1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I am just hear to complain because a long time, honest vendor didn't give me everything I wanted....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
brendank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just hear to complain because a long time, honest vendor didn't give me everything I wanted....

Now I know that this is probably going to be received with hate as I'm a new member and dieselorings is a long time vendor with a generally good reputation. But I had a bad experience and thought I would share it anyways.

Ordered HPOP lines, fittings and some misc o-rings for my 02 7.3 on April 6th. All was well, order shipped fast. Received them today and there were two passenger side HPOP lines in the box even though I ordered one of each side. Called dieselorings and left a message, got a call back about half hour later.

I figured no problem, it was their mistake, they will overnight me the right part. It's a truck that I use for my business and it has been down due to a burst line. I need it by the end of this week and I originally ordered it with plenty of time to spare. Set some time aside from work to get the job done on friday.

When I said no problem, just overnight me the line, the guy on the phone immediately said no that's not going to happen. He wants me to mail my line back, pay for return shipping, take time out of my day to go ship it back, and then once he gets it, will refund shipping and ship me the part that was wrong due to his error in the first place. So I'm going to wait another week due to your mistake?? Uhhh, no. I'm not the guy who caused all of this. Your mistake, you deal with it.

I understand that everyone is human but assembling parts orders is not rocket science. Assemble the order and then verify it before it goes out. I've probably ordered from rockauto 150 times and have never once received anything incorrect. And then ontop of that, he's not willing to correct his own mistake in a timely manner. Didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about who I was dealing with.

Looks like I'll be ordering the correct line from somewhere else.
<aside id="div-gpt-ad-13" class="" style="margin: 0 auto; width: 300px; padding-bottom: 10px"> </aside>

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-15-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
So is that the only reason you joined? How many other sites did you joint to share the same message? If it's so critical you get your work truck back up and running, why are you now going to order parts again from somewhere else instead of just going to pick them up locally?

Also not sure why you're upset about having to take time out of your day to return an item you bought online. I thought that was part of the online buying trade off. If it wasn't right, you had to hassle with return shipping? Or did you just plan on keeping the extra line?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM
brendank
New User
Originally Posted by F350-6
So is that the only reason you joined? How many other sites did you joint to share the same message? If it's so critical you get your work truck back up and running, why are you now going to order parts again from somewhere else instead of just going to pick them up locally?

Also not sure why you're upset about having to take time out of your day to return an item you bought online. I thought that was part of the online buying trade off. If it wasn't right, you had to hassle with return shipping? Or did you just plan on keeping the extra line?
Yes, that's the reason I joined, and because I know that Bob is active on here. If you really want to know, I posted on powerstroke.org as well.

The local price was nearly $300 per side, and they would have been looking at around a week to get them in as well. So locally is not such a hot option.

The online buying trade off?? What trade off? A UPS man brings the parts to my door, which I order on the premise that the parts that I actually ordered will show up. Far more cheap and convenient than running around to parts places.

What I had planned on was that he would overnight ship me the correct part, which I would be willing to pay for over the phone (The part, not the shipping). Then I would ship the old part back and get a refund for its cost and its shipping. Not expecting to keep anything that's not mine, but there's no reason I should be out $$ or out time for a mistake that had nothing to do with me.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brendank
Now I know that this is probably going to be received with hate as I'm a new member and dieselorings is a long time vendor with a generally good reputation. But I had a bad experience and thought I would share it anyways.

Ordered HPOP lines, fittings and some misc o-rings for my 02 7.3 on April 6th. All was well, order shipped fast. Received them today and there were two passenger side HPOP lines in the box even though I ordered one of each side. Called dieselorings and left a message, got a call back about half hour later.

I figured no problem, it was their mistake, they will overnight me the right part. It's a truck that I use for my business and it has been down due to a burst line. I need it by the end of this week and I originally ordered it with plenty of time to spare. Set some time aside from work to get the job done on friday.

When I said no problem, just overnight me the line, the guy on the phone immediately said no that's not going to happen. He wants me to mail my line back, pay for return shipping, take time out of my day to go ship it back, and then once he gets it, will refund shipping and ship me the part that was wrong due to his error in the first place. So I'm going to wait another week due to your mistake?? Uhhh, no. I'm not the guy who caused all of this. Your mistake, you deal with it.

