Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy? engine swap idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crazy? engine swap idea

I can't be the first to have thought of this, but here we go.

The new coyote engines are popping up everywhere and wouldn't take much to save up for one. They now have a zf5 that can bolt to one meaning perfect tranny for our trucks. The wiring harness is unbelievably easy to work with.

Three things come to mind that will be difficulties in making this happen.

1. Engine mounts. should be easy enough to fab something here so I'll go on to the next question.

2. Fuel system. Not sure if the stock pumps would be adequate for feeding the engine. It may be a better idea to swap to one large tank and install a newer f150 pump or maybe just upgrade both in tank pumps. I don't know which direction I'd go with that one.

3. Radiator. My core support is rotten anyway so I'd be in there soon enough, but could a newer f150 radiator be made to fit with a homemade core support so adequate cooling is achieved or would a factory support and radiator be good enough?

Seems with some time and effort, and a lot of money, this could result in a really nice daily driver that would get better mileage and make more power than any of the other options on our trucks.

If I think I can make this work, I'll start saving soon and potentially dive in next summer. I'd love to make it happen though.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarryd
Seems with some time and effort, and a lot of money, this could result in a really nice daily driver that would get better mileage and make more power than any of the other options on our trucks.
It would be cool for sure but It won't getting any better milage than a built up 5.0 or 5.8 with the same trans and axle gearing, it takes a certain amount of energy to more a vehicle so engine type really doesn't matter. Proof of that is in the average fuel milage returned by modern trucks which really isn't significantly better than what these old trucks got and is definitely not better than what is achieved when a 5.0 or 5.8 is upgraded to comparable output levels.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 AM
WidowMaker13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
It would be cool for sure but It won't getting any better milage than a built up 5.0 or 5.8 with the same trans and axle gearing, it takes a certain amount of energy to more a vehicle so engine type really doesn't matter. Proof of that is in the average fuel milage returned by modern trucks which really isn't significantly better than what these old trucks got and is definitely not better than what is achieved when a 5.0 or 5.8 is upgraded to comparable output levels.
It's something cool for sure, but it's been done at least a few times. My brother-in-law got to see one last week in a late 40s Ford pickup. The guy came to buy his 95 Cobra. Instead of cash it would have been nice to just do a swap. I personally prefer old engines in old trucks and new engines in new trucks, but I also love seeing things that are rare or even unique. If you decide to do it (first save a ton of money) and definitely do a build thread for it. I'd love to watch the progress.

What would be the truck that you put it in?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
It would be cool for sure but It won't getting any better milage than a built up 5.0 or 5.8 with the same trans and axle gearing, it takes a certain amount of energy to more a vehicle so engine type really doesn't matter. Proof of that is in the average fuel milage returned by modern trucks which really isn't significantly better than what these old trucks got and is definitely not better than what is achieved when a 5.0 or 5.8 is upgraded to comparable output levels
Looking at engine/trans combo from this generation, 18 mpg is about the max.

The newer 5.0 although it has a better tranny gearing for mileage, the truck weighs considerably more and shows 21 Mpg.

Obviously mileage wouldn't be my main reasoning for doing a swap like this.

obviously the logical option is a 5.8 but sometimes it's fun to be different.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
I'd love to swap out the fuel injection on my 5.8l for a good old 4bbl carb intake... Just cause I prefer carbs... Get a nice pre-e carb, & adjust idle & mix to achieve proper emissions... And eliminate the computer entirely...

Scott

Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ng19delta
I'd love to swap out the fuel injection on my 5.8l for a good old 4bbl carb intake... Just cause I prefer carbs... Get a nice pre-e carb, & adjust idle & mix to achieve proper emissions... And eliminate the computer entirely...

Scott
I think if I had a 5.8 already, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. I'm one of the few people who doesn't like my 4.9. It's reliable, that's about all I can say about it.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You must really love your truck to invest that kind of time and money.

As far as the swap, what you listed for concerns, only the fuel is of concern.
I would either upgrade both the pumps to a newer pump I knew could take the variable voltage output of the computer, me block off the return line. Or convert to a return system. There's no reason to switch to a single tank.

Engine frame mounts are easy, radiator is of no concern because there's plenty of room for the new style, and probably not a big deal to use the old style, I'm sure it's not that much small if it is at all.

Making it work is easy. There's a lot of room under the hood. You just need time and money.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
I've all but thrown out the idea now. It was just something I had considered. I want to do something, but I don't know what yet. I'll keep on trucking along with the 300 for now.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Just bolt in a 351 for now. You'll be happy with the power upgrade.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Just bolt in a 351 for now. You'll be happy with the power upgrade.
You say that like even doing that is no big deal. If I had all the parts, I'd do it in a heartbeat though.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 PM
krooser
Elder User
Find a donor truck or a fairly complete truck in a junkyard.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
You say that like even doing that is no big deal. If I had all the parts, I'd do it in a heartbeat though.
But the coyote engine wasn't a project you had to buy parts for?
It's either a 5000 dollar project for a coyote or a $500 investment for a 351... Doesn't seem too tricky to me.
It is literally a weekend job if you bought a parts truck.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
$4,000-$7,000 just for the motor?

I know there's is place that swaps 'em into Foxes for $14,000 turn-key.

If it were me, my 300 would be getting a header and a few other add-ons.

Or that 351 is looking better and better!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by broncoderek
$4,000-$7,000 just for the motor?

I know there's is place that swaps 'em into Foxes for $14,000 turn-key.

If it were me, my 300 would be getting a header and a few other add-ons.

Or that 351 is looking better and better!

I'd prefer to do a 351 with headers a cam and some head work.

after I clear out my garage, I might just have to make a clean spot to start building one.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
I'd prefer to do a 351 with headers a cam and some head work.

after I clear out my garage, I might just have to make a clean spot to start building one.
I think you'd be VERY pleased with that!

Quick Reply: crazy? engine swap idea