Sponsored by:

New Member - intro

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member - intro

Hey everyone, just wanted to say I've finally gotten and excursion and joined the forum. I've been lurking a long time and book marking all the best topics. I'm pretty good at doing all my own auto work but I'm new to diesel so I've got some things to learn.
Yesterday I got a really good deal on the excursion I've been looking for. It is a 2002 limited wearing green purchased from the original owner. It has 230,000 and is the 7.3L. It runs great and doesn't smoke at all. Overall the truck is in great shape with a few exceptions and is bone stock except for having the factory DVD replaced with an aftermarket unit.
The bad - the roof is rusty and peeling quite badly and the truck has some cracks in the paint elsewhere. The rear bumper also has its fair share of flaky paint and rust.
My wife was on the fence about the excursion so I let her drive it home and when we got there she said (and this is a real quote) "I think I'm in love - this is the best truck I've ever driven". So that seals the deal. I'll post some pictures in the next day or two when I get a chance. Any advice on the paint and rust would be welcomed too.
-Brian

Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM
ChadTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by psycoreefer
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I've finally gotten and excursion and joined the forum. I've been lurking a long time and book marking all the best topics. I'm pretty good at doing all my own auto work but I'm new to diesel so I've got some things to learn.
Yesterday I got a really good deal on the excursion I've been looking for. It is a 2002 limited wearing green purchased from the original owner. It has 230,000 and is the 7.3L. It runs great and doesn't smoke at all. Overall the truck is in great shape with a few exceptions and is bone stock except for having the factory DVD replaced with an aftermarket unit.
The bad - the roof is rusty and peeling quite badly and the truck has some cracks in the paint elsewhere. The rear bumper also has its fair share of flaky paint and rust.
My wife was on the fence about the excursion so I let her drive it home and when we got there she said (and this is a real quote) "I think I'm in love - this is the best truck I've ever driven". So that seals the deal. I'll post some pictures in the next day or two when I get a chance. Any advice on the paint and rust would be welcomed too.
-Brian

Hi Brian

Welcome to FTE. I'm fairly new myself but there is a ton of info and great conversation to be had.

When you have a chance add your location, a signature, and load those pictures! If you need help navigating the site check out the Read First and Tech Folders!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on you purchase and welcome to FTE!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM
GTFun06
Senior User
Welcome Brian....great group of guys here... and the search tool is your best friend! These guys know these trucks inside and out.

I believe the bumpers are prone to flaky paint.... not sure really how to attack that rust! Are you in the north?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Welcome!

Can't wait to see pictures! What do you have planned for it?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:07 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Thanks for the warm welcome, I tried to do the signature thing but I can't because I don't have a paid membership, and given that I just spend all my money I don't think the membership thing is going to happen right away.

I'm actually located in Nevada near Reno and the truck has lived its whole life in Northern California. The PO indicated that the roof and hood got bubbles and was repaired by ford under warranty and that he had the roof repainted again once after that so the roof rust has been a problem on this truck from day one for some reason. I knew that going in and at this point the rust is still just light surface rust, but it needs to be addressed (and hopefully permanently) before it gets worse. It is the only thing that gave me second thoughts about the truck, but I paid about 1/2 of blue book value and from what I've seen blue book significantly under-values the excursion 7.3L trucks.

My wife's plans for the truck are:
1. get the rust fixed
2. Get it painted
3. Get the front seats re-covered and switch out the console for one of the 40/20/40 bench seat centers.

My plans for the truck (which will likely start after hers are done)
1. 4 or 5" exhaust
2. Air filter mod
2.5 Roof top tent and custom camp kitchen insert.
3. 2" lift - probably new springs too
4. Chip & tunes
5. Cut out flares & tires - I like the big tires little lift look
6. Custom off-road type bumpers
7. Hydraulic winch
Mixed in with a bunch of the low cost mods and stuff I've been bookmarking from the forum.

If the transmission gives up I'll be swapping out for a manual trans - I've found a few folks who've done it and I think it is within my abilities and I love shifting.

Basically my wife wants it to look nice and I want it to be capable as we do quite a bit of off-roading and camping.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome

Pics or it didn't happen...

Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Congrats, and welcome to the best little forum on the interwebs!

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Hemmi06
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard....

Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Howdy! Nice to hear from a fellow Northern Nevadan! My wife is my best supporter of the Ex. We drove a couple dozen prior to buying ours... by the time we found 'the one' she was convinced I was going to let her have it as her daily driver... NOT! So, it's our weekend fun with the kid and dogs bus! Anyway, welcome and lots of pics!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Pics - a bit dirty

Old 04-24-2015, 04:12 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition and welcome to FTE.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Lot of child seats in there... You don't have kids do you?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:38 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Lot of child seats in there... You don't have kids do you?
Nope None - I just like to have a lot of space for my self. And sometimes I like to sit in the back in a 5 point harness.....

Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome Brian! Suggestion-check out your front end very carefully-balljoints, tie rods, drag link etc etc If you notice the truck wander there are a number of mods you may want to make which you can search about here or just post a thread. My number one item on the checklist was the steering and I'm on my 2nd X. Protect your cargo! Again welcome...and we will be glad to offer numerous suggestions on how and where to spend your hard earned cash What are friends for??

Quick Reply: New Member - intro