1994 Bronco overland expedition to the Arctic Ocean

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:11 PM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
1994 Bronco overland expedition to the Arctic Ocean

Hey all,

I'm not usually on this part of the forum. I usually stick to the 7.3 section. However, I have an upcoming trip and I'm looking for some support. I have a 1994 Ford Bronco that my Dad bought off the showroom floor. I've had it since 2000, and it's been my daily driver ever since. I brought my son home from the hospital in this Bronco in Dec 2000. It is truly a part of my family. This picture is from several years ago.

Long story shortened, I, along with a couple of buddies, am taking a trip to the Arctic Ocean this September (assuming Canada opens up by then).

A buddy of mine is working on sponsorship from some big companies. Without going into too much detail, a following on YouTube would help tremendously. If you are interested, check out Aussie Dog Garage on YouTube. Here is a link to the first video / introduction if you want to check it out.
A "like" and "subscribe" would really help us out with the whole YouTube thing. I'm still learning the whole video editing game, so please bear with me. I really hope the videos get better with time.

I have a lot to do before our planned departure date of 9/6/2021. A short list of projects are:
Gear swap to 4:10s with Detroit Truetracs front and rear
Rear axle bearings and front axle u-joints while I'm in there
Transfer case rebuild
Water pump replacement and hoses
Timing chain (maybe) while I'm doing the water pump
New Transmission cooler lines
Ham radio and antenna install
Sleeping platform, shelves and a fridge mount
Tool storage
Jerry can mount
Maybe a rear bumper
Full fluid change

It's a big list, and I want to have it done by June'ish to start some test runs / camping to make sure everything works as it should. I plan on documenting it all on YouTube. I'll try to update this thread as I go, but YouTube is where the money/sponsorship is, so I'll definitely continue to add videos. Any help or assistance with this whole project would be greatly appreciated!

And, as a teaser, I just finished my new bumper.

The bumper build is the second video in the series.
Currently, I have 3 videos. I hope to have more uploaded soon. Check it out!

Thanks again!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-13-2021, 09:10 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Subscribed. An adventure awaits! Very beautiful country up there. Very beautiful.

Ive been up there a couple of times.

Make sure when you go, you check ice conditions if you are leaving later in the fall sometime. At some point the Peel and McKenzie ferry’s are parked and wait for the ice to thicken up to open up the ice crossings. There is a road now to Tuk, last time I was up there it wasn’t in yet, everything was ice roads. Here’s a site for you. I think there is another one too, but I can’t remember it.
https://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/en/service...penclose-dates

Pack well. Once you’re out of Whitehorse, it gets lonely. On the dempster it gets more lonely! Should still be a fair amount of traffic in September/October. When I say a fair amount, you’ll probably see a couple of trucks, maybe a few campers still traveling in sept. Weather can turn in a moment. You haven’t seen white outs until you’re in an Arctic wind of 50+ mph, snowing, and everything on the ground is white. I’ve been trapped in Inuvik for days on weather. They gate the roads, and that’s it, you’re there. I’ve also been stuck in small towns a couple of times with no power, no fuel pumps...

Id make a reservation at eagle plains before you head out of Dawson. Dawson is a great little town. Usually lots of activity. Lots of fun. So is Whitehorse. If my wife and I weren’t tied to where we are, we’ve considered moving there. If you can, take the time to do a little panning, just for the fun of it!

Run good tires. I like bf Goodrich or Firestone at in summer these days. And Hercules avalanche xtreme in winter. 10ply/e rated. Cheap tires ruin many a day running those gravel roads. Even the paved roads can get rough.

I pack heavy. This is a list off top of my head for places like that when I go.

