Bronco II Ford Bronco II

1988 Bronco II starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:49 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a beginner, but you mentioned the battery possibly dying. How are your cables? Maybe there's a connection issue. When it was running did you notice anything dying? Like your radio or dash lights? Could it be an alternator? Like I said, I'm new. But I've had both a fuel pump and alternator die on me and the both start relatively the same.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:20 PM
tsytsa
New User
Actually no, my dash lights are all fine. The reason I think my battery is dying is that it barely turns over when I try to start it, but if I have my key in the "ON" position all the lights work and don't flicker or anything. When I charge the battery for a bit then it starts turning over. I think my battery started dying because I kept trying to start the truck but it wouldn't start, so after all that it started running out of juice.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 PM
pozner
Junior User
Mine was a 1990, so it may differ. I had a bad TFI module (that module attached to the distributor). I drove it to work fine, but when I got ready to go home, it would crank over fine, but just wouldn't start.
PITA to replace, but that cured the problem. I didn't have the start and stop problems you did, but if any others had that problem, please chime in.

BTW, keep your battery charged up.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 AM
tsytsa
New User
So I checked everything, replaced a bunch of stuff, I have spark but I ended up replacing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the coil, I also replaced the starter because it was bad. So new fuel pumps, new fuel filters, new fuel pump relay, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new coil, new starter. It turns over fine, now that I have a new starter, and it runs for like 2-3 seconds then dies every time. When I turn the key to "ON" position I hear the fuel pumps working, oh and I know my ignition switch is fine, so now I'm at a loss, have no idea what could be the problem. Any suggestions?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM
tsytsa
New User
An update to my recent reply: I tried starting it in the morning and it would run for a couple seconds then die. Then I started it later in the day and it started fine, no hiccups at all. It's as if it waited for it to get warm in order to start. I don't get it. My brother thinks it might be something with the fuel lines? I thought it could be electrical but it doesn't make sense because it starts up, runs and drives later in the day.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
joshcha2
New User

Had similar issues with my 1988 bronco ll XLT went through the list of everything and it was my relay starter and module. Check all wiring electrical

Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
tsytsa
New User
Originally Posted by joshcha2
Had similar issues with my 1988 bronco ll XLT went through the list of everything and it was my relay starter and module. Check all wiring electrical
Did yours start randomly? Just the last couple days it's been sitting at my dad's place and I'd stop by to start it after work and it would start run and drive. But if I take it someplace like a store or something it might not start when I need to go home. It's like it's got a mind of its own and starts whenever it wants to. You had the same thing?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 PM
tsytsa
New User
Did you mean starter relay?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 AM
joshcha2
New User

Ya starter relay.new battery and new starter and no start. My issues was it would crank but not turnover went through the checklist of fuel pump. Cleaned out intake and nothing. It would only start when i would spray fluid into the intake manifold. Wasn't getting gas to the engine and it was the electric module that controlled the fuel pump.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Many things can cause this but I will add some and hope it helps.

I have had 2 intermittent starting problems with my 88. The first was a ground wire. If you send me an e-mail to happylbjack@yahoo.com I can send you a picture. The second was/is the relay. The bracket that holds it up right is broken and it seems from time to time (usually after some heavy wheeling) it will shake loose and moisture will get in the relay when it rains.

Both problems the fuel pump would not come on when I turned the ignition switch on. Leave you door open and listen for the fuel pump when you turn the ignition switch to run. If you hear it come on for a few seconds then try to start it. I was about to try replacing the ignition switch when another on this board told me about the ground wire. The next time it happened we went to the wires below the starter solenoid and move them a bit and the truck started.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM
DocRoche
Senior User
Im having this same issue with my 87. Turn the key and it starts right up just to die, all in a matter of seconds. Have to sit in the vehicle with my foot on the gas for a couple minutes to keep it going. Once it warms up a bit is will idle somewhat erratically but won't shut off. I was thinking fuel pump but now not so sure because I can hear them turn on. Hoping to figure it out soon. Let me know what worked for you if you solved the problem.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:37 AM
rap250
New User
Ya starter relay.new battery and new starter and no start. My issues was it would crank but not turnover went through the checklist of fuel pump. Cleaned out intake and nothing. It would only start when i would spray fluid into the intake manifold. Wasn't getting gas to the engine and it was the electric module that controlled the fuel pump.
I am having this same problem and have to use starter fluid to start the car. Which electric module are you referring to, the want in the gas tank or some other module? Did your RPMs also take a quick dip and return to normal when idling or running? Thanks and hopefully you are still monitoring this forum. RP