Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stock FIPW

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
PQH350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry it took a while to get back on here. Thank you all for the replies.

Originally Posted by Pocket
With over 4 ms of FIPW easily on tap, you won't be towing that heavy without keeping a very close eye on the EGT gauge.... if you have one.

Did you check everywhere in the truck to see if there's a programmer tucked away somewhere? So many times I've seen used trucks that have a tuner, and you can find the programmer under a seat somewhere or stashed away in a bin behind the rear seat.

If you find the programmer, then you can reflash it back to stock in just a few minutes.

If not... then double check for anything else plugged into the PCM and/or DLC.
Thank you. That is what my cousin says and we have looked for the tuner and can't find it. Trying to get in touch with the PO.

You would have recognized it if you seen one. It would have been one smokey SOB that ran like a dog turd mounted to a set of wheels. And it wouldn't have been due to a boost/exhaust leak. More like a failing or extremely week HPOP.
It smokes a little. We are testing for a boost leak.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM
PQH350
Junior User
Originally Posted by whitetmw
At WOT, loaded (Truck + 8,800 lbs.) you will see upwards of 5-6 ms.

Its important to realize the FIPW is present in all three Stages of Injection: Fill (poppet valve is closed). Injection,: The IDM sends an electric pulse to the injector solenoid. And, End of Injection (a reversal of the second stage).

If you have between say 40 and 70 psig fuel pressure (WOT), HPOP around 2100 - 2300 (2,500 on a new unit) you shouldn't be seeing anything higher than 6 ms and nothing lower than 1 ms at idle around 500. This is how the timing of events occurs. Remember the HPOP is VOLUME not pressure purse. The pressure is less important that the volume when considering that Oil, Fuel, and Pulse must be delivered at the right pressure, right pule, and right volume.

Anything outside those values will usually make the thing a slug and oftem sound like you re going to see push rods shoot through the hood. Also, some other symptoms are smoke (O-Rings can't take it), idle like crap (wear in HPO System), etc. Exceeding the FIPW will reek havoc on your HPO System and all its components.

There are some excellent points mentioned. To address just one, What You See is NOT always what you get looking at a Scan Tool with a MOTIFIED program unless the proper parameters are selected. Unfortunately, if you don't know what's been dome, one really doesn't know what to look for, just a helpful hint I learned learning the dyno. It takes numerous runs to average what's really going on. You need things like a scope capable of capturing data at 20-100ms to see the "Big" picture

Suggest you find someone with a J2534 protocol pass-through device and you can read the program access date to see if its been messed with. You may just wish to re-flash the PCM to the latest factory stock tune which is a $25.00 download using the J2534.

So does that mean that my FIPW is low because it don't go above 4.6 ever?

HPOP puts out about 2800 and will hold it until I get going to fast and let off.

Based on what I was told by him I thought that without high pressure all of the volume the HPOP can produce is useless since pressure is what gets the fuel in the cylinders fast enough for the timing at various speeds.

He also says that 5-6ms is way too long because of the small window that the injector has to get the fuel in based upon rpm's above a certain amount of RPM's.

He did the math.

Exceeding ?what? amount will wreak havoc? 6ms? or 3?

How much is too much HPOP pressure?

Thank you for the PCM program information. He can flash the pCM for me.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 PM
PQH350
Junior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Curtis,

Give up now man. I thought about posting last night but I realized that it would be all for naught.

You won't win. It's like the "now I understand the dyno" guy from a few months ago.

-Cody
After reading the two post above this one I am about as confused as a male dog in a round room looking for a corner.

If you understand could you please give me some advice and explain this?

If this was meant for me it is not ALL FOR NAUGHT.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by PQH350
After reading the two post above this one I am about as confused as a male dog in a round room looking for a corner.

No, it was not meant against you.

It was due to the fact that we've got a guy in our midst that needs to get back in his lube bay pit and quit pestering the real technicians in the shop.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
To answer a question I read here - 3 ms max FIPW and 3000 max ICP for optimum performance and reliability.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It smokes a little. We are testing for a boost leak.
You have a tune, so a little smoke is going to be present.

However, with a new to you truck it doesn't hurt to give it a good once over and check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks.

So does that mean that my FIPW is low because it don't go above 4.6 ever?
No, going over 4ms is high. It also means you have a tune on there.