I understand that everyone is human but assembling parts orders is not rocket science. Assemble the order and then verify it before it goes out. I've probably ordered from rockauto 150 times and have never once received anything incorrect. And then ontop of that, he's not willing to correct his own mistake in a timely manner. Didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about who I was dealing with.

Looks like I'll be ordering the correct line from somewhere else.
<aside id="div-gpt-ad-13" class="" style="margin: 0 auto; width: 300px; padding-bottom: 10px"> </aside>

Try the same thing at any store and see what happens. Waltz in and tell them you ended up with a wrong part, and want the right part. Then tell them you didn't bring the wrong one with you and you want them to give you the right one at no charge now, and you'll being the wrong one back later. It ain't gonna happen, but that's exactly what you're asking someone to do. Your expectations are unrealistic in the real world.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, I'm not taking a side. But, Customer Service in this country has gone to hell. I have not personally had any issues with Diesel O-Rings but, I have had with other suppliers.

It used to be the "Customer was always right". That's a statement that has reasoning and is not always correct.

Regardless of where he/she bought something and how it was delivered is of no digression when one expects to receive what he/she has purchased.

With that all being said. I have, in the past placed incorrect orders and expect to have to pay return shipping and stocking fees. It was my bad.

I installed a set of Motorcraft front Brake Pads on an F150 at my house a month ago (I do a LOT of side work). They squeal outrageously. I purchased another set and installed them a couple weeks later on the same truck. Do you think for one minute Ford will allow me to return those. Hell NO! And I work for them.

The problem here is we no longer make widgets in the USA. We assemble. We no longer produce vehicles, we assemble them. The only thing we have is Customer Service and we suck at that 80% of the time.

Remember when the T.V. Repairman would show up and fix the T.V. on the spot? 90% of you have no clue what I'm talking about.

China, Korea, Mexico, Pakistan, and Japan, they're the manufacturers. We're the assemblers.

We no longer care. And therefore, we have ceased to be dominate power both home and abroad.

90% of you guys who have a San Tool have AE. Try and get some real customer service from them..... I dare ya!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
River19
Elder User
Before everyone gets too bent out of shape here, wouldn't the perfect compromise have been to have the vendor charge your card for the second part to cover his ****, then eat the overnight shipping cost on his end if in fact it was his error? Then once he gets the incorrect part back your card gets credited.

I'm not sure why that didn't happen but to me that seems obvious unless we're missing part of the story.........not saying we are, but this would have been a fairly common arrangement to compromise.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 PM
brendank
New User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
Try the same thing at any store and see what happens. Waltz in and tell them you ended up with a wrong part, and want the right part. Then tell them you didn't bring the wrong one with you and you want them to give you the right one at no charge now, and you'll being the wrong one back later. It ain't gonna happen, but that's exactly what you're asking someone to do. Your expectations are unrealistic in the real world.
Did you read my last post at all or no?

I said that I was willing to pay for the correct part over the phone before it shipped, and then be refunded the price of the incorrect part and its shipping once it was back in his hands.

I'm not expecting, nor am I entitled to get anything for free. I just want what I payed for, on the timeline that I payed for.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:25 PM
brendank
New User
Originally Posted by River19
Before everyone gets too bent out of shape here, wouldn't the perfect compromise have been to have the vendor charge your card for the second part to cover his ****, then eat the overnight shipping cost on his end if in fact it was his error? Then once he gets the incorrect part back your card gets credited.

I'm not sure why that didn't happen but to me that seems obvious unless we're missing part of the story.........not saying we are, but this would have been a fairly common arrangement to compromise.
As I said, that's exactly what I intended to do before I even called. Bob would not even consider the idea of shipping overnight as "I only make like seven dollars each on those lines and it would cost way too much to overnight it to you".

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, that's the reason I joined, and because I know that Bob is active on here. If you really want to know, I posted on powerstroke.org as well.
At least you're honest. I'll give you credit for that.

The local price was nearly $300 per side, and they would have been looking at around a week to get them in as well. So locally is not such a hot option.
I'm sure they can get it over nighted as well. Does the week wait include the local parts stores or just the dealership?

