1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Considering removing 2.9L engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Josh S
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering removing 2.9L engine

I'm thinking of removing the engine, basically just to drill & re-tap the exhaust manifold bolts and replace the oil pan gasket & rear main seal, but wanted to check in first with those of you who know more than me (that's most of you) to make sure there isn't something I'm missing.

Quick back story: I removed the transmission and had it rebuilt. While it's out I had planned to raise the motor a few inches to replace the badly leaking oil pan gasket. I started with the exhaust manifold/Y-pipe bolts and they are rusted into the exhaust manifold and will need to be cut off (1 has broken off) so I'll need to remove the manifolds to drill/re-tap them. The 2.9's manifold/engine bolts are known to snap so I began with 1, slowly easing it back and forth along with lots of break-away, and sure enough it broke off in the head. I hadn't been planning to remove the engine but it seems like that's where this is headed.

My experience: I've removed and rebuilt a few motorcycle engines but never one from a vehicle. In theory I feel fairly confident I can do this but, like I said, I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing. It looks like the a/c compressor can be removed and just flopped onto the blower motor (lines attached) so hopefully I won't need to disrupt it any more than that. Everything else I've already had off the engine at one time or another.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Josh

Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Josh S
Senior User
Starting the disassembly/removal process this morning. Here we go.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Josh S
Senior User
That was fun!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Georgia8er
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not much I can do to help you, of course it looks like you got it. Just had to say that is one really nice looking Bronco II!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nicely done. That Bronco is one fine machine.

The one thing that has been a deterrent to doing anything like this is that the Ford factory manuals say you have to break open the air conditioning and remove the compressor which means evacuating the system and then having to refill once the engine is back in. I'm not tooled up for that. I was wondering if you could leave it connected and flop it off to the side. I was able to do that on my Accord when I removed and replaced the engine. It sounds like you were able to do it without breaking open the system. Do you know if the Ford manuals say that you have to take apart the A/C to get the engine out for your Bronco? I've found a number of things wrong with the factory service manual and some errors (like fan clutch nut thread direction) haven't been corrected even after 10 years.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Josh S
Senior User
Mike, Yeah, luckily I was able to keep the AC system intact and just flop the compressor over to the passenger side. I thoroughly enjoy expanding my abilities but try to keep it to one thing at a time when I can help it. Learning AC can wait for another day. I'm fairly certain Ford would say to break open the AC system but will check the manual tonight and edit this post if not. (Edit: Remove the A/C compressor and power steering and position out of way, if so equipped.)

That fan clutch nut always puzzles me until I remember the threads are backwards.

Thank you both for the comments on the overall truck! A lot of time and effort have gone into making the Bronco look like it does so it's nice to hear when somebody notices.

Josh

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
That Bronco II looks like it is brand new. Excellent job getting it to look that good.

Jim

Old 04-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Beautiful Bronco II!
Now that the 2.9 is out, replace it with a 4.0 or a 302!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Yes indeed, a 4.0 would not require that much work.

Jim

Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Josh S
Senior User
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Nice, guys . As you can see from the picture I do like to keep things mostly original. The 2.9 still runs great and I'm happy with it.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Beautiful Bronco II!
I have never had a 4.0, but I have a 2.9 in my 86 ranger with the 5 speed and a 3.73 gear. I don't know why anyone would want to put a 302 in this thing. This engine is perfect, plenty of power and good fuel mileage also. It's hard for me to take off from a stoplight when the road is wet, it wants to spin too easily.

The 2.9 doesn't seem to have much oomph down low, but it's a very willing engine and is very fun to drive and has lots of power once you get going.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have never had a 4.0, but I have a 2.9 in my 86 ranger with the 5 speed and a 3.73 gear. I don't know why anyone would want to put a 302 in this thing. This engine is perfect, plenty of power and good fuel mileage also. It's hard for me to take off from a stoplight when the road is wet, it wants to spin too easily.

The 2.9 doesn't seem to have much oomph down low, but it's a very willing engine and is very fun to drive and has lots of power once you get going.
Unless you have driven a Bronco II or a Ranger with a 302/351w done competently and cleanly.........you have yet to glimpse what glory can be.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Josh S
Senior User
I'm not comfortable with the condition of this fuel line and want to replace it. Could anyone offer some guidance as to what it's called and how to replace? I'm always leery when working on the fuel system for danger of fire, especially with this line being right over the engine.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 AM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you concerned about the o-rings, the fuel line between the pressure regulator, or the fitting? Those should all be readily available at the local auto parts store. Most likely, you'll have to use hose clamps if you replace the hose. I haven't seen high pressure fuel line like that in the parts stores.

From my experience, Napa seems to have more detail parts but you should be able to find this stuff on line if you don't have to gawk at and fondle the parts in person before you buy them.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the fuel line going to the fuel pressure regulator and definitely not the factory line from the fuel line disconnect. You probably wouldn't be bad off to replace the whole works, fuel pressure regulator and fuel line in my opinion, it doesn't appear to be terribly high quality.

Quick Reply: Considering removing 2.9L engine