6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Coolant Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:12 PM
RWC2504
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Coolant Leaks

I have a coolant leak somewhere on the top of the engine running down to the oil pan and bell housing. I have done some research and discovered it could be the coolant inlet tube to the turbo. Anyone else have this issue or a coolant leak somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks

Old 04-19-2015, 12:57 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That appears to be the second most common area for a leak on the 6.7 with the radiator being number one.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is likely the turbo fitting as mentioned. Funny thing though. I have replaced about a dozen turbo fittings and only one radiator.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Here's a video showing the fitting that can leak coolant at the turbo.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
Thats what my 2011 truck needed. Coolant fitting on the turbo at about 135,000 miles. No problem with my radiator.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RWC, when you experience the leak, do you smell the coolant burning/heating on the engine?

I recently had my 2011 in the dealer due to an odor entering the cab. I would only notice the smell when coming to a stop or when pulling into the garage. It was not always present, only certain times. The dealer service underwriter said I had a coolant leak beneath the turbo, so I am guessing it is the same connection you mention and the same as shown in the video posted here.

Just wondering if you would smell the heated coolant in your situation.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Glittle
Senior User
I had one leaking for two days last week appearing to leak from my primary water pump. I could smell it and I could see it leaking down onto the track bar. But it mysteriously stopped leaking. I'm sure it'll be back in time.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM
vermilian
Senior User
Originally Posted by RWC2504
I have a coolant leak somewhere on the top of the engine running down to the oil pan and bell housing. I have done some research and discovered it could be the coolant inlet tube to the turbo. Anyone else have this issue or a coolant leak somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks
Thanks for the heads up. I was smelling some coolant in the cab for a while, now it's gone but I know exactly where to look now!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
It is likely the turbo fitting as mentioned. Funny thing though. I have replaced about a dozen turbo fittings and only one radiator.
And funny you mention that Keith. I have replaced SEVERAL leaking radiators on these trucks and only ONE leaking turbo fitting, and I probably see far fewer trucks than you.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM
fski50
Junior User
RWC, how much coolant does it leak? Enough to drip on the floor? I saw a light coating of something on the bottom of my oil pan, and a little on transmission housing, but no drips. Figured that it was remnant of the coolant that spilled out when I installed engine block heater. I better check again to see if there's more now.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
I failed to mention in my post above, that the fumes/odor happened intermittently, and only noticeable when coming to a stop. I never experienced any dripping on the garage floor. Perhaps because whatever leaked burnt off on the engine - causing the fumes.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
And funny you mention that Keith. I have replaced SEVERAL leaking radiators on these trucks and only ONE leaking turbo fitting, and I probably see far fewer trucks than you.
That's the way it shakes out there Mike. Maybe your Canadian weather stresses the radiators more than here in NJ.

Originally Posted by Str8shooter
I failed to mention in my post above, that the fumes/odor happened intermittently, and only noticeable when coming to a stop. I never experienced any dripping on the garage floor. Perhaps because whatever leaked burnt off on the engine - causing the fumes.
Typically the leaking coolant is slow enough and in combination with the heat from the turbocharger it tends to evaporate quickly leaving a buildup of crust around the fitting. We have shared a few pictures on the DTS website and some leak long enough to create an impressive crusty formation. Eventually the leak gets progressively worse leaving a trail of dried coolant residue down the back of the engine and presenting a drip.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:49 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Coolant leaking on track bar

Originally Posted by Glittle
I had one leaking for two days last week appearing to leak from my primary water pump. I could smell it and I could see it leaking down onto the track bar. But it mysteriously stopped leaking. I'm sure it'll be back in time.
Did you ever have to replace the water pump? Reason I ask is because my heater in the cab stopped blowing warm/hot air today when idling or when I come to a stop. But while driving on the highway it worked fine. So when I got home I started searching here for causes and came across this thread. Coolant level in both reservoirs looked completely empty. The truck has never ran hot and when I got underneath I could see coolant running down the track bar, It looked like it was coming from somewhere around the lower hose housing on the drivers side. Not sure if that is where the water pump is on my truck or not. Is the water pump the best place to start in this case or should I be looking somewhere else.

Thanks
Jimmy

Old 01-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Glittle
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimmysb7377
Did you ever have to replace the water pump? Reason I ask is because my heater in the cab stopped blowing warm/hot air today when idling or when I come to a stop. But while driving on the highway it worked fine. So when I got home I started searching here for causes and came across this thread. Coolant level in both reservoirs looked completely empty. The truck has never ran hot and when I got underneath I could see coolant running down the track bar, It looked like it was coming from somewhere around the lower hose housing on the drivers side. Not sure if that is where the water pump is on my truck or not. Is the water pump the best place to start in this case or should I be looking somewhere else.

Thanks
Jimmy

Yessir, I had it replaced under the powertrain warranty at my local Ford Dealer. They had it in and out in a day. Mine was leaking at the same spot. It was dripping down onto the track bar. But, I never lost as much coolant as you. It was just a steady drip. I have also heard of people having hose failures, but not exactly sure where. I had my water pump replaced at approx. 40,000 miles.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Originally Posted by Glittle
Yessir, I had it replaced under the powertrain warranty at my local Ford Dealer. They had it in and out in a day. Mine was leaking at the same spot. It was dripping down onto the track bar. But, I never lost as much coolant as you. It was just a steady drip. I have also heard of people having hose failures, but not exactly sure where. I had my water pump replaced at approx. 40,000 miles.
I have a feeling its been going on a little while just never paid enough attention. Kept seeing a "little" damp spot every now and then under the truck but just blew it off as something else. Plus the weather has been so back and forth in SC. I haven't had much need for heat until this morning going duck hunting. I have a 2012 F250 Lariat 4x4 with about 87,000 miles on it. Just surprised that that temperature gauge never got out of range or no other indication of overheating. I kinda think it has something to do with the up and down weather temps this year. Mine is way out of warranty so I will be doing it myself if its not to bad to get to. Any idea on that?

Quick Reply: 6.7 Coolant Leaks