Based on what I was told by him I thought that without high pressure all of the volume the HPOP can produce is useless since pressure is what gets the fuel in the cylinders fast enough for the timing at various speeds.
If you're able to hold 2800 psi, then you're doing fine. Stock calibrations call for 2700-2800 psi. Most tunes that you get in the aftermarket (whether tow tunes or performance) call for upwards of 3000 psi or even more in some cases.

He also says that 5-6ms is way too long because of the small window that the injector has to get the fuel in based upon rpm's above a certain amount of RPM's.
He is absolutely correct.

Exceeding ?what? amount will wreak havoc? 6ms? or 3?
You're not likely to wreck havoc with stock injectors. However, excessive pulse width will result in additional smoke and higher EGT's, without the benefit of additional horsepower.

On stock trucks with a stock HPOP, most of them will no longer make any additional power above 3.5-3.7ms of FIPW.

How much is too much HPOP pressure?
Stock will peak around 2700-2800. Most performance tunes call for around 3000. A few go higher around 3100-3200. That's about the highest I would ever take it.

Of course that all depends on how much pulse width the tuning is calling for, and if the HPOP can even keep up. It's very common to see performance tunes that call for well over 4ms of FIPW, and as pulse width rises, the HPOP pressure falls to 2000-2200, while IPR duty cycle pegs out.

There was just incorrect information posted. We were trying to point you in the right direction.

There's a difference between reading shop manuals for International and Cummins, and then actually having the real capabilities and experience of tuning Ford calibrations.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:08 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me this thread has been a very good read thanks to all for posting it has been very insightful.
Thanks Guys !!
It also confirms the fears I have about the what IF'S when a tunes starts playing with the FIPW. That also leads me to wonder about what is stock SOI and what or how tuners mess with SOI??

Originally Posted by Tugly
To answer a question I read here - 3 ms max FIPW and 3000 max ICP for optimum performance and reliability.
Rich I hope you don't mind me asking I just want to make sure I have the "Question" part of your answer correct. Since alot of different things have been thrown out here.
I am hoping the question to your answer is "What is the FIPW @ WOT on a Stock tune?" I reread this whole thread and that was the question I was looking for answer to.

Mind you I am still running stock E99 tunes with only a T500 and @ WOT I can get 3000 ICP but didn't check the FIPW since I only once had AE run on my truck. I wish I would have checked FIPW.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
It also confirms the fears I have about the what IF'S when a tunes starts playing with the FIPW. That also leads me to wonder about what is stock SOI and what or how tuners mess with SOI??
There are several different tables that make up FIPW and SOI.... various adders, multipliers, etc. Most tuners do similar things to these tables. Others make somewhat different adjustments.

However, pretty much everyone has learned how far not to go, or risk spitting rods out the side of the block.

The real difference in tunes/tuners will be the day-to-day drivability.

The "wow" factor goes to tuners who bring on the fuel and timing early, resulting in a pedal that is sensitive to the touch and makes your truck "feel" like a raped ape right off the bat. Those new to these trucks who add their first tunes are usually the most impressed here.

The "refined" factor goes to tuners who leave fueling/timing mostly stock earlier in the pedal, then bring on the power as your foot gets closer to the floor. IMO, this strategy gives you the better daily driver, and most people who have had these trucks for a while are more appreciative off this type of tuning.

One of the key maps responsible for the difference in approach is the Fuel Pulsewidth Multiplier Table. Tunes that are a bit more touchy/smokey usually have quite a bit more added to this table. This also tends to result in tunes that have higher FIPW.

Here's the stock table:

And here's an example of a modified table:

So let's say the FIPW table calls for 2.8ms at WOT, and you've removed all the adders (also known as "subtractors"), and then you increase the PW multiplier so that you take that base value and multiply it by 1.7. Now suddenly you're at 4.7 ms of FIPW.

It's a rough example, but you get the idea of how easily it happens. And yes it is quite common.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several different tables that make up FIPW and SOI.... various adders, multipliers, etc. Most tuners do similar things to these tables. Others make somewhat different adjustments.

However, pretty much everyone has learned how far not to go, or risk spitting rods out the side of the block.

The real difference in tunes/tuners will be the day-to-day drivability.

The "wow" factor goes to tuners who bring on the fuel and timing early, resulting in a pedal that is sensitive to the touch and makes your truck "feel" like a raped ape right off the bat. Those new to these trucks who add their first tunes are usually the most impressed here.

