Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Cooper AT3......failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:34 PM
JJL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper AT3......failure

Well we will find out Monday what kind of company Cooper Tires is and how well they stand behind their products.

I have a 99 F250 Super Duty V10.....ALL STOCK. 29 months ago I purchased a set of 235/85R16E AT3's. Mileage is DOCUMENTED. Rotations are DOCUMENTED. Tires are REGISTERED. Alignments are DOCUMENTED.

I'm 52 years old and haven't done a burnout since High School. The tires have been on a daily commuter with minimal off road use. It's a 1999 with 125,000 miles on and it looks showroom new......almost.

The tires are rated for 55,000 mi........I've got 14,000 miles on them and they are down to 4/32...........NOT GOOD. I knew they were going fast, but not until I ran the numbers did I realize how fast. I came around a curve at 30 mph in light snow this morning and had to take the gravel shoulder to get control back. That got me running numbers and digging through records.

I have done my part.........Let's see if Cooper wants to stand up and do theirs..........Made with Pride in the USA............JUNK.

What do you think will happen? I've got 5 Cooper authorized dealers within 25 miles of me and I plan on seeing them all. Wish me luck.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Good luck!! I am running the Coopers also.....let us know how it goes.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
something ain't rite. if there is only 14k on them, they should get you a new set.
last week i took the 2014 F350 over to the tire shop for new tires. the AT-3's were wore out. the store owner asked what happened and was getting ready to put a free set of tires on it until he realized they had 49,000 miles on them.
and they were hard miles, the truck almost always had at least 1000 lbs in the bed.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM
JJL
New User
we'll find out tomorrow.

The only conclusion I have been able to come to is that the 235 does not have a big enough footprint to displace the weight of a full size truck. I know, people have been using them for years, however, most roads are built from local materials. IN a lot of places that means limestone, in the Rocky Mountains that means crushed GRANITE. Roads are like emery paper. The tires were in NO WAY ABUSED. They just wore
. F A S T . I am very good friends with my local dealer and we will give Cooper EVERY chance to make this right. I just don't know if I have the confidence to put another Cooper product on my truck.

We'll keep you posted.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i do not use the 235, i upgraded all my trucks to 285's, and the 2015 has oversize tires on it also.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 AM
JJL
New User
What wheel width do you have the 285'S on? With stock 7" wheels warranty is void on the 285 size which are recommended for a 7.5 wheel and up. The companies are pretty good at CYA. If they can get out of something they will.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by JJL
Well we will find out Monday what kind of company Cooper Tires is and how well they stand behind their products.

I have a 99 F250 Super Duty V10.....ALL STOCK. 29 months ago I purchased a set of 235/85R16E AT3's. Mileage is DOCUMENTED. Rotations are DOCUMENTED. Tires are REGISTERED. Alignments are DOCUMENTED.

I'm 52 years old and haven't done a burnout since High School. The tires have been on a daily commuter with minimal off road use. It's a 1999 with 125,000 miles on and it looks showroom new......almost.

The tires are rated for 55,000 mi........I've got 14,000 miles on them and they are down to 4/32...........NOT GOOD. I knew they were going fast, but not until I ran the numbers did I realize how fast. I came around a curve at 30 mph in light snow this morning and had to take the gravel shoulder to get control back. That got me running numbers and digging through records.

I have done my part.........Let's see if Cooper wants to stand up and do theirs..........Made with Pride in the USA............JUNK.

What do you think will happen? I've got 5 Cooper authorized dealers within 25 miles of me and I plan on seeing them all. Wish me luck.
Why do you even think you have a chance when you posted back in Februrary that the dealer wasn't standing behind the tire and neither was Cooper. Something is wrong with 14k miles and that much wear that I will agree with.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 AM
JJL
New User
Because I now have the documentation and paper work to go with my argument. Receipts and papers showing mileage when purchased, rotations when serviced, and an alignment done due to an accident (hit an Elk) midlife of the tires. Before when I spoke with the dealer I really had no idea how many miles I had on the set, now that I do, it's a whole new ball game.

It's nice being married to an accountant who keeps all of that stuff.

The tires are shot at 14,000 miles and I can prove it's not my fault. That changes things. They are wearing perfect.......just abnormally fast.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
When I drove 20 + miles of gravel roads each day , No tire would hold up too long .
Did I read your post correctly , granite and limestone roads ?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Geez please post up results as I just put a pair of 285`s on my Exc last week. Good luck

Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by JJL
What wheel width do you have the 285'S on? With stock 7" wheels warranty is void on the 285 size which are recommended for a 7.5 wheel and up. The companies are pretty good at CYA. If they can get out of something they will.
stock aluminum wheels that came with the 02 F350

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM
JJL
New User
############### U P D A T E ###############

Went this morning and seen 4 Cooper Tire Dealers............

1st...... Your Truck is GREEN.........We don't make adjustments on GREEN trucks.

2nd..... The Boss isn't around DUDE...........he doesn't like doing that kind of stuff so I'd have to say probably not..........you got any weed? Is it almost time for lunch? You like my tattoo's?

3rd...... This invoice shows that you made the original purchase on a Tuesday.............probably not covered. Sales rep might stop by next week............If I remember I'll mention it to him.

Do you see a trend starting here?......................

4th and final stop.......Big O Tires.............

Young Mexican fella waited on me. He's been working there for several years and is a Hard Core Service Guy who has managed to climb up the ladder into sales/management. I told him the story.......Showed him the paperwork..........showed him the tires............Went for a quick ride. Got back to the store and within 15 minutes I had an adjustment on file and a new set of Michelins on order.

I have bought 5 other sets of tires at this store and they know me. For what ever reason I got the AT3's at a local mom and pop shop.................never again. Lesson learned. You can save a few bucks at times but, when service matters..........Big Name Stores still have it.

Cooper Tires stood up for their product today..................I still think their tires are crap...........but the service was fine......once we talked to Pedro.........his name really is Pedro..... My new tire guy!!!!!

Bottom Line......................

14/32's worth of tread in 14,000 miles out of an old fart like me should never happen. Maybe I just got a bad set...........I doubt it. I really have to question the quality of Cooper Products..........But, for now, I'm a Michelin Man AGAIN. If it ain't broke don't fix it..... and........ you get what you pay for..............usually.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 PM
JJL
New User

All Good........<br/><br/>285/75 r16 Michelin LTX AT2<br/><br/>Cooper prorated the AT3 ' to 72%. No hard feelings towards Cooper. However these Michelins are AMAZING. Solid, track straight, corner well, and are as smooth as glass. It'll be a while before I put anything else on.......

Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
I just took off my Toyo M/T and replaced them with the Copper Discoverer ST MAXX. I hope they do well because they ride so quite and smooth.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
So far the Coops have been fine, I think you had a bad batch. Sent for my $70 rebate today

Quick Reply: Cooper AT3......failure