1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy reading build threads with non Ford drivetrains?
Sure, all build threads are good.
69.15%
No Ford drivetrain no interest.
30.85%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
The oil pan bit may of been true back in the 50's and 60's but now you can get the Ford oil pans in pretty much any configuration. Thanks to the Fox chassis Mustangs The old dual sump pans are pretty easy to fit.

The other thing is the whole sbc cost less to build argument. I think it's total BS. There is so much aftermarket support for the SBF V8's you can build a nice 302 just as cheap as any sbc.

Plus any Ford engine just looks better then a sbc or ls!
From my experience a SBC is much cheaper to build or to buy than a SBF. Go and price crate motors and see, Fords are much less popular and therefore much more expensive. I have always been a Ford person, but I also know a good motor and transmission when I see one. And why would you care what anybody else does in their own truck? Both motors are designed in the USA, both have parts made elsewhere. Who really cares except each individual owner.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM
DW SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
I'm a Ford guy. My feelings are if you are building a Ford, then build a Ford.

Ford's built way too many good engines not to be able to pick one to use in a Ford truck.

If you've got to have a sbc or what ever brand engine then pick up that brand of truck to build.
What you are failing to recognize is your opinion doesn't have any value for someone else. Build YOUR truck YOUR way. That's it. Fund my build and you got yourself a deal!! Seriously. As simple as that...
Unfortunately current Ford drivetrains are expensive. I gave real world data.

BTW - love the new Mustang. I will own one in time. Definitely one of the V8 cars. Probably the GT350. I'm not anti Ford. Just financially practical.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Many years ago, when the forum was privately owned, it was decreed that if you were using something besides a Ford engine, you were welcome to participate, but had to keep questions about your non-Ford engine to a bare minimum. The 48 - 60 forum (as it was configured then) was the only place where this dispensation was made, because of the need to replace our older engines. I guarantee you, people in the newer-model forums don't wrangle with this issue!

Here's a 13-yr-old thread where it is spelled out;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...s-in-f-1s.html

See also the final post in that: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...tml#post354259

All the same arguments on both sides of the fence....

Things are very different now that IB owns the forum.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Guys,
I did not put up the poll to start a war or whatever. When I started posting the build threads in 2013 I was welcomed here, unlike the HAMB which at the time declared war on suspension swaps and similar mods.
I really appreciated the enviornment here and felt good about trying to help out where I could on basic mechanical and fabrication stuff, I really cannot help on hard core Ford specific stuff because I just dont know it as I know GM. Just the way it is.
I did not start building my trucks to **** anyone off or even as a planned event. I was out in my 37 Buick and a guy asked me if I was interested in a 51 Ford. Ford car? Not really, I have no parts stock and therfore would be an expensive build. Ford truck? No idea, I didnt even know what they looked like, but I had just bailed out on a GMC truck build that was just too rusty to save and I wanted to build a truck. No way was I looking for a Ford truck, I tend to stay with what I am familar with.
So long story short I bought two Ford F1s from the same seller and started up with a build. I know zip about Fords, have owned over 400 GM cars and trucks over the years, and have stockpiled parts for the last 25 years from various GM cars and trucks. I have dozens of engines, transmissions, and rears from all different makes but all GM, so that is what I am familiar with.
The regulars here gave me tons of info on the trucks and I learned about the differences and really fell for the F1 body style and other early Ford trucks.
I went with a GM drivetrains because I have them on the shelf, I am not rolling in cash, and for a budget build I need to use what I have. Guys here didnt seem to mind. In fact I found the community here so open that I was going to see if anyone wanted to see my next build (56 DODGE on a late model frame swap, something rarely done nicely but maybe someone wanted to see the procedure even if not a Ford!)
Not until recently did I see pretty strong posts against non Ford engines. I wasnt sure if the overall community had changed to a more hard core Ford stance, as opposed to when I started posting, so I threw up the poll as a sanity check. Out of respect for the guys here I wanted to make sure it was still cool to continue the build threads.
If this poll is causing too much grief then I think it is better to let it fall to the bottom. I will finish out the builds but there will be no direct focus on the drivetrain, only fabrication info since that applies to every MFG.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 PM
DW SD
Senior User
Maybe the question is: is a Ford truck still a Ford without a Ford drivetrain?

I think it is still a Ford. But perhaps not.
Glad to go elsewhere if this thought goes against the grain here. Not here to ruffle feathers.

Doug

Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
From my experience a SBC is much cheaper to build or to buy than a SBF. Go and price crate motors and see, Fords are much less popular and therefore much more expensive. I have always been a Ford person, but I also know a good motor and transmission when I see one. And why would you care what anybody else does in their own truck? Both motors are designed in the USA, both have parts made elsewhere. Who really cares except each individual owner.
I said build not buy. Some guys/gals still like to build their engines.

When someone post a thread with a poll I think it's only fair for both sides of a discussion to post their opinions. So I posted my opinion. Once someone buys a vehicle it's theirs to do with whatever they want to, as long as it's legal. But I can still have my opinion.

I don't want to chase off anyone from this site. Everyone has the same right to post to build threads. No matter what powers their trucks. I usually loose interest once I see a none Ford power plant and move onto the next thread unless there is some cool metal work, etc. I do the same thing at car shows. I go to check out the Fords and once I see a non-Ford engine I move onto the next Ford. It could be the best looking Ford on the planet, but I just loose interest after knowing it's heart isn't Ford. And that's my right to feel that way. Just like the person that built the vehicle had the right to power it the way they chose to. If it's a cool build thread and I think the person won't take it the wrong way I may give them some good nature d ribbing about their engine choice. But I try to use the emoticons to let them know I'm just kidding around.

