Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Mechanic engine builder ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel Mechanic engine builder ?

Would it have been possible when they designed and built these engines to have designed it to where you had all the injectors and electrics on top of the valve cover and had a cover over that so all the electronics and injectors were separate from the valve operation ?

It is a real cool motor but over my ability to fix, thanks for any input. Just curious because I would not own one long term because of this.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What's the fun in that? Seriously, this engine shares its design with other models in its "family". They share like, or similar parts, making tooling them easier. While it would be possible to do so, the design/tooling processes associated with the changes would not make them cost effective. The engineers never seem to have the mechanic/end user in mind when they design and build machines. Years of twisting wrenches has taught me that. The old saying applies. " If it was that easy, anyone could do it."

Old 04-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure it would be possible, but probably not practical. Since the injectors are hydraulically operated, the most logical place for them is under the valve covers so the oil that's exhausted from them can return directly to the crankcase. To make them accessible from outside the valve covers would involve a whole lot more seals and gaskets; each of those introducing another possible external leak. Imagine the mess if the top o-ring on an injector failed . . .

Old 04-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
What would have been awesome would have been if they made a screw in injector that you screwed in by hand to the valve cover that was shaped like a golf tee. Have it set up to where the shaft still operates under oil pressure to fire and the top of the tee is out side the motor operation area.

Just add some good sealing areas to the valve cover for this set up and the motor would have been way more golden for the back yard mechanic. I would not own one long term because of this, it would be way way better designed like this. Computers add enough more nuisance then you factor in that BS with how hard it is to change the injectors and I will steer clear..

Old 04-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It isn't that difficult, really. It isn't like the cab has to come off or anything.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I watched a video and he was saying the same thing but I looked at what he did and I was like that is a real pain. The injectors can just fail out of the blue on these motors. If they would had made it serviceable from outside the engine that would have been much much better. I do not like mixing my electrics n wires in the inside of the motor. When I was watching him change the injector I was like it would be so easy to lose a screw in there or drop a bolt in the motor.

So you lose one injector,what could be a easy job is a total chore. I think they did this on purpose on the new trucks so you need the dealer and mechanics.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
One of these things designed correctly could be so much better than a mechanical to where you would be able to fix it yourself on the side of the road just like a IDI but even easier but they did what they did so you would not be able to do that.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
If I am wrong on this somebody tell me where, what they could have done was had 4 holes in each valve cover then had the injector itself designed to where it has a back plate on the back of it that plugs in and bolts to the valve cover securing it into position.

You would have the power plug on the outside on the back of the injector plate and do a simple glow plug arrangement in a similar way.

These motors could be so cool but they f them up for obvious reasons like pick your pocket.