6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ordering a BPD oil cooler tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ordering a BPD oil cooler tomorrow!

Since my new OEM oil cooler plugged up after only 1500 miles even though I did a proper flush with Restore and Restore Plus, I'm fixing it once and for all this time and ordering a Bullet Proof Diesel oil to air oil cooler. I'd like to hear from any guys that have installed one about any suggestions you have. One question that I have in mind is about removing the refrigerant from the AC condenser. I'm thinking about taking it to a garage and having them draw the refrigerant out then driving the truck home, installing the BPD cooler, then taking it back to the shop and having them charge the AC. I'd like to just empty the condenser myself but I'm not sure how to do that.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would not disconnect anything on the AC, unbolt and hang the compressor out of the way. That way you don't have to tap into it. I have never installed a BPDcooler but that's what I would examine to see if I could. FWIW.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this install on my truck a few years ago. AC condenser does have to come out, and the environmentally responsible thing to do is properly recover the refrigerant before you open those lines. You'll need the proper equipment once you're ready to recharge anyways, so you can pull a good vacuum on the system. Might as well find a shop to do the evacuation and recharge of your system.

By the way, I've been very happy with my BPD setup- it's been in the truck for 4 trouble free years now.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM
dieselbogging
Senior User
I've got one too and it's been problem free. If you do alot of heavy pulling i would suggest the bigger cooler though.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The BPD cooler (at least the one I have) mounts to the A/C condenser - so the A/C condenser needs to come out (I did have an Ex-Ford Diesel mechanic do the install, so I don't know IF he removed it or not though )

I would suggest you consider the BPD cold-weather thermostat kit - IF you get 'winter'. I live in FL, and when it's 'cool' here (<50* F) even on the highway (NOT towing) my oil temps stayed in the mid-low 170s, I have a FIA cold weather front which I run and it solved my low oil temp issue w/o adding the cold-weather BPD kit.

I have no issues with A/C performance in the heat of summer - and I have 2 A/C units to keep the Excursion interior nice and cool.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Thanks guys, I'll take it to a shop and have them remove the refrigerant before I do the install then have them recharge it. I don't do alot of heavy towing, I tow a 16 foot mowing trailer quite often during the summer but it's not real heavy. Other than that, I tow my 35' 5th wheel camper but only a few times a year and not very far.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
I am close to making the purchase also. I'll go with the HD cooler remote filter, 7.3 fan and BPD water pump.

You might want to consider the bigger cooler. I have read several postings on different sites where guys made the mistake of buying the smaller one thinking "I won't need the bigger cooler" and fully regret it. Just a thought and opinion......if you have ANY doubts call BPD and run it by them. They are AWESOME and will definitely lead you down the right path in your decision.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by LSO1123
Thanks guys, I'll take it to a shop and have them remove the refrigerant before I do the install then have them recharge it. I don't do alot of heavy towing, I tow a 16 foot mowing trailer quite often during the summer but it's not real heavy. Other than that, I tow my 35' 5th wheel camper but only a few times a year and not very far.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:02 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by joe blow
I am close to making the purchase also. I'll go with the HD cooler remote filter, 7.3 fan and BPD water pump.

You might want to consider the bigger cooler. I have read several postings on different sites where guys made the mistake of buying the smaller one thinking "I won't need the bigger cooler" and fully regret it. Just a thought and opinion......if you have ANY doubts call BPD and run it by them. They are AWESOME and will definitely lead you down the right path in your decision.

Good Luck
I will do that, thanks! I'm on the phone with the stupid bank trying to get them to raise the daily limit on my debit card so I can make the purchase.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I would not disconnect anything on the AC, unbolt and hang the compressor out of the way. That way you don't have to tap into it. I have never installed a BPDcooler but that's what I would examine to see if I could. FWIW.
That's what I did with mine the first time I installed it. Helps to have a friend for an extra set of hands (I didn't), but it's readily doable without discharging the AC system.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
That's what I did with mine the first time I installed it. Helps to have a friend for an extra set of hands (I didn't), but it's readily doable without discharging the AC system.
I would really like to not have to discharge the AC. I'd like to hear more about how you mounted the oil cooler to the condenser without disconnecting the lines.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
I'm sure npccpartsman is spot on about being able to do it without discharging, and perhaps I'm biased towards discharging the system because I work in a shop and have an AC recovery system at my disposal. However, I know that it was nice to be able to lay that condenser on a bench and install the oil cooler. I don't think I'd want to try and run all those screws down on a fragile condenser while a buddy is trying to hold it steady and trying not to tweak the lines & connections.

To each their own, but you may end up saving aggravation and possible accidental damage by discharging the AC and being able to work on the condenser on a nice flat surface.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Hi tim,

I was wondering if it was.....The only problem with finding out afterward that it is not, is your truck is too torn apart to drive

So....with that said....you installed a kit without having to disconnect the system....PITA?

I am curious to know what does a shop cost to evacuate, pull a vacuum and recharge your a/c system for a job like this?

thanks
Joe

Originally Posted by npccpartsman

Old 04-17-2015, 09:59 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Hi tim,

I was wondering if it was.....The only problem with finding out afterward that it is not, is your truck is too torn apart to drive

So....with that said....you installed a kit without having to disconnect the system....PITA?

I am curious to know what does a shop cost to evacuate, pull a vacuum and recharge your a/c system for a job like this?

thanks
Joe
PITA, yes. Doable, yes. I used a bungy cord to hang the condenser from the hood latch and drilled it for mount holes. That being said, IIRC when I did my motor I had the AC professionally done and it was about $150 for everything. It was worth it.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi tim,

thanks
Joe
If you have a vacuum pump, it's a fairly easy job to pop the system and recharge.

I also purged mine with argon before I "sucked" it down. after leak checks (holds vacuum), it's only a can and a half or so of R-134a to fill it back up.

It ain't rocket surgery...........

Let me also add that I'm planing to install a BPD cooler this fall and I'll probably try to do it without popping the system too.............

\\

Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Well I ordered the BPD oil cooler, it'll be here Tuesday. Man that was a lot of coin to drop but I think the piece of mind of knowing I'll never have to worry about a clogged oil cooler again will be worth it! I'm leaning toward trying to do the install without discharging the AC, I was looking at the condenser yesterday and I can see how it is possible. I'll decide for sure once the oil cooler gets here and I get ready to get started.

Quick Reply: Ordering a BPD oil cooler tomorrow!