1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 giving me wiring/starting fits

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:24 AM
suicidecharley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 giving me wiring/starting fits

90 7.5 e350 that won't start with the key. Turn the key to start and nothing. I can jump it at the relay. Actuator arm in the steering column was broken so I replaced that but still no go.

What is weird is that there seems to be TWO starter relays kinda daisy chained BUT I am able to jump it. There is the old round style (like THIS on the fire wall and a newer type (like THIS) just above the battery. I wanted to take a look at the neutral safety switch but not sure where it is.

I also thought maybe I could wire up a push button start on the newer style relay but I can't get it to work (Did one on my 88 Bronco and tried the same method, line to button from the "S" terminal and inline fused 12v). Do these need to grounded at the "I" terminal for a push button?

This is on an RV by the way, for chassis. Really driving me nuts, got it a few weeks ago and I'm trying to clean this thing up to get it smogged but I know the smog shop won't want to deal with starting the thing to smog it.

Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:29 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The NSS (neutral safety switch) is mounted on the drivers *left* side of the transmission. Not hard to miss at all.

That image is for a C6 NSS.

2 quick checks of the NSS, first, drop the gear selector to Neutral, turn key, if start, you found the problem, Also, pull the gear selector back and forth through all selections, and back into Park, if start, you found the problem.
2nd test is to have key on, not running, select Reverse, see if the back-up lights come on, if not, again, you found the problem.

I have also found problems with the NSS with the wire harness connector, seen the wires totally corrode out of the connector, so that should be checked also.

The second solenoid you posted is the main starter solenoid, by the battery, the first one, ???? maybe something to do with the RV conversion???

I don't think I would want to add a plunger type starter switch, if the transmission is in gear, and you hit the starter switch, or even jump the solenoid, you'll be chasing this RV down the road, if it didn't run you over first.

Of course...........with your Handle name, this could be a good thing for you????

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
suicidecharley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildman25
The NSS (neutral safety switch) is mounted on the drivers *left* side of the transmission. Not hard to miss at all.

That image is for a C6 NSS.

2 quick checks of the NSS, first, drop the gear selector to Neutral, turn key, if start, you found the problem, Also, pull the gear selector back and forth through all selections, and back into Park, if start, you found the problem.
2nd test is to have key on, not running, select Reverse, see if the back-up lights come on, if not, again, you found the problem.

I have also found problems with the NSS with the wire harness connector, seen the wires totally corrode out of the connector, so that should be checked also.

The second solenoid you posted is the main starter solenoid, by the battery, the first one, ???? maybe something to do with the RV conversion???

I don't think I would want to add a plunger type starter switch, if the transmission is in gear, and you hit the starter switch, or even jump the solenoid, you'll be chasing this RV down the road, if it didn't run you over first.

Of course...........with your Handle name, this could be a good thing for you????
Thanks for the reply. Definitely need to check this after work today. Not sure why I hadn't thought about trying to start in N. Way over thinking this. I know it's not ideal for the push button start but it was a workaround for me to take this beast to the smog shop. It's worked for me in my Bronco since I'm the only one who drives it.