Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Blinking Overdrive Light E350 1992 Econoline XLT 7.3 diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
New User

E350_traveller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Blinking Overdrive Light E350 1992 Econoline XLT 7.3 diesel

Hi guys,

I Just started my Roadtrip and i have a new Issue here :/

I had a blinking OD light two days ago and the van started to shift hard from 1-2 and 2-3, It was late in the afternoon so i dropped by the next Ford dealer i saw at the road. They checked my Transmission fluid level and refilled a little. There was nobody left who could have a look at the van so i was on my own. The Light came up blinking again, so i had a look here in this wonderful forum. I disconnected the battery to reset the code and had a look at the connections of the Speedsensor at the rear axle and the connector on the passenger side of the transmission and disconnected them. I couldnt figure out how to clean the connections because i couldnt reach the small contacts so i just put em back on.

The Problem is gone now and the light didnt come up again for 700kms now. BUT now it is shifting from 3-4 (approx. 60kmh)very fast after it shifted 2-3(approx. 50kmh).
It is shifting smooth though.
I somewhere read something about relearning the transmission after disconnecting the battery but cant find it anymore.
What could be the problem?

Im heading to lake thaoe now and to monterey california tomorrow and i want to get the thing serviced and checked. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good and reasonable mechanic down there? I dont want to get f*****up by someone who has no clue what hes doing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
HERE is how you can read the codes yourself. Then we can help make sure you don't get ripped off.

The transmission doesn't relearn anything. That didn't start with the diesel until the 2003 models.

There are about 50 different things that could be the problem. Without the codes NOBODY knows what's wrong.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM
New User

Allright Thanks!
Will try to get the codes tomorrow. I have a voltmeter.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM
New User

Ok here are the codes! Had to get a testlight since i have a digital multimeter.
I first have a flickr which could be a 1
then i have 26, 22, 23, 26, 22, 23, very long break, 1, 22, 29, 22, 29 End

I dont know what to do with the 1es. I doublechecked the breaks between the lights the codes should be like that.

As of the list on your link i have problems with the following sensors
26: Mass Air flow
OR Transmission Oil temperature
22: MAP Vacuum
23: Throttle sensor out of range
29: Vehicle Speed Sensor problem

Am i right when id say 29 and 26 (if its the transmission oil temperature Sensor) are the ones that are responsible for the Transmission Problem?
What to do next?
I forgot to mention that my speedneedle sometimes jumps a little. So Id thinmk i have a problem with my speedsensor.
Clean the connectors of the Sensors / plugs? How to reach the small contacts?
Can i just remove the sensor from the differentialhousing?
How to fix this?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The first flicker you saw was a high speed code output. Certain readers can read that and you don't have to wait for all the blips. Just ignore that. The second 1 is called a separator code. That tells you that the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) is over and the next codes are those that are stored in memory.

The 23 code will happen if you didn't hold the accelerator on the floor when running the test. If you didn't do that, just ignore this code.

The 26 and 29 are the problems. Was the transmission warmed up or cold? If it was cold I think the 26 will set, but that's been MANY years and I'm not sure.

The jumping speedo also indicates a problem. You can remove one bolt and pull out the speed sensor from the differential. The o-ring can stick, so it may not come out easily, but the one bolt is all that holds it in. Sometimes metal particles stick to the end of the sensor and cause bad readings. Somethings the sensor fails, and sometimes the wiring to the sensor gets damaged or corroded.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 PM
New User

OK ill ignore the 23 didnt hold The Accelerator.
The Transmission was cold.
I removed the VSS and there where no metal particles on it. Measured the resistance with 1050 Ohms. According to this thread this should be fine.
put it back in.
But i dont know where to find the wires in the front to check the circuit. They go in the wireharness and then somewhere upfront. but could not find where they come out.
Where can i find em. Should the wires be (LG/BK) and (RD/PK) aswell in my 92?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:39 AM
New User

Hi ,just had the Blinking OD Light yesterday again and hard shifting from 1-2. I Think i caused it by not having the Gear selector totally in but im not totally sure.

I drove the Van a little before i took new Failurecodes. And i put the accelerator down to avoid the 23.

So i have these codes left:
22: MAP Vacuum
29: Vehicle Speed Sensor problem
49: Transmission 1/2 shift problem – Transmissions

For the 29 does anybody know where the cables head to in the motorcompartment?
Where can i find em? Should the wires be (LG/BK) and (RD/PK) aswell in my 92?

The 49 error code is not very explanatory i can feel that something is wrong
Any suggestions for that?
for now ill reset the errorcodes by disconnecting the ground.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Post Fiend

Don't try to fix the 49 code until the 29 code is fixed. The 29 can cause the 49.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:55 PM