Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

stock IDI T vs Stock IDI, and holes in bumper ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
stock IDI T vs Stock IDI, and holes in bumper ?

I know the factory T IDI was a updated engine over a stock IDI with some beefier items. Was this really better and does it allow you to run more boost over the stock motor if running a Turbo ? How much better is Turbo mileage over stock IDI ?

Also the front bumper has holes in it to allow more air is this necessary and if you run a Turbo is the 94 bumper good to have ? Thanks a mill.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Put all your questions in one topic please. This is getting ridiculous.

That being said:
1. If you want to run high boost, you need headstuds. Period. No matter which block you have.
2. Mileage <65MPH is about the same. Mileage >65 is much much better with the turbo(~2200+ RPM), due to not starving the engine of air.
3. I'm running a turbo in my 88, no fan, and a stock-ish radiator. works just fine, hauling at highway speeds. I only run into heat issues when hauling a heavy load under 25-30 MPH for periods of time... but that's what the fan's /for/ anyway.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks, the T model I thought ran better head gaskets ? if true would this not make the T model better to run a turbo stock for stock.

Are you saying a turbo for light pulling around town does not add much ?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
If you have a problem keeping the engine cool with the stock bumper, you could just cut some holes in it like the 94 bumper. End of story.. Also, the 92+ bumper is curved slightly differently than the earlier ones, so may not fit right.

I'm pretty damn sure someone already answered some of those other questions in another thread in the last few days. It was probably in one of your many threads.

Head gaskets don't mean much of anything, you can run the turbo gaskets on an N/A. Studs like mentioned are more important.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
If the head gaskets did not mean anything why would Ford change them and no the ? was not answered, I would think if it ran better gaskets you could run a touch more boost over a NA IDI without blowing them.

Does a turbo do much for around town pulling like at under 50 MPH for power and gas mileage when say pulling 5000 pounds. I always pull a trailer.

By the way cut holes in the bumper is not likely to look like a factory IDI turbo bumper, just wondering if I should keep the one I have in case I want to put it on another IDI in the future.

You really did not answer the ? very well but thanks anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't know if Ford changed the headgasket or not. Either way, it doesn't matter, if you want to push more than about 15 PSI, you NEED studs. It doesn't matter if you're using the turbo IDI or the N/A IDI, you'll need studs in both.

Cut the hole in the bumper, then add the black trim around the hole....? I'm not up on the specifics on which trucks got the holes in the bumpers and which didn't. The bumper would be the same as the powerstroke trucks, so its not like they're rare. There is nothing else fancy in those bumpers, just holes for air to better reach the radiator. If it was really needed, you'd see ATS, Banks, and Hypermax telling you to cut holes in your bumper when you install their aftermarket turbo kits.
What I'm saying here, is you don't really need the "turbo" bumper with the holes in it.

Turbo's give you power whenever you're pushing the pedal. Whether its in driving in town, or on the highway, it will make a difference. Turbo's make a bigger difference when dealing with heavy loads or steep grades when extra power is needed.

For mileage, I don't really know. I think I saw a small drop when I put the turbo on my '88. But that also may have been caused by me hitting the skinny pedal more than before. Something about the turbo whistle and little bit more oomf when accelerating out from a stop....

Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High egts will kill a head gasket before boost becomes an issue. If you are planning to run stock type boost levels a n/a gasket should be fine. But crank the fuel and pistons and head gaskets will become a problem. If you want to run over stock boost levels head studs are a must. And preferably an intercooler.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks! 250 rwHP and like 450 to 500 pounds of torque is good to pull about how many pounds good ?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can pull as much as you can legally pull. I've pulled somewhere around 8-9K(My truck on a trailer) with my dad's 88, and it did it without complaining(though starting is a bit slow). Stopping is more of an issue than anything -- If you are going to be hauling a heavy trailer, GET YOURSELF A HYDROBOOST BRAKE BOOSTER.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:56 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks, no I do not plan on doing any heavy towing but I am trying to decide on what to get and build for my own personal keeper truck. I have decided on mechanical diesel for sure but just want to make sure if I ever decide to move a load up to like 10 or 15 grand the truck is up to it.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM
ConstantProject
Freshman User
Man! How old are you? 16-18? First truck? First forum? Make a new thread when searching does not yield you answers or make a build thread instead and keep updating and asking questions.
If you truly are older instead of posting so many threads about similar issues on a truck you want to fix, go out and start working on it. Search first ask questions when you don't understand something.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
There's no sense in dumping money into a truck you do not want to keep. Thanks for the advice. I pretty well know what I want to know now.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM
dropitlow88
Senior User
stock idi-t with 5 spd, 4.10 gears. pulled like a champ. this was before i installed gauges and turned up fuel/boost.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I want to find one of these with low mileage and snag it up, I had to have a truck so I bought one and could not wait on R N D parts to fix mine. I bought it on merit of how good the engine and trans were but the rest of truck needs work starting with front end.

If I had the new trucks motor in my old chasses then I would be set. I would swap it out but am better off just finding a low mileage 94 T. Thanks for chiming in and you sure have a pretty truck.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Originally Posted by Realslowww
I want to find one of these with low mileage and snag it up, I had to have a truck so I bought one and could not wait on R N D parts to fix mine. I bought it on merit of how good the engine and trans were but the rest of truck needs work starting with front end.

If I had the new trucks motor in my old chasses then I would be set. I would swap it out but am better off just finding a low mileage 94 T. Thanks for chiming in and you sure have a pretty truck.
Thanks. I gave $1700 for that with 155k. It has since nickle and dimed me to death, but is to be expected for an old truck. It still needs work but i dont see getting rid of it as an option.

Quick Reply: stock IDI T vs Stock IDI, and holes in bumper ?