Extra fuel. I carry 20 gallons. X4 5 gallon jugs. You might need it. You might not.
x2 Spare tires. Several cans of tire inflator foam.
5 star. Sleeping bag, if it don’t go, I don’t go. Period.
45/70. Bears. Be aware. They will be on the mainland that time of year until the ice forms.
Matches, lighters, zippo. And fluid.
Survival Food and water. Again, be bear aware. Canned food is good, won’t spoil, and cooks in the can.
something to cook with. I have a single burner Coleman stove, pot, spoon. Extra fuel. It’s small, and works.
If you going off road exploring by yourselves. Shovels, winches, block and tackle, clevis, etc etc etc. No wire cable, just chains and tow straps.
Sat phone. Make sure it works up there. Some do not. If I remember correct, iridium does, global star does not.
Tools, parts, flashlights. spare gloves, hat, boots and socks. Spare windshield wipers. The dempster can turn into a messy mud bath in the rain.
I also have heavy parkas etc, you probably won’t need them that time of year. But a good winter coat might be nice, just in case.

If I had to narrow down my list. My 5 star, 45/70, matches, and a sat phone.

Most people use vhf radios these days, not cb or ham.

If you’re doing a lot of work to your truck ahead of time, I’d put some miles on before you go.
Imho. 3 guys in a Bronco. All the gear. The Bronco is going to get small, real heavy, real quick! Just a friendly thought. Buy a roof rack. Bolt it down. Just remember CofG changes with lots of gear or spare tires up top too.

One other general rule of thumb I try to follow out in the boonies. Once it’s started, I don’t shut it down. I’m always Leary of it not starting again.

Here’s a few pics the last time I was up there, winter, but gives you an idea. The last one is just how I pack my truck. The passenger side in the cab is packed full.

Make sure to make some time for a clear night to see the northern lights. They are spectacular.

And not trying to scare you, but Be bear aware. Polars are not to be underestimated.

The other thing I’d strongly suggest, is before you go, a week or so before. Load it all up with everything you want to take. Everything. See how it is for weight. And then drive it, see how it is at that weight and see how far you can go on a tank of fuel. You’ll probably get a better idea of how you want to load it, run it, etc etc. Make sure no one in your crew has a dui or anything like that. It’s inadmissible into Canada. You can do paper work ahead of time, and pay a fee, but not at the border. I’m not sure how you do it or how it works, but I know it can be done.

Have fun! Stop lots, there is lots to see on the way. One place I enjoy in Liard hot springs. Very relaxing on the drive. Good luck, make sure you post pictures.

Cheers,

Old 03-14-2021, 11:53 AM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Thanks for the info! I think I saw one of those pics in the 7.3 forum recently. That's definitely some good information and a good list of things.

As of right now, there are 3 of us going, but all 3 of us are taking our own rigs. I like the idea of extra vehicles in case anything goes wrong. As far as getting things ready, I want to have everything "ready" by the end of June. Then go on a couple of camping trips to sort everything out and make sure it works as advertised. I absolutely don't want my first trip with all my stuff to be to the Arctic. That's asking for trouble.

Once again, I appreciate it! I'll try to keep this thread updated!

Kyle

Old 03-14-2021, 12:56 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by ff lc freak
Thanks for the info! I think I saw one of those pics in the 7.3 forum recently. That's definitely some good information and a good list of things.

As of right now, there are 3 of us going, but all 3 of us are taking our own rigs. I like the idea of extra vehicles in case anything goes wrong. As far as getting things ready, I want to have everything "ready" by the end of June. Then go on a couple of camping trips to sort everything out and make sure it works as advertised. I absolutely don't want my first trip with all my stuff to be to the Arctic. That's asking for trouble.

Once again, I appreciate it! I'll try to keep this thread updated!

Kyle

Lol. Ok. Sorry, I thought you meant 3 guys, gear, etc etc and camping/tenting, all in one bronco!... Multiple vehicles solves a lot of problems...

Looking forward to the updates.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:17 PM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JJF20
Lol. Ok. Sorry, I thought you meant 3 guys, gear, etc etc and camping/tenting, all in one bronco!... Multiple vehicles solves a lot of problems...

Looking forward to the updates.
Yeah, they're good friends, but they're not THAT good of friends.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:33 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like a great adventure! I'll be checking this one out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Encho:
Old 04-24-2021, 05:40 AM
scgary33
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking Forward, to hearing about your trip, also. Have fun and be safe!