New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Introducing myself: Ditzy but methodical blonde in Reno, NV area

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:48 PM
whalepirot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tanya_charbury
I speak English, Afrikaans, German and French and I grew up ..........Heidelberg Germany.
I recall lunch at the Roten Ochsen. My Deutsch is quite rusty and I swear, there are none so sweet as you sound in these parts!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM
tanya_charbury
Freshman User
Originally Posted by whalepirot
I recall lunch at the Roten Ochsen. My Deutsch is quite rusty and I swear, there are none so sweet as you sound in these parts!
Thank you. I had the mixed blessing of finding, when I was 14 and it was too late to change my accent, a German parody book making fun of German Heidelberg accent, sort of like some people make fun of a US Southern accent (which I think is silly since a Southern US accent sounds great to me). So, yep, I sound like a German hick to a German. :-) I'm glad YOU like it, though!!

~Tanya

Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 AM
TrueBlue02
Junior User
Welcome from another new arrival.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 AM
tanya_charbury
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TrueBlue02
Welcome from another new arrival.
Welcome to you too. :-)

Old 09-14-2015, 03:40 AM
frank5079
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think in US English unless I speak German. Then I have to spend a few minutes rewiring my head to thinking in German. I was in Cologne in December of 2014 and I was walking around my room when I stubbed my toe on the bed frame (yeah, I'm kinda clumsy and ditzy), and I said "ouch dammit" in German immediately even though I was the only person in the room. I thought that was pretty funny. So when in German mode I think in German. And that's true when I speak in other languages too. I think in that language including its cultural paradigms and tone.

Even when I speak American English, some folks hereabout can still pick up a slight German accent in my voice. Ironically when I'm in Germany, nobody seems to notice anything non-German about me, or if they do, they don't let on.
I dated an Australian girl about 23 years back and she said that us Yanks didn't speak "English" rather we spoke "American".... The funny thing about dating her for a few months is that I started to pick up on her accent, and to this day I can mimic an "Aussie accent" pretty well.

Now as for myself, ethnically, I am Filipino, but I was born and raised here in the States. I never picked up the Kentucky accent(though I can mimic it pretty well, much to the chagrin of my Kentucky-born and raised wife) though I have been told that I have a "plain, white-bread American accent", even after living in Kentucky for over 38 years.

At any rate, welcome to the forum!!!

Frank

Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 AM
tanya_charbury
Freshman User
British accents

Thank you, Frank. I enjoyed reading your post and I appreciate the warm welcome. I've been told to get rid of my Ford E150 since it has so many issues and I simply refuse so I may well be on here for a long time.

Yes, the UK vs. US language thing gets messy. "Two people separated by a common language" describes it well.

I had a high-school English teacher who could have made Hitler look mellow by comparison so I arrived in the US immersed in a British way of speaking, thinking etc. My first job in the US was as the office manager in a speed shop (Toyotas, not meth) and my female co-worker was a ridiculously hot busty lovely long-haired 18-year-old brunette on whom the 22-year-old me had a minor crush (yes, I'm a chick who likes chicks, don't hate me). I asked her to hand me an eraser that I suspected to be on her desk, and out of my reach and sight. "Do you have a rubber?" my voice rang out across the office -- which was suddenly very quiet for a few very long seconds ... ouch. I hadn't realized that rubber = condom in the US. Oops.

~Tanya

Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM
frank5079
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I asked her to hand me an eraser that I suspected to be on her desk, and out of my reach and sight. "Do you have a rubber?" my voice rang out across the office -- which was suddenly very quiet for a few very long seconds ... ouch. I hadn't realized that rubber = condom in the US. Oops.
Yup, when my family came here back in 1973, I had to retrain myself on the usage of a few words; words like thongs, which describes g-strings, here in the States, but described flip-flops in the Philippines. Biscuits were cookies, football was soccer, and American football is American football....