1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

50 F1 motor ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM
kev63rod
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 F1 motor ideas?

so i have a 50 that i want to put a newer motor in. originally a flat 8 and 4 speed. still in the truck and i plan on keeping it for a maybe someday put back in, but right now im looking for something that will be fuel efficient and reliable but still have enough guts to be enjoyable to drive. not going to be a daily but maybe a summer time truck. this aint the place to admit it but im not a ford guy. dont know much about their motors at all. im really familiar with gm 3800 and have a series II out of a camaro in my shop right now with computer and harness. was wondering what y'alls thought on that would be? cant seem to find anyone that has attempted this but think it should fit fairly easily. only concerns right now is exhaust fit up but think it should be doable as there is proablly headers made for these? i am comfortable with the wiring as i am currently working on a harness to put one of these in my 88 fiero. thoughts right now arer to put a na motor in and then if there is room do a sc top swap as i have a couple sets of them laying around. still have to figure out a title on the truck as it was junked in 60 and they say i can only get one if i register it as a 2015 and i certainly do not want to do that because even though we dont have emmisions in SD right now, if they ever change that i would have to comply to 15's regulations.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM
walt460
Senior User
Does the 50 still have the serial number stamped on the top of the passenger-side frame rail near the front axle area? If so, you can get it titled as a 50.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've never heard of "special construction" or "Assigned Title" vehicles having to conform to emission or safety regs. I wouldn't worry about that. Especially in SD. But by all means see if you can get a new title issued with the original serial number. ASAP!!

The 3800 is a nice engine, plenty of steam for one of these trucks. A little low on torque compared to a V8 but it would be more than adequate, and fit in there with lots of room to spare.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:09 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool idea. But the fur still hasn't settled from this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ay-or-nay.html Actually I think most of us enjoy the discussions that come from these kinds of questions. I've not heard anyone mention implanting a 3800. My only criticism would be that you at least call it a 231 because IMO metric fits these trucks even worse than a Chevy engine.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by das54
... IMO metric fits these trucks even worse than a Chevy engine.
Like a 5.0 or a 4.6?!

The 3800 is a Buick engine (B-O-P, really) which is a little better.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, I did not know the 3800 is one of the most produced engines in the world. over 25 million made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine I've owned 2.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
kev63rod
Freshman User
thats the main reason im thinking about using the 3800, you can get them everywhere. ive owed quite a few 3800 powered cars and right now have 3 3800 sc cars, so yeah kinda like them lol. im on an extremely tight budget so i need to use as much stuff that i can that either i have already or can get cheap. really want to do the jag frontend but i live on a reservation and there are no jags around here at all.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Steve49841
New User
Don't waste your time or spend a dime until you can prove you own the truck. Bills of sale and handshake deals are a waste of time without a title.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Get the title first as stated above.

I always thought the Cadillac engines looked cool.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 AM
kev63rod
Freshman User
yeah i need to find out who to talk to about the title. the dvm girls didnt even know what a F1 was. i have a notarized bill of sell and applied for a title but got a nasty letter back with a copy of the title stating it was junked in 60. it's a straight truck with very little rust and makes me sick about the title. half the fight with getting one is finding someone that knows what they are talking about. the main reason it has just sat is cause i dont have the title figured out and dont want to put money into a lost cause.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 AM
Steve49841
New User
You should be able to fine conversations on FTE about lost titles. Probably the best way would be to find someone in your neck of the woods that has gone through it with the SD DMV and pick their brain. The good news for you is you are trying to get a truck that was originally registered in SD and junked in SD, re-registered in SD and not across state lines. If all else fails there is one other way to do this (other then the rebuilder title). I've heard of guys selling titles and data plates from trucks that have been salvaged then screwing the plate on their truck and heading off to the DMV with title in hand. However I think this method probably falls in a gray area legally.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kev,
Welcome Aboard. Most states have a Bonded Title process where you go buy a bond for the value of the truck (not much) - if no one shows up for the truck after a defined amount of time - it's your's with title. In Texas the bond is for 10% or so of the value of truck - not much money.

If your budget is tight - use what you have for the drivetrain. Plenty of folks on here have non-ford engines.

Good luck over there in South Dakota.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
walt460
Senior User
Kev,

Title issue is straight forward process in most states IF your frame has the serial number still in-place. It is an easy check to do, just look at the top side of the passenger-side frame rail, usually just in front of the front axle mount area. If there is a serial number there, you can get a title as long as no one else is using that same number on their vehicle.

If the serial number can not be found on the frame, many states will still give you a title with an "assigned VIN".

When you have an "assigned VIN" some states, Like Calif and Nevada, will required your vehicle meet emissions requirements for the build date of your engine if the engine you install is newer than 1967.

The information for South Dakota is posted here: http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_SD.pdf from what I see here, there is a clear process in SD. It is easy if you can find the serial # on the frame or the cab, but if you need to go to an assigned VIN, you can even pick the VIN number yourself!

Last edited by walt460; 04-23-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve49841
You should be able to fine conversations on FTE about lost titles. Probably the best way would be to find someone in your neck of the woods that has gone through it with the SD DMV and pick their brain. The good news for you is you are trying to get a truck that was originally registered in SD and junked in SD, re-registered in SD and not across state lines. If all else fails there is one other way to do this (other then the rebuilder title). I've heard of guys selling titles and data plates from trucks that have been salvaged then screwing the plate on their truck and heading off to the DMV with title in hand. However I think this method probably falls in a gray area legally.
No gray area there at all, it is a Federal felony!!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:19 PM
tjdad62
Senior User
Originally Posted by kev63rod
so i have a 50 that i want to put a newer motor in. originally a flat 8 and 4 speed. still in the truck and i plan on keeping it for a maybe someday put back in, but right now im looking for something that will be fuel efficient and reliable but still have enough guts to be enjoyable to drive. not going to be a daily but maybe a summer time truck. this aint the place to admit it but im not a ford guy. dont know much about their motors at all. im really familiar with gm 3800 and have a series II out of a camaro in my shop right now with computer and harness. was wondering what y'alls thought on that would be? cant seem to find anyone that has attempted this but think it should fit fairly easily. only concerns right now is exhaust fit up but think it should be doable as there is proablly headers made for these? i am comfortable with the wiring as i am currently working on a harness to put one of these in my 88 fiero. thoughts right now arer to put a na motor in and then if there is room do a sc top swap as i have a couple sets of them laying around. still have to figure out a title on the truck as it was junked in 60 and they say i can only get one if i register it as a 2015 and i certainly do not want to do that because even though we dont have emmisions in SD right now, if they ever change that i would have to comply to 15's regulations.

I am going through the Colorado title process right now. Mine didn't have one, so I got the truck all ready and drove with a Temp tag to the inspection. They didn't look at anything except the VIN on the glove box and the firewall. I went to all the trouble of getting signals, lights, horn wipers, etc ready because I thought they would look at all of that...they were more interested in looking at my handy work and listening to the engine than seeing if it was "road worthy"...haha Several pictures were taken in the meantime

The title process is long but not really that painful. You just have to wait several days or weeks between each step.

Quick Reply: 50 F1 motor ideas?