1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy reading build threads with non Ford drivetrains?
Sure, all build threads are good.
69.15%
No Ford drivetrain no interest.
30.85%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I actually like Chevys and gmc trucks as well! It makes no matter to me it's a hobbie to enjoy! A lot of my Chevy friends would always bust my *****, but were usually the first to help me out with my ford projects! And me with there Chevy or Pontiac olds or Buick projects, as long as it's old iron it's cool to me!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry I don't want to leave mopar guys out either !

Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.....
At the end of the day, if you are working on or driving an old truck around and it puts a smile on your face....that's all that matters.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The one thing that makes this place different from almost every other forum is the camaraderie and willingness to accept and help each other no matter what their choices might be. Excluding anyone because of their drivetrain choice is throwing away the baby with the bathwater. Plus, when I started in this obsession, the whole idea of hot rod building was to use whatever parts were obtainable/available to build whatever best met your personal vision of the ideal vehicle for you. Unless you are using the stock for the year drivetrain, it no longer matters what manufacturer made your engine it isn't what Ford originally decided should be installed, he never intended for a small block, big block, V10, mod motor, ecotec V6 or 1600cc 4 cyl. to power a 48-56 truck even if those engines were later manufactured in a FoMoCo factory. I Don't see any value in stirring this pot.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Sorry I don't want to leave mopar guys out either !
I have a Cordoba IFS and a Jeep Cherokee wiper motor and I don't feel left out. Oh yea, I have a SBC 700R4 in front of an Explorer 8.8 rear with 3.83 gears, limited slip and disc brakes. You know that Ford 8.8 will run all day long and lay down rubber like crazy and it never has complained about or criticized what's in front of it.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't care what you do to your truck, and I might find it interesting. But I may also skip through your thread if I don't find what you're doing of interest.

But it's your truck. Do what you want.

I am trying to keep mine "mostly" stock. But if my 226 goes kaput, I don't know if I'd try to fix it or replace it with something more modern. Hopefully I won't have to make that choice.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What ever you can afford or have kicking around, is ok with me, but in my truck I prefer to use as many ford parts as I can. I got a jeep wiper motor and power booster with pedal and master cylinder for free. Steering box is toyota, so I really can't take pokes at others who have veered from the straight and narrow. The calipers are gm

I originally intended to restore my truck stock but the further I got into it I began to realise that it would take forever to complete. The whole running gear had some kind of problem. I had a 351w and c6 sitting around from another project. It was so much easier to put that in than do a complete rebuild. After that it just snowballed.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:43 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dave,
I like all old trucks & the effort & pain & sweat it takes to get
them back up & running. I like to see how people tackle challenges
& work around them. I don't care what engine is used - the weirder the better. I really like the trucks that are running Mercedes Diesels! How fun is that!

I like that this is a friendly international community where everyone pitches in & helps each other out.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (With Chevy Corvette Tail lights).

Old 04-16-2015, 01:05 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Myself, I prefer a Ford driveline in my Ford truck, but if I ever built a 57 Chevy (which happens to be a car I've always admired) I would definitely use a Chevy driveline in it. That said, to let a thread die because of a non ford driveline was used in the build would be silly. I enjoy all the trucks here on FTE, so post away if that's what your asking. I probably would not ask how to get more power out of a SBC on this particular site, but other than that, I think your cool. That just my 2 cents.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dressing up ford motors

Originally Posted by ZOOT
I'm going through this now. I'm a Ford guy, and I did put a 289 in my F-1, but I'm working on a Model A coupe and although I want to put a Ford in a Ford, the SBC is sooooo much easier.
With the new spray chrome they use now its easy to chrome anything that you can spray paint. So a old ford flat head can be made to really look great in a model A. That would be my first choice.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy seeing a good build thread, no matter what flavor drivetrain. I've learned much from studying some of the build threads here, and not all of them had FoMoCo power. Variety is the spice of life, right?
I personally prefer Ford power in my truck, and am going through great pains and expense in replacing the SBC that was in my F1 with SBF power. My choice.
None of my "Brand X" powered friends have given me any grief for my choice, and have even been supportive. I can at least, act in kind.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Some of the choices on what to put in these "Hot Rods" goes back to 50's & 60's. We didn't have any money and wanted a driver. What ever you could afford, or could find, went into your ride. I don't remember anybody arguing over "you've got the wrong engine in that". We were just happy to be driving something that was ours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lt-thread.html

__________________________________________________ __
48 Ford F1 - Darkside
46 Ford Tudor - Lightly Toasted

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
I like reading all the build threads here. And there are many modifications I see made that I have no desire to do to my truck, but I like seeing them anyway.

So put whatever engine you want into your truck. After all it's your truck. Just don't go trying to stick in in mine.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Mine came with a Chevy engine. So, I really had no actual choice. It is a custom truck anyway and that was one of the reasons I thought "what the heck?" I love it. Just wish I could drive it....sob sob

Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
I had a 351w and c6 sitting around from another project. It was so much easier to put that in than do a complete rebuild. After that it just snowballed.
Its amazing how big and fast things snowball....LOL

Again...this is a great hobby. When you have an old truck you make a friend wherever you go.

Bobby

Quick Reply: Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?