1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

New owner, host of issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:30 AM
davbeisner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New owner, host of issues

So I've been around here for a while now, over on the 6.0 Diesel forum. Unfortunately I now live in the metropolis and no longer have an excuse to drive the fuel guzzling 6.0, so last week I bought an '05 Expedition off a repo lot. I bought it knowing it had issues, planning to fix most of them myself.

Quick off the top, here's what I got: 2005 Expedition, 163k miles, Eddie Bauer edition, 4x4 (including the Auto 4x4 which is something I've never seen on Ford before), kicked up quite a few notches by the previous owner in terms of multimedia systems and infrared backup cameras.

Quick list of issues that I know exist:
  • Cylinder 2 misfire
  • Front AC only blows on High
  • Rear AC has a clicking sound from right rear corner panel (seen this one one other one I test drove as well, so may be a common issue?)
  • Taillights work off and on (electrical issue somewhere)
  • Reverse lights don't work at all (may be the same electrical issue)
  • When I put it in reverse, sometimes the backup camera kicks on and sometimes it doesn't (also likely an electrical issue)
  • Tire pressure sensor warning comes on (not sure yet if that's due to actual pressor or if there's a problem with the sensor)
  • In-roof DVD system no longer connected to the sound system in the truck due to swap of head unit for high end DVD/Nav system
  • Steering wheel audio controls not connected to after market head unit
  • Needs resurfaced rotors (going to just get the brakes done by Midas for the lifetime warranty)

So, a nice little list, but hopefully all fairly minor, inexpensive items to fix. When I test drove it I was initially very concerned by the cylinder 2 misfire (having owned nothing but diesels for the last few years, and knowing that an injector replacement can run upwards of $1k) but on doing some quick Google searching, discovered that it is likely as easy as a $5 plug swap, and perhaps plug wires.

So, I plan to swap all 8 plugs and all 8 wires today. Any tips or tricks for that?

My two biggest concerns are figuring out the electrical issue with the taillights as it's neither safe nor do I want a ticket, and the HVAC blower motor only working on high.

Does anyone have any tips on either of these items?

Thanks all!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the rear AC clicking:

There's no plug wires, it has a Coil On Plug set up with 1 coil per cylinder, there's a rubber boot and a spring between the coils and the plug, sometimes these may deteriorate and require replacement but usually the coils themselves hold up pretty well unless they get wet and starts to corrode. Replace plugs and inspect the coil boots, and you should be set. Injectors are usually around 20-30 dollars per piece, but they rarely go bad. It's only if there's dirt in the fuel and the fuel filter is not replaced or replaced with a cheap aftermarket one that doesn't work.

Changing plugs can be a challenge, be prepared to buy the Lisle extractor tool in case one or more breaks:

Removal:

If one breaks:

For the HVAC blower, it might be a relay, the controller itself or the motor resistor. You'll have to diagnose that in order to find out why it only runs at full blast. It's usually the resistor, but it's impossible to know for sure without diagnosing it.

For Explorer:

3rd gen Expedition:

For the taillights, it might be the taillight switch on the brake pedal, start inspecting that one first.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:12 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by davbeisner
Quick list of issues that I know exist:
  • Cylinder 2 misfire
  • Front AC only blows on High
  • Rear AC has a clicking sound from right rear corner panel (seen this one one other one I test drove as well, so may be a common issue?)
  • Taillights work off and on (electrical issue somewhere)
  • Reverse lights don't work at all (may be the same electrical issue)
  • When I put it in reverse, sometimes the backup camera kicks on and sometimes it doesn't (also likely an electrical issue)
  • Tire pressure sensor warning comes on (not sure yet if that's due to actual pressor or if there's a problem with the sensor)
  • In-roof DVD system no longer connected to the sound system in the truck due to swap of head unit for high end DVD/Nav system
  • Steering wheel audio controls not connected to after market head unit
  • Needs resurfaced rotors (going to just get the brakes done by Midas for the lifetime warranty)
Whoa, lets slow it down a bit. Asking for answers to that many issues in one thread will bring nothing but a bunch of confusion as different people try to answer different problems.

-Misfires on these vehicles are typically the result of a COP boot gone bad for that cylinder.
-For the front blower I'm sure it's just the blower speed resistor.
-For the rear A/C the blend door motor assembly has a plastic gear that tends to strip and cause the clicking noise.

I'll end it there and see what others come up with. You should take the unanswered issues and start a second thread with them.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, thanks for all the tips guys! Those videos are helpful for sure.