1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy reading build threads with non Ford drivetrains?
Sure, all build threads are good.
69.15%
No Ford drivetrain no interest.
30.85%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Sorry I don't want to leave mopar guys out either !
There you go, Ford tough with Mopar muscle!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
It's your truck, why should anyone dictate what you do with it but yourself, your truck your money and your smiles.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm putting a 5hp briggs and stratton in my 58 panhead.... Parts are so cheap and easy to get... had to stir the pot

and please no Harley guys get upset. I am only joking

Old 04-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel there is something that can be learned from any build, even if it is what NOT to do.
Do what you want, I'll keep mine all Ford.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 302 in my 53 F100 but would have no problem changing to many other motors including a different Ford.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
To each his own, i like them all! My personl preference is a Ford Drive train in a Ford. I like both stock and modified, I own and appreciate both for what they are

Question, How many Corvette owners would put a Ford drive train in their car? (Try listing this on a Chevy site and see what you get?)

Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bryanknie
To each his own, i like them all! My personl preference is a Ford Drive train in a Ford. I like both stock and modified, I own and appreciate both for what they are

Question, How many Corvette owners would put a Ford drive train in their car? (Try listing this on a Chevy site and see what you get?)
I completely understand that, and I would never put anything but a Ford engine in a Mustang or any other Ford passenger car. For some reason I look at the old trucks more as a blank canvas and more open for customization, no matter what the MFG.
When I used to work at a parts store and someone needed a part for an older IH truck it was pot luck on figuring out just what brand of part was in there, most of the time it was made by another MFG and we needed the old part to match it up!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
When Chevy introduced their first OHV V8 in 1955, it was a Hot Rodder's dream come true.

Here was a compact engine that could be installed in T, A and early V8 engine compartments without modifying the frame rails and the firewall.

All the other OHV V8's during this time frame were too wide, so mods had to be made.
That is very interesting..... thanks, Bill.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
LEO56F100
Junior User
What drives me nuts and this is just my opinion, I'm a ford guy blood deep and have owned nothing but fords my whole life. The thing that drives me crazy is a Chevy or any other make of drive train in a ford. Chevy motors don't make anymore hp or tq then a ford nor are they superior. And please don't tell me they are cheaper or have more parts available. That's bs! Fords small block 260/289/302/351w have plenty of parts stock or aftermarket to install them into anything. I have built many drag cars and from my personal experience you can pretty much buy anything for all brands. But that's not and excuse to install another brand of drivetrain in a ford. Tell me how many guys put a ford in a gm vehicle?? How many Chrysler guys swap out their mopar for a ford or Chevy engine?? I'd say about none of them. Just my opinion. If I see a vehicle no matter how nice it may be for sale or at a show with a other make of engine I pass it by. Here's another thought. Say for example you have a ford with a flat head or y block and want another v8 in its place. Why not install a 289-302-351-etc or a modern ford v8 or v6. Why does it have to be a gm! Chevy always needed a 350 to compete with the ford 5.0l even today the ford 5.0 goes head to head with the Chevy 6.2 and dodge 6.2. Bigger isn't always better.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO56F100
What drives me nuts and this is just my opinion, I'm a ford guy blood deep and have owned nothing but fords my whole life. The thing that drives me crazy is a Chevy or any other make of drive train in a ford. Chevy motors don't make anymore hp or tq then a ford nor are they superior. And please don't tell me they are cheaper or have more parts available. That's bs! Fords small block 260/289/302/351w have plenty of parts stock or aftermarket to install them into anything. I have built many drag cars and from my personal experience you can pretty much buy anything for all brands. But that's not and excuse to install another brand of drivetrain in a ford. Tell me how many guys put a ford in a gm vehicle?? How many Chrysler guys swap out their mopar for a ford or Chevy engine?? I'd say about none of them. Just my opinion. If I see a vehicle no matter how nice it may be for sale or at a show with a other make of engine I pass it by. Here's another thought. Say for example you have a ford with a flat head or y block and want another v8 in its place. Why not install a 289-302-351-etc or a modern ford v8 or v6. Why does it have to be a gm! Chevy always needed a 350 to compete with the ford 5.0l even today the ford 5.0 goes head to head with the Chevy 6.2 and dodge 6.2. Bigger isn't always better.
I had your attitude, only for chevy, when I was around 18. Once I grew up and understood it is all just a bunch of steel that means nothing I got to see a lot of cool stuff I used to ignore and meet a lot of good people I used to consider confused
You wouldnt like me, whatever I have sitting in the corner gets welded to something whether it belongs there or not!

Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
LEO56F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
I had your attitude, only for chevy, when I was around 18. Once I grew up and understood it is all just a bunch of steel that means nothing I got to see a lot of cool stuff I used to ignore and meet a lot of good people I used to consider confused
You wouldnt like me, whatever I have sitting in the corner gets welded to something whether it belongs there or not!
I'm not judging you or anyone else. I just don't agree with it. If I took a corvette with a 427 and scrapped it and put a 427 ford in its place I'm sure most would cry wolf. Except no gm product is worth doing that to

Old 04-16-2015, 04:59 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Let me start with I have been mostly a Ford guy. Willard, my 49, gave up the original flathead sometime before 1962. I don't know the history prior to 1962. When the previous owner bought it Willard had a 56 Nailhead Buick which he drove for about 15 years before I purchased him in 1977. I drove Willard with the Buick for about 10 more years before he went for a long rest. He now sports a 383 knock off of the 383HT crate motor. Willard is the only "hot rod" that I have or had. My other antique cars have been originals including 2 with Flathead power that I sold a number of years ago. I did put about 50,000 miles on flatheads however Willard has been modified for so much of his life that I stayed the course.
You ask why the GM? Well I have a friend that is an engine builder for many years and has built well over 1000 sbc's so it was a sensible choice given his experience. He has built all kinds of engines over the years but far more SBC's than anything else, many of which were race or high performance engines. He did the machine work and I assembled it---in his shop.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I like to have everything ford,but money is so hard to come by so if you alreadyy have a drivetrain i say use what you have & the money that you would spend on a drivetrain you can spend on the rest of your truck,but that is just my opinion good luck with your build

Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
My next project will be a little out of the box as well. I'm starting on a 1926 Model T roadster pick-up. My original plan was to use a Packard flathead straight 8 but I might change that to a Pontiac flathead straight 8. It will all depend on which engine is in better condition when the time comes (I'm leaning towards the Packard).

I'm hoping to start laying out the frame this summer.

Bobby

Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
I think they're great regardless. I love the looks/shape of the F100...I honestly dont care whats under it. I actually prefer to see something else in it. I may end up going a different route myself. Problem i have, there are very few American V8s in the UK, and when they do pop up, they are silly expensive. If i do eventually end up chasing big power, getting it from an american V8 will be a big expensive ask. What i do have access to are lots of domestic engines. Audi V8s, Jaguar V8s etc. I can buy a Full Jaguar donor vehicle with 400hp supercharged v8 cheaper than just a decent American unit. I havent made solid plans yet, but it would be no big surprise if i end up going down that route or the route of something more radical.

Quick Reply: Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?