6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford IDS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
southwindva
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got up to drop off the 55 f100 to my son in PA. Will post later tonight or in the AM.I am done with that guy.

On a brighter note......

Old 05-02-2015, 06:31 AM
southwindva
Junior User
Just spent 2 hours typing up a detailed record of events and lost it all when I previewed it . Major nut buster when you type slow. Will try again when I cool down.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by southwindva
Just got up to drop off the 55 f100 to my son in PA. Will post later tonight or in the AM.I am done with that guy.

On a brighter note......
That is a SWEET truck! I love it.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 PM
southwindva
Junior User
Ok, here we go again. After repeated attempts to resolve this issue I am done dealing with this seller. His name is Dustin Nikituk and he has a site on eBay called Dealership Closeouts. He buys diagnostic equipment from dealerships and resells on eBay as well as the internet. He is a one man operation and subs out tech info and has a remote answering service that takes calls. If you have followed this thread you have an idea of what has happened. (see post #21).

Anyway, October of 2014 I found Dealership Closeouts on eBay and saw a IDS dealer package. Dustin pulled it off the auction and sold it to me for $1400. He threw in a 3 month license so I could flash if I wanted to. At that point, I just stated I wanted a diagnostic only capable unit since I am only working on my ’06 F350 6.0. I received it and used it twice in October. It worked fine. I did call Dustin because I could not cycle my turbo VGT. I called him about the VMM that may be needed. He said “no” and the VMM was not popular. I worked on other projects for my son over the winter and in March I hooked up the IDS to check a TBC fault. I could not get IDS on the screen. I called Dustin and he said the license “ran out and you lose everything—even basic diagnostics”. This was not mentioned to me back in October when I bought it. So he said to call at the end of the day and he would download an IDS version that would be diagnostic only. I called and he tried to download on “Team 9” —it was taking too long. So he said to send the laptop (only) back for the download. I sent everything back just in case for testing. He sent the unit back with version VER 75.00 installed and missing the Team 9 icon on the desktop. This update cost me $150. It came back April 2nd two hours after I left to see the kids in PA at Easter. I came home just as my EGR cooler split. I knew I had issues in PA and started looking at new trucks. I ended up buying a 2015 F450 CC in Ohio. I finished repairing the ’06 engine on Friday April 17th. So I put the IDS on to check parameters. It would not work. That is where this thread starts.

Now I called Dustin and explained the problem. He gives me a phone number for a tech named Ray. Ray is a good guy and also has a diagnostic sales called Dealer Scantool. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Ray to no avail. I could not get a hold of Dustin when I called Monday, April 19th. Three days after leaving messages and no call back. Finally, I called Friday April 24th at 3pm and Dustin answers and he says he has been in Europe (wouldn’t you state that you were not going be available for a week with the answering service??). When I called, he is just getting in the car at the airport and I asked him to call me in the morning. He calls in the late afternoon.

I come right out and tell him I want to return this for a refund of $1300. Now I have $1550 wrapped up in this. He says he cannot refund. I state his site states that Dealership Closeouts does give refunds. He then says “let me think about it”. I said “Let’s decide now due to all the lost time”. He says “no, he will call me the next day”. He calls late and says “I can do one of two things…I will sell you an $800 license or take the unit back for $1100” (That $800 license he was going to sell me is normally $699). I said I would compromise at $1200 and he agrees.

I then ask him to please email me a confirmation of this and he told me he would. He wanted my email address which I immediately provided. This is was happening on Wednesday at 330pm. At 6:16pm I text back and ask if he received my email address. At 8:59pm he responds “yes”. On Thursday morning I check my email and there was nothing from Dustin. So I text again at 7:48am “looking for email confirmation before I can ship IDS back”. At 12:39pm I text again and he responds “yes, ship whenever”. I text back “are you emailing me what we finalized yesterday?” He texts back “when you get to it am@chryslerdealer what’s up?” I text back “call me or read my messages”. He texts back “just send back”. I respond “I need an email confirmation of $1200 refund. You were going to do that yesterday”. He texts back “yes, yes, yes, yes”.

Well, its been 48 hours and no response from Dustin. So now I text one last time that I am done with his games and will not return this IDS without email confirmation.

