Sponsored by: Moser

Still can't get this thing running. 79 F350, 351 Cleveland

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Cbad285
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still can't get this thing running. 79 F350, 351 Cleveland

I've got this ignition system hooked up the best I can figure. Heres the diagram and how its hooked up.

at the moment my problem is when i turn the key to start, it turns the starter motor over but when i release the key and it turns to run, the starter continues to turn over.

At the ignition switch on the diagram, S being start. I have both the bypass and the line running to white from the ignition module tied into the same wire.
this being start, I presumed it had to go to the same place.

Here is a picture of a quick release plug, which has red and blue running to it, which is start as well I believe. I've tested it, its 12v on start and .45 at run. so not even a volt. This red and blue wire runs from the key switch to the quick release, and then down into the harness away from the key. At the moment, I simply have these two red wires jumped together with a short piece of wire in the plug. When the starter continues to turn over, instead of pulling the cable, I can just pull that jumper.

So as it stands, I'm getting 7 volts to the coil on run, the starter continues to turn over even in run and the truck will not start, though it is in time and it has a new battery. I did have spark, however at the moment im not so sure. In the truck is a new ballast reisistor, a new ignition module, a new starter solenoid, new cap, plugs, wires. msd booster coil (there was an msd box in this truck but i replaced it with the ignition module and kept the coil).

Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 PM
ronspolv
Senior User
If I'm reading your post correctly, you have the Red/Blue jumped to a Red wire that is hot in run position? That is why the starter relay stays energized (and spinning the starter) because that Red/Blue wire never drops out? The Red/Blue should only be hot in crank. Try this, remove that jumper, and with the starter motor cable disconnected from the starter relay end, actuate your key switch to run then crank position. It should only pull in the starter relay in the switch crank position. When you let go of the key to run, the relay should drop out. I would start with that and go from there. The brown wire that connects to the starter relay post is your ignition full voltage start bypass.

edit: Ok I think you have the jumper in to bypass the park/neutral switch? In any case, your Red/Blue wire is staying hot and holding the relay in and you have to back track that issue first.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Cbad285
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ronspolv
If I'm reading your post correctly, you have the Red/Blue jumped to a Red wire that is hot in run position? That is why the starter relay stays energized (and spinning the starter) because that Red/Blue wire never drops out? The Red/Blue should only be hot in crank. Try this, remove that jumper, and with the starter motor cable disconnected from the starter relay end, actuate your key switch to run then crank position. It should only pull in the starter relay in the switch crank position. When you let go of the key to run, the relay should drop out. I would start with that and go from there. The brown wire that connects to the starter relay post is your ignition full voltage start bypass.

edit: Ok I think you have the jumper in to bypass the park/neutral switch? In any case, your Red/Blue wire is staying hot and holding the relay in and you have to back track that issue first.

The jumper is between two red and blue wires. One that is less than a volt while in run and 12v at start and another that has no voltage in start or run. im not sure what the purpose of this quick release plug is, it may be the start nuetral that im bypassing. in any case if it's not jumped, it won't turn over at all.

I agree that my start or red and blue is staying hot and in so, holding the relay in. I think its staying hot because of this start bypass thats running from my red and blue at the key switch, directly to the other end of the ballast resistor. its getting 7v constant just at that connection. is that enough to turn the starter motor over?

Using your trouble shoot - So you want me to disconnect the cable to the starter motor from the starter solenoid leaving the wiring hooked up under the dash but without the jumper line? and try to turn it over.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Cbad285
Freshman User
if it will help at all, i can take pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up and post back here then. maybe seeing what im talking about will help.