am talking about the same size/type/pressure in all 4 rear tires, and after plucking down $630 last December for four of the same tires for the rear axle, I'll also take his word for this after seen the outer tire wear quicker on the last set I bought from him 4 years ago on my retired '94 E350 cube van, which I also rotated once a year.

Could your reasoning be the main reason that most trucking company's are switching to single rear tires on both tractors and trailers??? I fact, I just seen a semi dropping nitrite at the tungsten plant near my shop today, running all singles.
It makes no difference in what size the rims are. Tires are tires. Air pressure is air pressure. If your tire man is willing to do the work to rotate as you described for free, by all means take him up on it. But I'll bet he won't. Most companies are not switching to super singles. Very few have. And those tires present their own set of problems that are not shared by duals. You cannot compare tires bought 4 years apart either. Case in point: last year I bought 4 Cooper Cobras for my 96 van, three tires turned out to be defective and one of the two that were swapped off for the front tires also has turned out to be defective. These are the same tires, same brand, same everything to the 4 I bought 7 years ago and put on my 77 Comet, of which all 4 are still doing fine, no defects at all. Ditto for the half dozen sets I've bought over the past 30 years (Cooper radial GT tires ) Your tire guy ? He's blowing smoke up your *** to keep you interested. If he truly was sincere, he'd replace that prematurely worn tire. After all, you said those tires were rotated once a year? Then why did that tire wear, while the others didn't ? And $630 for four tires ? You didn't get much there at $157 per tire. Sure, he's not a truck driver, he SELLS tires for a living..................................

Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Coopers are good for failing, I used to put them on my E-350, both times they failed, they dry rot, surface was ashy, would black your hand when you touched them, then there was the separation issues, 2 totally different types, ran all terrains first, went to highway next, same exact result, front separation from the sidewall, leading across the tread surface, the next time the sidewall blew out. I buy all my tires together, one purchase, and you'll find that big vans like mine, with what is considered commercial tires, no free rotation, hell, no road hazard warranty either, but if it's a good shop, they will rotate them for free, to keep you as a customer.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:15 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Yea, those are my last set of Coopers. The fronts are going to be replaced again this summer before going out west. Gonna try BF Goodrich radial T/A's this time.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
A guy from dads church, he worked at a commercial wholesaler, got a pair of tires from China and put on it, amazing tread pattern, and the reviews from the business industry running them, yeah, hard to believe, but word is, Coopers are to be avoided. Had the guy not had a heart attack, and health putting him out of work, I'd have bought some for my 73, I'm SOL now, gonna buy some rims, since locating 14" tires is tough, sizes are limited, and none are suitable for a van, all passenger car.
A word from tire dealers, leave the tire shine stuff alone, it removes the UV coating on the tires, leading to their early demise, proof they don't make em like they used to, I still have the factory spare on my classic, G78 R-14, kind of scared to put that on the pavement.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
It makes no difference in what size the rims are. Tires are tires. Air pressure is air pressure. If your tire man is willing to do the work to rotate as you described for free, by all means take him up on it. But I'll bet he won't. Most companies are not switching to super singles. Very few have. And those tires present their own set of problems that are not shared by duals. You cannot compare tires bought 4 years apart either. Case in point: last year I bought 4 Cooper Cobras for my 96 van, three tires turned out to be defective and one of the two that were swapped off for the front tires also has turned out to be defective. These are the same tires, same brand, same everything to the 4 I bought 7 years ago and put on my 77 Comet, of which all 4 are still doing fine, no defects at all. Ditto for the half dozen sets I've bought over the past 30 years (Cooper radial GT tires ) Your tire guy ? He's blowing smoke up your *** to keep you interested. If he truly was sincere, he'd replace that prematurely worn tire. After all, you said those tires were rotated once a year? Then why did that tire wear, while the others didn't ? And $630 for four tires ? You didn't get much there at $157 per tire. Sure, he's not a truck driver, he SELLS tires for a living..................................
I think you been sucking in too many diesel fumes from your big rig too long. Talk about blowing smoke.......

First, I rotate my own wheels, and don't rely on others for such trivial things.

Second, I never said that One outside tire was wearing out, as both outside tires will wear out the same, thus rotating them with the inner solves the problem for even tire wear on all four rear tires.

Case in point is what maples01 posted as the Dulles do have a fulcrum point in turning.

Apparently you have not bought tires too offend, or recent as the price I got for E-rated tires was a good price. Bet you never bought a tire for your big rig, have you?? Let the "company" pay for they, do you??

And, I never seen anyone up here buy Cooper's, in fact I thought they were long gone company?? But, I guest they found you, didn't they??
What advantage is it when you buy tires, and all of them are defective??
Waste of time running around with the problems.

No, I'll stick to a true tire guy, that know more that most truck drivers, and go along with his advice and knowledge, cause I know he's not sucking up diesel fumes all day, thank you.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wildman25
I think you been sucking in too many diesel fumes from your big rig too long. Talk about blowing smoke.......

First, I rotate my own wheels, and don't rely on others for such trivial things.

Second, I never said that One outside tire was wearing out, as both outside tires will wear out the same, thus rotating them with the inner solves the problem for even tire wear on all four rear tires.

Case in point is what maples01 posted as the Dulles do have a fulcrum point in turning.

Apparently you have not bought tires too offend, or recent as the price I got for E-rated tires was a good price. Bet you never bought a tire for your big rig, have you?? Let the "company" pay for they, do you??

And, I never seen anyone up here buy Cooper's, in fact I thought they were long gone company?? But, I guest they found you, didn't they??
What advantage is it when you buy tires, and all of them are defective??
Waste of time running around with the problems.

No, I'll stick to a true tire guy, that know more that most truck drivers, and go along with his advice and knowledge, cause I know he's not sucking up diesel fumes all day, thank you.
Gee, you've sure got some anger issues with truck drivers. Did one run off with your girlfriend ? Never bought tires too "offend" ? "Guest" they found you ? And I'm the ignorant one ? Good that you willingly keep your "expert" tire guy in business. I'm sure he appreciates your ignorance too. I've been trucking for 38 years and never seen outside tires wear while the inside's didn't. Maples example though is fairly common with spread axle trailers. Never seen it happen on any drive axle.