So today, I am here to let everyone on FTE know what kind of operation Dealership Closeouts runs. If you want rotten customer service, little or not return calls and unfulfilled promises Dustin at Dealership Closeouts is your place for diagnostic equipment.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:13 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry you had so much trouble with this. The main reason I just do not purchase on line unless it is a national vendor.

Too often if there are problems you have to jump thru hoops for any resoloution.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Man, the Chinese ebay $189 version sure does look better. Atleast it works!
Sorry for your problems. I don't know if I personally would blame him for you not knowing you need a subscription for $699 a year to keep the system operating.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:25 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
I used to have IDS and VCM1 and you had to buy the licsense yearly no provision for monthly. So I went to the Rotunda web site to see what changed.
That shure doesn't look like the website I used to go to. Also it kept telling me my log in info was no good. I never logged in the first time. LOL

You didn't used to have to create an account just to look at what they offered.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 AM
southwindva
Junior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Man, the Chinese ebay $189 version sure does look better. Atleast it works!
Sorry for your problems. I don't know if I personally would blame him for you not knowing you need a subscription for $699 a year to keep the system operating.
Dustin was the one who told me I could use IDS without a licence for what I wanted to do. Just diagnostics .He was the one who offered the 3 month licence.
He also should have told me I would lose everything at the end of the 3 months.
But then he would have lost the $150. to get me back up. [THAT TURNED OUT GOOD].
How about the $800. licence offer [$699.to everyone else]

Old 05-03-2015, 03:04 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by southwindva
Dustin was the one who told me I could use IDS without a licence for what I wanted to do. Just diagnostics .He was the one who offered the 3 month licence.
He also should have told me I would lose everything at the end of the 3 months.
But then he would have lost the $150. to get me back up. [THAT TURNED OUT GOOD].
How about the $800. licence offer [$699.to everyone else]
Don't get me wrong, he sounds like a swindler. Especially the licensing cost.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Why not call Rotunda and talk to there licensing people and
see if he is crossing the line and then let him know that if he
does not refund 100% and give you a statement to that fact.
You will let Rotunda know what he is up to.

Sean

Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Why not call Rotunda and talk to there licensing people and
see if he is crossing the line and then let him know that if he
does not refund 100% and give you a statement to that fact.
You will let Rotunda know what he is up to.

Sean
Isn't there laws against that.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well then just report him to Rotunda.
The guy has always looked fishy to me.
He has done some things on Ebay that has gotten
him reported to Ebay and he is no longer doing that.
But he does seem to be a snake.

Why should it cost $95 to ship a laptop and VCM.
Excessive shipping charges is one thought.

Sean

Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Isn't there laws against that.
I think we may be in a grey area there. As long as they sell it as a Ford product and make no claims otherwise as a 3rd party seller they could charge for their time and effort. Cover their expenses but not shure how far that could be carried.

Like I say a grey area.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:29 AM
southwindva
Junior User
I will contact EBAY and Rotunda .Was checking out some EBAY rules about pulling current auction items and selling them outside of EBAY and excessive shipping charges. I will contact them. Never sold thru them ,but I have the best rating as a buyer. Never thought about Rutunda. DealerShipCloseOuts is not a member of the BBB in Blaine MN. either but will contact them too.
DealershipCloseOuts web site is slick , however you never see or get individual info on the people[person] that make up the Company.
I am in a situation where after Dustin finally agreed to the $1,200. refund to send back, but will not back it up w/ documentation.. He kept saying ''just send'
I'm sorry ,but at this point I don't trust the guy to hand my IDS over and end up getting $250. back for whatever he comes up with as an excuse.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 AM
southwindva
Junior User
A little info about me that helps put this in perspective.
I grew up and became a partner with my brother running a Heavy Equipment Earth Moving construction company in SE PA. My Father started the business after the war in 1947. We grew to well over 140 pieces of major equipment before I retired in '08 after 38 years of maintaining the equipment side of the business.
During those years we did screw things up from time to time . We also made it right when we did. Our core value was to treat the customer right . Thats what gave us a good reputation.

Quick Reply: Ford IDS Problem