Originally Posted by DW SD
What you are failing to recognize is your opinion doesn't have any value for someone else. Build YOUR truck YOUR way. That's it. Fund my build and you got yourself a deal!! Seriously. As simple as that...
Unfortunately current Ford drivetrains are expensive. I gave real world data.

BTW - love the new Mustang. I will own one in time. Definitely one of the V8 cars. Probably the GT350. I'm not anti Ford. Just financially practical.
Dude you seriously need to lighten up. That's the thing about opinions, we all have the right to have one. I'm not breaking down garage doors and forcing anyone to run a Ford in their Ford.

I'm having a hard enough time funding my own project! That's why it's taking me years to build it.

Yes "current" drivetrains are spendy. But if you want the best sometimes you have to pay. And not everyone wants to run a knew 5.0L or 5.2L. But if they do it's a great choice!! But Ford has also been building drivetrains for well over a hundred years. And due to the fox chassis Mustang's popularity the old SBF V8's can be built quite cheaply and are more then enough engine for these trucks!

I am building my truck the way I want. And I also took plenty of crap from people about doing a frame swap.

Originally Posted by DW SD
Maybe the question is: is a Ford truck still a Ford without a Ford drivetrain?

I think it is still a Ford. But perhaps not.
Glad to go elsewhere if this thought goes against the grain here. Not here to ruffle feathers.

Doug
It's still a Ford, just a lot less interesting to me. It's a good thing I don't matter one bit!

Why would you need to go anywhere else. There are plenty of people here running non-Ford engines or just don't care either way. Everybody is welcome here ( except for possibly me, in certain threads ) .

Stay and enjoy the cookies. I'll shut up now.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:12 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What makes FTE the wonderful site it is? For me it isn't arguing. This thread started as a quest for our opinions, we all have one and that is a healthy thing. But when the climate of any thread changes from friendly to something else, that doesn't seem to be the FTE I know and enjoy. Maybe I'm out of line here, and I know this is a hot topic but just sayin, Peace, Love, and FTE.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
And the moral of the story is: It doesn't matter how you build your truck. Someone, somewhere is going to think you are doing it wrong.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Marten
Laughing Gas
Received 250 Likes on 158 Posts
Opinions are like noses, everyone has one and when someone else voices there opinion the first persons nose gets all out of joint.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dave,
I think you have (2) of the best build threads going on this site.
I know how much money we spent on our truck & then I watch you put your trucks together for $6K!!!! I've thoroughly enjoyed watching your builds & I've learned a ton. You have almost singlehandedly brought the Jag front end up as one of the best salvage front end options for our trucks. I for one would love to see your next build. I know I'll learn something.

Looking good up there in New York!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I like seeing it all. There are so many cool things people are doing, it's all an opportunity to learn.
My preference in threads is for low budget and hopefully a y-block. Only because that is what I'm doing and I can learn more from those threads. If a thread has topics I'm not interested in or it is so over my head I don't bother with them. I'm going stock mostly based on my skill level and money. When you have neither you get limited.

I like all old cars and trucks. Brand doesn't matter to me. Although, I think our series of trucks is better looking. For cars, there is just so much cool stuff pre 1965.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
This thread got me wondering. Why de we get so hot and bothered about the engine issue when any other item barely phase anyone at all?
You won't find too many people upset about installing a Toyota Steering boxes, GM style calipers on brake swaps, GM style fuse boxes on wiring upgrades, offbrand radiators, offbrand fuel tanks, steering columns, etc.

I have quite a mixture of parts and manufacturers represented on my truck;
Ford
Cadillac
Pontiac
Chrysler
Dodge
Packard
GMC
Oldsmobile
Buick
Toyota
Mercury
Chevrolet
Etc

To me, its all fair game. This forum is great, I can freely talk about and show the modifications I've made and get good feedback and opinions. I try to help out where I can (if I can) and I typically learn something from the rest of you guys.
If you step back and take a look at it, our little section of FTE is pretty unique in the word of internet forums. This is a very friendly, respectful, and helpful group that is relatively free of the belligerence and hate of other sites.

OK, big group hug and a rousing kumbaya. Now, lets get out there and play with some trucks! I hope everyone makes some decent progress on their projects today.
Bobby

Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 AM
baldmustang
Freshman User
Ford vs Chevy motor

I like my Ford engines. I would like to see a modern 6 cylinder from a Mustang built into an old Ford. 300 hp should be enough and the engines are a lot cheaper than a V8. Plus you get to argue with computers and other difficult issues.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No mater how it gets down the road, If the title says it's a Ford ,then it's a Ford. Get over it. They are all beautiful in motion.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
What makes FTE the wonderful site it is? For me it isn't arguing. This thread started as a quest for our opinions, we all have one and that is a healthy thing. But when the climate of any thread changes from friendly to something else, that doesn't seem to be the FTE I know and enjoy. Maybe I'm out of line here, and I know this is a hot topic but just sayin, Peace, Love, and FTE.
Says it all for me, thanks Jim. You're not out of line. It's what this site is all about. I'm on a totally different project now, but I still hang around this site and want to share it here, not on HAMB where it will disappear in the giant volume of the threads. Less of and more of

Quick Reply: Ford builds without Ford drivetrains, yay or nay?