6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Custom vs Canned for everyday driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom vs Canned for everyday driving.

Thinking of trying out my canned tunes for everyday driving. Who here runs caned tunes for everyday driving?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Used to run the street tune, hottest one on the tuner for my devise. Worked pretty good, got a little better mileage on the freeway. Towed with it too.

Does your devise have custom tunes?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I liked the canned SCT tunes.

I used to use the Performance and Street tunes quite a bit as a DD.

Now I use the Gearhead 8K as my DD, which I would consider a little hotter than the canned Street tune.

My PCM/TCM really liked the canned Performance tune. Excellent highway MPG and the trans shifted perfectly.

Josh

Old 04-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Used to run the street tune, hottest one on the tuner for my devise. Worked pretty good, got a little better mileage on the freeway. Towed with it too.

Does your devise have custom tunes?
I have Matts SRL and his tow tune. Been using the tow tune. SRL shifts horrible and he has adjusted it twice.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Will Bite
I have Matts SRL and his tow tune. Been using the tow tune. SRL shifts horrible and he has adjusted it twice.
When did you purchase the SRL tune? I think mine was about this time last year. Seems there are several of us complaining about the SRL's shifting now, whereas, it didn't seem like a problem before.

Maybe Matt changed something?

Either way, Matt has been worthless about fixing it.

Josh

Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Canned tunes work fine, I towed 4500 miles with the 65hp tow and it was fine. Bill @ Power Hungry has been the best for me with custom tunes, his trans tuning works great.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
When did you purchase the SRL tune? I think mine was about this time last year. Seems there are several of us complaining about the SRL's shifting now, whereas, it didn't seem like a problem before.

Maybe Matt changed something?

Either way, Matt has been worthless about fixing it.

Josh
I had mine now for about 2 years. He adjusted it on two occasions and it didn't really help.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine was the same way. I asked for this correction.... hold the shift to the last possible second, lock the convertor right away and make it so I really have to step down to get a down shift, as in nearly floor it.

Mine is shifting great after that. Also tighten the smoke control, I hate smoke!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Will Bite
Elder User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Mine was the same way. I asked for this correction.... hold the shift to the last possible second, lock the convertor right away and make it so I really have to step down to get a down shift, as in nearly floor it.

Mine is shifting great after that. Also tighten the smoke control, I hate smoke!
My tow tune shifts fine. It's only the SRL that shifts like that. I'm going run the canned performance tune this week and see what happens.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Bite
I also have SRL, 8K tow, and unlimited tow from Gearhead. SRL shifts so bad that I can't even use it. I run the 8K tow as my DD. I also have Looney Tune from QuickTricks and I like it real well. It shifts great and the only reason I don't usually run it as my DD is because I can't seem to keep my foot off of the skinny pedal when I'm running it! LOL

Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by LSO1123
I also have SRL, 8K tow, and unlimited tow from Gearhead. SRL shifts so bad that I can't even use it. I run the 8K tow as my DD. I also have Looney Tune from QuickTricks and I like it real well. It shifts great and the only reason I don't usually run it as my DD is because I can't seem to keep my foot off of the skinny pedal when I'm running it! LOL
Does you Looney have a light switch effect? Pretty strong down low and then all of a sudden raped ape?

Which isn't too big of deal except when you nudge the throttle to speed around a car and then Wham!

Josh

Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Does you Looney have a light switch effect? Pretty strong down low and then all of a sudden raped ape?

Which isn't too big of deal except when you nudge the throttle to speed around a car and then Wham!

Josh
My old looney (my daily driver) has an extreme light switch effect but it suits my turbo very well. It's great for getting around the oakabillies on the back roads.

My new looney is more linear in power but doesn't seem to have the *** my old looney does.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
My old looney (my daily driver) has an extreme light switch effect but it suits my turbo very well. It's great for getting around the oakabillies on the back roads.

My new looney is more linear in power but doesn't seem to have the *** my old looney does.
I have a tune form her I call "Looney Mild". Sort of an inbetween the canned Street and Performance.

I would probably use it more, but it makes me paranoid she has the idle ICP @ 625+ and IPR @ 25%

With the higher idle pressure it idles glass smooth though.

Josh

Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a tune form her I call "Looney Mild". Sort of an inbetween the canned Street and Performance.

I would probably use it more, but it makes me paranoid she has the idle ICP @ 625+ and IPR @ 25%

With the higher idle pressure it idles glass smooth though.

Josh
Mine is extremely touchy on cold oil. You can definitely tell at what RPM the IPR is set to move. It will snap your neck if you let it. Let her get warmed up a little and it pulls smooth and strong. Transmission is really happy with it too.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Mine is extremely touchy on cold oil. You can definitely tell at what RPM the IPR is set to move. It will snap your neck if you let it. Let her get warmed up a little and it pulls smooth and strong. Transmission is really happy with it too.
My regular Looney Tune shifts like butt on colder mornings (30 or colder) but after a couple shifts and especially at operating temp it's a beast

Josh

Quick Reply: Custom vs Canned for everyday driving.