The online buying trade off?? What trade off? A UPS man brings the parts to my door, which I order on the premise that the parts that I actually ordered will show up. Far more cheap and convenient than running around to parts places.
The trade off comment was in response to your remarks about taking time out of your day like it's such a big hassle that should never have to be put up with. Like you said earlier, everyone is human and mistakes get made. That means online stuff needs to get returned. If it's as easy as waiting on the UPS guy to come pick it up from you, then the earlier remarks about going out of your way don't really apply.

What I had planned on was that he would overnight ship me the correct part, which I would be willing to pay for over the phone (The part, not the shipping). Then I would ship the old part back and get a refund for its cost and its shipping. Not expecting to keep anything that's not mine, but there's no reason I should be out $$ or out time for a mistake that had nothing to do with me.
What you had planned sounds reasonable, but I would have never guessed what you had planned from reading your first thread. I wonder if you clearly conveyed what you had planned to Bob when you spoke with him on the phone or if he too got the wrong impression about what your plans were.

I've dealt with Bob for a number of years and have yet to hear about him refusing to sell a product to someone. If you had truly offered to pay for the additional HPOP line up front to get it shipped out right away, I can't imagine why he would have refused to do so.

If he was under the impression that you expected him to ship the part out to you without receiving any money for it and then hoping you sent the other part back at some point in the future, I can see where most establishments would balk at that.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest you edit the title of the post. May be: "A Problem with Diesel O-Rings"

I don't think anyone is going to "avoid" them. I order a years supply of O-rings and such. I've used them, and other suppliers. I haven't "personally" had any issues that weren't resolved.

But, no one going to avoid them. If they're smart buyers, they'll compare the items and available vendors and get the most bang for their buck while maintaining quality and longevity.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
brendank
New User

I'm sure they can get it over nighted as well. Does the week wait include the local parts stores or just the dealership?
Week wait was at the dealer. And they wanted outrageous money for the line. Local parts stores don't even have a listing.

What you had planned sounds reasonable, but I would have never guessed what you had planned from reading your first thread. I wonder if you clearly conveyed what you had planned to Bob when you spoke with him on the phone or if he too got the wrong impression about what your plans were.

I've dealt with Bob for a number of years and have yet to hear about him refusing to sell a product to someone. If you had truly offered to pay for the additional HPOP line up front to get it shipped out right away, I can't imagine why he would have refused to do so.

If he was under the impression that you expected him to ship the part out to you without receiving any money for it and then hoping you sent the other part back at some point in the future, I can see where most establishments would balk at that.
Yeah, I should have been more clear in my first post. But the real issue that Bob had over the phone was that he would have to cover the cost of overnight shipping, not the payment for the line. It's very easy to ask for a credit card number for the line.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone else remember waiting a week or more for a part ordered locally ?
I do .
People are too caught up in the "now" . Got to have it now ....
When SNAFU happens ... People get bent out of shape , they go spastic !
No one is perfect , no one can be . So get things straight .. Bad customer service ?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
brendank
New User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Does anyone else remember waiting a week or more for a part ordered locally ?
I do .
People are too caught up in the "now" . Got to have it now ....
When SNAFU happens ... People get bent out of shape , they go spastic !
No one is perfect , no one can be . So get things straight .. Bad customer service ?
Waiting a week for parts is still a fairly common thing. The difference here is that I've already waited the week. So now I get to wait another and I get to deal with the downtime of a vehicle that I use for work, and the company that made the error bears no responsibility ? That's not the way it works.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you read my last post at all or no?

I said that I was willing to pay for the correct part over the phone before it shipped, and then be refunded the price of the incorrect part and its shipping once it was back in his hands.

I'm not expecting, nor am I entitled to get anything for free. I just want what I payed for, on the timeline that I payed for.
No, because it wasn't there when I started typing. And if that was the case, why didn't you state it in your first post? Quite frankly, now I think you're just making things up as you go along.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM
MSP-F250
Junior User
Originally Posted by River19

Very hard to say only getting one side of the story, but the above is what is completely reasonable. I'd be upset otherwise.

Quick Reply: I am just hear to complain because a long time, honest vendor didn't give me everything I wanted....