The "refined" factor goes to tuners who leave fueling/timing mostly stock earlier in the pedal, then bring on the power as your foot gets closer to the floor. IMO, this strategy gives you the better daily driver, and most people who have had these trucks for a while are more appreciative off this type of tuning.

One of the key maps responsible for the difference in approach is the Fuel Pulsewidth Multiplier Table. Tunes that are a bit more touchy/smokey usually have quite a bit more added to this table. This also tends to result in tunes that have higher FIPW.

Here's the stock table:

And here's an example of a modified table:

So let's say the FIPW table calls for 2.8ms at WOT, and you've removed all the adders (also known as "subtractors"), and then you increase the PW multiplier so that you take that base value and multiply it by 1.7. Now suddenly you're at 4.7 ms of FIPW.

It's a rough example, but you get the idea of how easily it happens. And yes it is quite common.
Curtis thank you so much for explaining it in a manner that I could understand and it is helping me get over my phobia about tuning. It helps me to be able to ask more intelligent questions when it comes to finding someone to write me a tune for my spare pcm. Because I just want 1 tune and I don't care about the "WoW" tune I am looking for just a "Refined" tune that will cover all my needs.
So this was very educational info.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:28 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i look like Ed's dog pic, tryn to understand them colored graphs..lol. Real quick...can u interpret the "m.g' number to the "us" number i see on Torque...would it be, example..2.8mg is 2800us/ Thank you...(back to regular scheduled program)

Old 04-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
i look like Ed's dog pic, tryn to understand them colored graphs..lol. Real quick...can u interpret the "m.g' number to the "us" number i see on Torque...would it be, example..2.8mg is 2800us/ Thank you...(back to regular scheduled program)
The X axis (starting at the left and going down towards the right) is ICP in MPA. On the high end of the scale 21 MPA is 3045 PSI of ICP.

The Y axis (starting at the right and going down towards the left) is engine oil temp in Celsius.

The Z axis (going up and down) is the multiplier as just a plain number.

Basically that table looks at engine oil temp and ICP, then at those specified values gives a multiplier number that is then used to multiply FIPW. So let's say the engine oil is at 90 degrees C and you're pulling a load uphill so ICP is at 18 MPA (2610 PSI). Your multiplier according to that modified table would be around 1.6. So the pulse width would be multiplied by a factor of 1.6 to increase the final FIPW. That's a huge jump in fuel when you're trying to tow a trailer uphill.

That table is mainly designed for cold temperature operation, and has some hot engine variation in there too. The normal operating temperature range is flatlined on the stock table, meaning that when the oil temps are at NOT, there is no FIPW multiplication in stock form.

Quite often this table is what is modified to increase pulse width. The reason is because it's far easier to just increase FIPW multiplication across the board than it is to fine tune the pulse width map itself. The downside is you get a dirtier running truck with more smoke and often have extremely high pulse width. It's also very difficult to control fueling and thus EGT's when you're trying to pull a trailer. Because you can downshift all you want, but when ICP climbs, pulse width is multiplied dramatically. That's why folks can't tow in something such as a race tune that would use such an extremely modified table like this one.

Build a race tune that doesn't use that table to multiply FIPW, and you can actually tow with it in most scenarios. In the end the same power can be achieved, but the pedal feel would be totally different. So would the smoke output, and EGT's through much of the pedal range.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

The "refined" factor goes to tuners who leave fueling/timing mostly stock earlier in the pedal, then bring on the power as your foot gets closer to the floor. IMO, this strategy gives you the better daily driver, and most people who have had these trucks for a while are more appreciative off this type of tuning....
You are describing me here. It's easy to think one thing at first, then learn another with observation and a scan tool.

Stock tune: I've seen 2400 - 2500 PSI max ICP on a number of trucks, but 2700-2800 is most common. FIPW doesn't go over 3 ms when the ICP is correct.

Here is stock Stinky (3 ms max FIPW) with air mods only:

Here is tuned Stinky (4.5ms FIPW max).

These data sets were taken in the early days when I was trying to find my loss in power (low ICP)... it was one of the initial reasons for buying a scan tool. I didn't know to look at FIPW then, but as soon as I did load the FIPW into the data set, I saw the 3 ms vs. the 4.5 ms and started asking questions.