Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Looking at a 1990 F350/7.3

Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking at a 1990 F350/7.3

As the title states, I am looking at a 1990 F350 dump truck, with a 7.3idi, aftermarket turbo, with a 5 speed.
1990 F350 diesel dually dump truck

Thoughts? In conversing with the owner, who is a mechanic, it sounds like the truck is in good, workable shape, inspected and current, with the only issues being no A/C or cruise.
I am looking for helpful input on the 7.3idi. I've got some experience with the 7.3 PS, and I've owned a 94 Dodge/cummins. Anything unique to the idi to look for/ask about? What about the turbo? Is that a reliable setup?
I appreciate any input from your experiences.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
check the coolant with SCA strips.
hypermax turbos arnt bad, kinda of a quirky set up, but they work well
if you have experience with the PSD, the IDI's are wayyyy simpler. no computer!
just fuel, heat, and compression.
the biggest thing people gripe about is air intrusion, which is easily fixed with some time and a little bit of cash.
just as a PSD, never use anything other than motorcraft parts.

i have a 94 7.3 with a OEM 093 turbo, 105 cc injection pump, and a matched set of injectors. EMPTY, i can hang with a stock tuned 02 7.3.
they are super fun compared to a PSD, IMO

Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
MtTheJeffro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, told ya

Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MtTheJeffro
See, told ya
When you're right, you're right.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Coutu
Senior User
For $6000 it has to be MINT IMO

Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Coutu
For $6000 it has to be MINT IMO
It's a dump truck, not a show truck. Mechanically solid with life left in it is how I am judging the value- either it is a money maker, or it isn't.

I have been searching for some time, and either the price is lower than this and needs work (some need extensive work), or it's higher (or MUCH higher), and still has mileage and wear on it. To add to things, there aren't many small dump trucks for sale in VA. PA and NC have a bigger selection, with prices in this range. What I have found in VA are more expensive. For example, an out of state (but advertised in a local paper) 97 F350 with similar mileage, for $13,000. It only has an 8 foot steel bed, where this one is a 10 foot aluminum. So, comparing the two, I believe that the 1990 model may be a better value.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Coutu
Senior User
Originally Posted by hodge5
It's a dump truck, not a show truck. Mechanically solid with life left in it is how I am judging the value- either it is a money maker, or it isn't.

I have been searching for some time, and either the price is lower than this and needs work (some need extensive work), or it's higher (or MUCH higher), and still has mileage and wear on it. To add to things, there aren't many small dump trucks for sale in VA. PA and NC have a bigger selection, with prices in this range. What I have found in VA are more expensive. For example, an out of state (but advertised in a local paper) 97 F350 with similar mileage, for $13,000. It only has an 8 foot steel bed, where this one is a 10 foot aluminum. So, comparing the two, I believe that the 1990 model may be a better value.
I understand it's not a show truck, most of these trucks have been abused and tossed around a good bit, I know, but for 6k it's pushing it for me. I'd have to see more pics to really give my opinion, but I'm assuming there's a good bit of rust, some things need replacing, etc.Each to his own I guess, and it's your money; spend it as you wish. As far as the 97 for $13,000, they're dreaming. That said, yes the 90' is the best for the money. Plus they look nicer

Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Coutu
I understand it's not a show truck, most of these trucks have been abused and tossed around a good bit, I know, but for 6k it's pushing it for me. I'd have to see more pics to really give my opinion, but I'm assuming there's a good bit of rust, some things need replacing, etc.Each to his own I guess, and it's your money; spend it as you wish. As far as the 97 for $13,000, they're dreaming. That said, yes the 90' is the best for the money. Plus they look nicer
I've seen photos, and communicated pretty extensively with the owner. He is a mechanic by trade, and has kept the truck well maintained. Of course, I am taking his word at this point. The engine and transmission are solid, as well as the transfercase and axles. I asked specifically about rust- cab corners, floors, quarter panels, all solid. Again, I'm taking his word. The frame is solid, too. He uses the truck for his personal use, hauling firewood, mulch, gravel. It may have been used commercially in the past, but not by him. I asked specifically if the truck is solid and ready to work, or if anything needs some attention. He assures me that it is good to go, and the inspection is current. At this point, all that I have to go on is his word; it is enough to make a 3 hour trip to see and likely buy it.
His lowest price is $5500, which is fair, in my estimation.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Coutu
Senior User
I've seen photos, and communicated pretty extensively with the owner. He is a mechanic by trade, and has kept the truck well maintained. Of course, I am taking his word at this point. The engine and transmission are solid, as well as the transfercase and axles. I asked specifically about rust- cab corners, floors, quarter panels, all solid. Again, I'm taking his word. The frame is solid, too. He uses the truck for his personal use, hauling firewood, mulch, gravel. It may have been used commercially in the past, but not by him. I asked specifically if the truck is solid and ready to work, or if anything needs some attention. He assures me that it is good to go, and the inspection is current. At this point, all that I have to go on is his word; it is enough to make a 3 hour trip to see and likely buy it.
His lowest price is $5500, which is fair, in my estimation.
Sounds good to me. Let us know what happens, and post some more pics if/when you get the chance.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
I wouldn't hessitate to pay $5.5k for that if it checks out as the seller states. The A/C not working is a potential bummer depending on your personal preferences, and the cruise should be a cheap fix. I'd love to have a dump truck like that, but I really don't have any need for one right now. But I still want one...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
The seller may have sold it out from under us. We have been communicating daily. I expressed that I understood if someone else came along before we committed, but I communicated yesterday that we were 99% sure we would take it, and when would be an agreeable time to come up. I also offered to send a deposit, from the beginning. I emailed early today that we would take it, and now (this evening), he is saying that someone else may want it. I'm a little put out, but it is what it is. If he isn't willing to deal honorably- tell me that someone else is looking seriously, so that we can commit or not- maybe it's best not to do business with him.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
that one (like all things in life i suppose) has another side of the coin to it.
as you know,whenever you have something for sale,you get 99 tire kickers and talkers and 1 buyer.you may very well be different but hows he to know? to him,you just blend in with the rest of them.the one who stands out,will be the one to stand in front of him with a wad of cash.
so people especially on CL grow tired of people talking the talk and just want someone to hand over the cash.
cash in hand,is cash in hand.many people have waited for others to show up on a promise,but don't and passed by people who stopped with cash in hand and end up losing both.
you know the saying.cash talks.......
iv got a feeling he didn't sell the truck.he just wants to encourage you to do a little less talking,and lot more handing him some green.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that one (like all things in life i suppose) has another side of the coin to it.
as you know,whenever you have something for sale,you get 99 tire kickers and talkers and 1 buyer.you may very well be different but hows he to know? to him,you just blend in with the rest of them.the one who stands out,will be the one to stand in front of him with a wad of cash.
so people especially on CL grow tired of people talking the talk and just want someone to hand over the cash.
cash in hand,is cash in hand.many people have waited for others to show up on a promise,but don't and passed by people who stopped with cash in hand and end up losing both.
you know the saying.cash talks.......
iv got a feeling he didn't sell the truck.he just wants to encourage you to do a little less talking,and lot more handing him some green.
I realize that side of the coin.
If a person is going to sell on Craigslist, they have to accept some of that. It is the nature of the situation. I'm not making excuses for it; I'm referring to distance buyers. I can't go kick the tires, because it's 3 hours away. I need to ask questions, build a relationship with the seller, generate trust on both ends before committing to sending a deposit or driving the distance. The seller must endure some tire kicking, since many buyers can't come see the truck in person. Otherwise, don't sell it on Craigslist.
From day one, I've offered to send a deposit upon us committing to purchase, and I offered to send it paypal or money order, to protect him. He stated that he didn't do paypal, and he didn't know how a money order worked. He also stated that it would have to be a non-refundable deposit.

We have communicated daily, and I had commited to buying the truck, as well as sending a deposit. At that point, he informed me that a neighbor may be looking at it, and may buy it.

I don't know how else to manage a sales deal through Craigslist. He must trust our intentions by me verbally committing to purchase, and by sending a deposit that I can't pull back; and I need assurances that I can trust him that when we get there, the truck will still be there, much less as described. It is a fragile process, and the egg carton got dropped when he informed me that although I had committed to buying, that he was still showing the truck.

Another ingredient is timing- he isn't available until next Saturday for us to come get it, yet it is first come, first serve.

We are still communicating, so hopefully all is not lost. The truck fits our needs well, so I hope it works out. If not, I'll keep looking.
Mark

Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Update- we are on the same page now, and he is willing to hold the truck for us (I will send a returnable deposit, if the truck isn't as described). We will go up next weekend, check things over, and trailer it home. I will post photos- I know that we all like photos.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Coutu
Senior User
Update- we are on the same page now, and he is willing to hold the truck for us (I will send a returnable deposit, if the truck isn't as described). We will go up next weekend, check things over, and trailer it home. I will post photos- I know that we all like photos.
Good luck and glad it all worked out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a 1990 F350/7.3