General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which replacement truck for towing should i be considering to replace my stolen f250 6l

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:08 PM
nance459
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which replacement truck for towing should i be considering to replace my stolen f250 6l

Hi all , some of you might recognize me from th 6.0 forum. Unfortunately, after bulletproofing ours it was stolen last week, this is 10 days now, don't think it will be found so we are trying to decide on new used truck. We were wondering if it is better to look for 7.3 , another 6.0, or 6.4. We already know the issues with the 6.0, believe the 7.3 had stronger engine and tranny might need to be upgraded, don't know much about the 6.4. We will be towing, and hope to be able to tow something larger than our 25' fifth wheel ultimately, maybe a 30' one and since we go out of the way and steep roads need reliable truck.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it ultimately depends on how much you want (or need) to spend.

If you are thinking of hauling a 30' then maybe a duallie would be a better size. As for which motor my first choice would be the 6.7 then the 6.0..

Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nance459
Hi all , some of you might recognize me from th 6.0 forum. Unfortunately, after bulletproofing ours it was stolen last week, this is 10 days now, don't think it will be found so we are trying to decide on new used truck. We were wondering if it is better to look for 7.3 , another 6.0, or 6.4. We already know the issues with the 6.0, believe the 7.3 had stronger engine and tranny might need to be upgraded, don't know much about the 6.4. We will be towing, and hope to be able to tow something larger than our 25' fifth wheel ultimately, maybe a 30' one and since we go out of the way and steep roads need reliable truck.

I have not used the 6.0L, the 6.4L, or the 6.7L so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.... but here goes...

I bought a 7.3L.... I am all about reliability... You will pay a premium for a good one though, I didn't check where you lived but finding rust free is getting real hard now adays....

6.0L - you said you knew the issues, I wouldn't buy one...
6.4L - I was hearing that every 80,000 miles or so you need a new exhaust at around $8,000... That and I believe this was fords first attempt at DEF... any new product and I tend to shy away....

6.7L I have heard nothing but good things... I am sure all vehicles have their little issues... but so far this one sounds to be as strong as the 7.3L...

Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lee00
6.4L - I was hearing that every 80,000 miles or so you need a new exhaust at around $8,000... That and I believe this was fords first attempt at DEF... any new product and I tend to shy away....

6.7L I have heard nothing but good things... I am sure all vehicles have their little issues... but so far this one sounds to be as strong as the 7.3L...
No.
The 6.4 doesn't use DEF, the 6.7 uses DEF.
The 6.4 and 6.7 use a DPF, but the 6.7 adds the DEF system on top.

The 6.4 and 6.7 are both common rail diesels, but stock, the 6.7 has a more refined emissions system. More complex with the DEF, but stock, it runs better than a 6.4.
The 6.4 exhaust does not cost 8000$, you can find them for sale all the time for a few hundred bucks. And they can last a pretty long time too.

The 6.4 is a stronger engine with a tuner than the 6.7, 6.0, or pretty much anything really.

As far as buying a truck, I think it depends what you find, and what kind of deal you can get. Heck, I wouldn't be scared to buy a 6.0 with a bum motor, for the right price, especially if the body is in great condition.
IMHO 7.3's are just not worth the premium any more. Yes, they are a reliable truck, but most are rusty, or close to rusting, and for what they go for, a pretty well built 6.0 can be had, with the nicer transmission, better ride, etc.
Sure the 6.0 trucks can have issues, but so many of those trucks are around, it's easy to figure out and get parts.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the 6.4's do not like short trips or daily driving with the emissions system on them. They only seem to like wide open highway pretty much. So I would only buy one if you can buy the tuner and exhaust deletes.

The 7.3 & 6.0 are easier to work on than the 6.4 and 6.7, and will cost less to repair if something goes wrong.
The 6.4 and 6.7 use common rail injection, so if an injector gets fouled, it can stick open, and destroy the engine if it gets bad and runs long enough.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 AM
nance459
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
No.
The 6.4 doesn't use DEF, the 6.7 uses DEF.
The 6.4 and 6.7 use a DPF, but the 6.7 adds the DEF system on top.

The 6.4 and 6.7 are both common rail diesels, but stock, the 6.7 has a more refined emissions system. More complex with the DEF, but stock, it runs better than a 6.4.
The 6.4 exhaust does not cost 8000$, you can find them for sale all the time for a few hundred bucks. And they can last a pretty long time too.

The 6.4 is a stronger engine with a tuner than the 6.7, 6.0, or pretty much anything really.

As far as buying a truck, I think it depends what you find, and what kind of deal you can get. Heck, I wouldn't be scared to buy a 6.0 with a bum motor, for the right price, especially if the body is in great condition.
IMHO 7.3's are just not worth the premium any more. Yes, they are a reliable truck, but most are rusty, or close to rusting, and for what they go for, a pretty well built 6.0 can be had, with the nicer transmission, better ride, etc.
Sure the 6.0 trucks can have issues, but so many of those trucks are around, it's easy to figure out and get parts.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the 6.4's do not like short trips or daily driving with the emissions system on them. They only seem to like wide open highway pretty much. So I would only buy one if you can buy the tuner and exhaust deletes.

The 7.3 & 6.0 are easier to work on than the 6.4 and 6.7, and will cost less to repair if something goes wrong.
The 6.4 and 6.7 use common rail injection, so if an injector gets fouled, it can stick open, and destroy the engine if it gets bad and runs long enough.
Great info, thanks.